Does the Note 3 have an IR sensor (Not the blaster)?

Roundpotato

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that the Note 3 has one less sensor dot on the front of the device in comparison to the Galaxy S4. Does it not have the IR sensor? I've seen the Air Gesture feature being used in a hands on video, and I also saw the Air Gesture toggle in the quick toggles. Perhaps the feature doesn't require the sensor but is merely aided by it? Or perhaps a different sensor is missing?

darkkterror

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
According to the Note 3 manual, there is certainly a Gestures sensor present. It looks like the proximity and light sensors share the same cutout, where as on the S4 they were separate. That would explain why there's one less cutout on the Note 3.

darkkterror

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
check out this video around the 1:15 mark. he claims the note 3 doesn't have an IR sensor in the front.

That would be because that guy has no idea what he's talking about. The Galaxy Note 3 manual clearly labels a Gestures sensor on the front face of the device, same as the S4. All of the gestures that guy mentioned in the video work on the Note 3. The holes on the top of the Note 3, in order from left to right, are: Light AND Proximity sensor, Gestures sensor, front facing camera. Again, like I mentioned before, the light and proximity sensors on the Note 3 share the same hole. On the S4 they do not. That is why the S4 has one more hole than the Note 3.

http://support.t-mobile.com/servlet.../SM-N900T_UM_English_PS_MI7_092413_F4_Web.pdf

There's a link to the manual of the T-Mobile version of the Note 3 (the one I have). On page 22 (as labeled on the page) it details the locations of all the sensors, including the Gestures sensor. On pages 47-48 it details all the motions and gestures (you know, the gestures that guy said wouldn't work on the Note 3 but they do).

So, would you rather believe some random guy in a youtube video, or the official Samsung manual?

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
i'm glad to hear that the note will offer air gestures (even though i may never use them). do you think the light and proximity sensors being in the same cutout will cause any issues?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech