Will note 3 have mobile hotspot locked up for VzW

jetguat

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I havent read what they did for the GS4. Like many I have unlimited data still on my LTE device with VzW. But one drawback on a stock rom (I'm still on Droid Bionic) is that mobile hotspot was locked down tight. What about the Samsung G4 is it unlocked? how about for users with unlimited data? I'm wondering what to expect with the Note 3 (my next phone). For a time there were some good wifi hotspot apps in GP, but the only one that worked even started charging, sorta a joke if you ask me..)

Anybody on an unlimited data plan with an S4? what works for you? Are you stock or custom rom? Would like to buy an unlocked N3, but I think that will delay the phone even longer. As it stands I need to pay full price in order to keep my unlimited data. Would prefer to buy one without VzW bloat, but I dont want to wait that much longer.

thoughts, comments?

Last edited:

jetguat

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
On the bionic and many other phones that predated the (forced) switch the "Share" plan, the VzW rom's were modified to disable the mobile hotspot capabilities on phones that supported that functionality natively. So you needed to root you phone and put in custom rom's or tweak some internals to get the mobile hotspot working. There were some sotware apps that were hit/miss, but at the end of the day, USB tethering was really the most consistent. So I'm curious about the GS3 and GS4 which came after that switch. For the unlimted data users, is the stock mobile hotspot working or disabled in the rom, such that VzW tries to force you to activate within their service options.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I was asking bc my laptop, when connected to the phone hotspot, doesn't allow me to send email. But I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.

jetguat

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
exactly.....hotspot doesn't matter....just use foxfi and create your own wifi signal.

But you paid for foxfi though as with the new version, the limit the data and force way to many reconnections. So perhaps paying for foxfi is an option, and option to make use or something that is built into the phone. Pay foxifi or pay vzw. Neither is really reasonable when they are limiting a capability on a device you paid for.

So good discussion, but what about the GS3, GS4 and note2. How does to their mobile hotspot work with vzw?

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
There appear to be alternatives to Foxfi, but it's not clear whether they require a root, or don't work with selected phones. In any case, I'm not getting how they'd "bypass" the phone's mobile hotspot so that the SMTP server on my laptop would allow outgoing email come through.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Root the GS4, install a free WiFi hot spot app. As always keep in mind you are violating the TOS by doing so, blah, blah, blah but in all seriousness if you go hog wild they do have the right to terminate you with extreme prejudice and charge you :) but that doesn't seem to happen these days.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
But you paid for foxfi though as with the new version, the limit the data and force way to many reconnections. So perhaps paying for foxfi is an option, and option to make use or something that is built into the phone. Pay foxifi or pay vzw. Neither is really reasonable when they are limiting a capability on a device you paid for.

So good discussion, but what about the GS3, GS4 and note2. How does to their mobile hotspot work with vzw?

I paid one fee for the app and it works flawlessly. i don't have mine or my husbands force any reconnections. in fact for a while our internet at the house was messed up and he just used the foxfi everyday for his laptop. so no i don't want to pay verizon every month for a hotspot. and i don't mind paying a developer a one time fee for an awesome app that makes my life easier.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I sent a begging email to the Foxfi dev asking to do something to have the app work with my current phone. Unfortunately, I don't expect anything come out of all my begging and pleading. :'(

jetguat

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The one-time fee was a few bucks to give you unlimited time using Foxfi. Don't be so cheap.

Dale don't be so thick headed. I don't begrudge any developer the right to earn a living. But pull your head out of the sand. FoxFi is not a $$ app to enable a functionality artificially disabled by the wireless carriers. Its a $$ app to enable something that is built into the phone itself. Yes it works. I have it on my bionic. but its still a sham. Nobody should have to pay to have something enabled on a device they they bought/owe that was artificially disabled. That's my point. don't like it. cool. if you have money to burn I'll cook up some apps for you as well.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Dale don't be so thick headed. I don't begrudge any developer the right to earn a living. But pull your head out of the sand. FoxFi is not a $$ app to enable a functionality artificially disabled by the wireless carriers. Its a $$ app to enable something that is built into the phone itself. Yes it works. I have it on my bionic. but its still a sham. Nobody should have to pay to have something enabled on a device they they bought/owe that was artificially disabled. That's my point. don't like it. cool. if you have money to burn I'll cook up some apps for you as well.

Welcome to the mobile industry? Buy Google phones or Google Edition Phones if you want to avoid carrier restrictions / bloat ware.

Even then they sometimes can still lock it down. They always charge us for stuff we have on the phone. We use their network but most have data caps... If they go over by 100 MB they get 1 GB added at $10 for that 1 GB... Next month? Back to their cap even though they purchased that extra GB.

Point being your phone also has the capability for data and you pay for the data plan with it.. So to share that data they charge extra to use that tether. Not saying it's right.. Just saying it's the norm on what they do. Pretty much pay the small fee and have FoxFi forever and not have to worry again.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

DaleGriggs

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site

I have a few bucks to burn for a valuable tool that gets around the carries BS. If you don't like it, go to another carrier or pay the carrier $20.00 a month to do it.

jetguat

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Glad so many love FoxFi. I like it as well. That is until they pulled a 180 and decided to start charging current/existing users for it. I'll like to root the note 3, and go with a Free app and support that developers creativity. I see you dont agree, but to me is different to offer an app for free, then just turn it off in an upgrade that disables the primary functionality. In my book it would have been different had they just started off with it being a paid app. I have dropped plenty of $$ on paid apps, and will continue to do so. But at least for me, dont offer something, then simply take it back.

Maria Esponoza

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I havent read what they did for the GS4. Like many I have unlimited data still on my LTE device with VzW. But one drawback on a stock rom (I'm still on Droid Bionic) is that mobile hotspot was locked down tight. What about the Samsung G4 is it unlocked? how about for users with unlimited data? I'm wondering what to expect with the Note 3 (my next phone). For a time there were some good wifi hotspot apps in GP, but the only one that worked even started charging, sorta a joke if you ask me..)

Anybody on an unlimited data plan with an S4? what works for you? Are you stock or custom rom? Would like to buy an unlocked N3, but I think that will delay the phone even longer. As it stands I need to pay full price in order to keep my unlimited data. Would prefer to buy one without VzW bloat, but I dont want to wait that much longer.

thoughts, comments?

I have a VZW Galaxy S4 with unlimited. I am able to use the hot spot if I use Foxfi. If I use the Android Tethering App I can never get it to work. :(