How many are going to hold off until a good promotion to get the note 3?

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Verizon offered the note 2 for $200 a while back, but they adjust the price from time to time. I got mine for $37 back in February from BestBuy. Verizon did sell the dna for free back in May. But true, third party typically have better deals.

What exactly are the questions one should ask so not to get burned on the secondary fee? Is it important or necessary to be vague/circumspect about the plan to eventually transfer the phone to the unlimited line?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What exactly are the questions one should ask so not to get burned on the secondary fee? Is it important or necessary to be vague/circumspect about the plan to eventually transfer the phone to the unlimited line?

I know best buy and Costco do not have a secondary etf.

Amazon, Wirefly, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Dell, Target, Overstock, Frys, Newegg, Sears, Sam's Club, circuitcity.com, TigerDirect.com, hhgregg, and Microsoft have secondary etf.

As for your question, just ask if there would be any charge if you buy a smartphone on a basic line, and say next month wanted to transfer it to another line and put the basic phone back on the line. But honestly, some salesmen may give you inaccurate information (whether intentional or accidental). I would advise that you do your research beforehand. I was given numerous inaccurate information by salesmen before, even multiple inaccurate information from the same salesman.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I know best buy and Costco do not have a secondary etf.

Amazon, Wirefly, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Dell, Target, Overstock, Frys, Newegg, Sears, Sam's Club, circuitcity.com, TigerDirect.com, hhgregg, and Microsoft have secondary etf.

As for your question, just ask if there would be any charge if you buy a smartphone on a basic line, and say next month wanted to transfer it to another line and put the basic phone back on the line. But honestly, some salesmen may give you inaccurate information (whether intentional or accidental). I would advise that you do your research beforehand. I was given numerous inaccurate information by salesmen before, even multiple inaccurate information from the same salesman.

Have you, personally, ever seen anything in writing that clearly states the secondary ETF policy one way or another? Is that in some contract that a seller lets you see beforehand just for the asking?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you, personally, ever seen anything in writing that clearly states the secondary ETF policy one way or another? Is that in some contract that a seller lets you see beforehand just for the asking?

Yes, absolutely. All retailers who charge the secondary ETF, also referred to as "Instant Savings Discount" have to have it posted. For example, here is Wirefly. Note that it depends on the retailer, the terms can be a little different. Just be sure to read throughly before agreeing. I never buy from a retailer that charges a secondary etf, but if they did, then they would have to have you agree to the terms when you buy the phone.

" INSTANT SAVINGS DISCOUNTS
Wirefly promises you savings in the form of instant discounts with no rebates or gimmicks when you sign up for wireless carrier service on a 2 year agreement. We are able to offer these great discounts because we get paid by the wireless carrier for having helped them get (or retain) a good customer. Delivering on this promise means that you must agree to maintain your agreement for a minimum of 181 days after activation. If we are notified by the carrier that they are not going to pay us because your phone has been deactivated during this period, then this may lead to additional charges.
To provide you with significant savings vs. buying in a retail store, the price you paid for your device includes an Instant Savings Discount from Wirefly.
By accepting this Instant Savings Discount, you agree to repay $200 of this discount ($400 for smartphones, tablets, and netbooks) and authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of this amount if, you signed up for a 2 year agreement and during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, your wireless carrier notifies us that the services you purchased have been suspended, disconnected, or deactivated, or if you return your purchase outside of the return and exchange provisions of our Satisfaction Guarantee.
Other than simply deactivating a line we?ve activated, your wireless carrier could notify us that you deactivated if:
You fail to pay the carrier in accordance with their terms and conditions
You transfer equipment we activate on one line to another carrier line, even within the same account
You activate this equipment on a new line of service with your current carrier and use it to replace an existing line by deactivating the existing line."

http://www.wirefly.com/about/purcha...e1=&refcode2=mobile&agent=&eid=&zipcode=48098

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I know I've already bitched about this, but, say -- following is a make believe scenario -- upon her request, if I upgraded my wife's dumb phone, but she found a smartphone requiring a second college degree to comprehend, wanted to go back to her old dumb phone, and handed that smartphone to me to do as I wish. While terribly disappointed with her decision and after much crying, I decided to move it to my line. So, the penalty for her cognitive shortcomings that didn't involve any sinister, malicious plans should be $200, dammit? :mad:

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Without question I'm waiting for a Black Friday type deal. My last 2 phones were a Galaxy from Radio Shack for free and a G3 from Costco for $29 both on Black Friday. I refuse to pay anymore than I paid for the G3 and I'll wait until that price becomes available. With Black Friday being as close as it is unless you've just absolutely got to have it now and don't care what the price is I don't know why anyone wouldn't wait until Black Friday.

ashley2180

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
My original plan was to purchase the GN3 on release day (October 2). But now, I may do as others have suggested and wait until Black Friday...maybe even right before Christmas. My main issue is paying Verizon over $100 in ETFs to switch to T-Mobile...and I just don't want to give them any more money than I already have to-I'm so mad at them already with their banishment of unlimited subsidized plans, lol! Plus my contract is so close to ending (on 12/20 this year).

But who knows, I may come to the board on 10/2 with a shiny new GN3 from Verizon with that awful "edge/max" plan for former unlimited data subscribers. Ugh. At the risk of sounding like my toddler...I want it NOWWWWW!!!!!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could have waited but honestly using a dumbphone for the last several weeks has cause several mental impairment and I must get a GN3 now, waiting 3.5 more weeks is truly a tortuous situation.

kanundrum17

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I have been going back and fourth on whether or not I should order now or wait until some coupon or some deal comes up most likely after october 10th/12th.

In the end even if one did (I don't expect more than a $50 discount even with amazon or lets talk). I went ahead and ordered the phone, if a discount does manage to come I can cancel it at least and get the phone that is cheaper.

Ordered online from vzw website under my family plan (I give everyone else phones off contract) and buy new ones for me :)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I would wait. Suppose the phone is released and has some global issue. I know the excitement is mounting but I'd let it be out at least a week or two and make sure the coast is clear.

Note 8.0

BoxerRumbleS

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I am also waiting until the price drops. I will wait until Black Friday, and maybe a week or two after. If the price still hasn't dropped I'm going to go ahead and get it anyways. I am itching to get one but I will be patient. It'll be my first Android phone as I am coming from an iPhone 4, and before that an iPhone 3G. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good deal from AT&T service soon!

DINGSTER1

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm Porting to AT&T on the7th of Oct so that's all the waiting I'm going to do for this baby. It will be my, first android device in a year, so I'm going BIG!

Sent from my iPad

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
2 years ago I got in on the ATT 1cent thanksgiving deal. Got a 1 month old HTC Titan for a penny. I am hoping they have another deal like that this year.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'll be buying this beast at full retail. I know that's a lot for a phone, but I work all of the time and I can! Can't wait for October 1st!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol