USB 3.0/Quick Charge 2.0

VAHE999

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Anybody can aNswer my question?i have galaxy note 3...its not charging via usb...when i plug it into my pc the battery % goes down...I try to factory reset....after reset it works fine,but when i try copy videofiles in my phone after copying videofiles the % goes down again...what happening?its like my phone dont like videofiles????:':)':)'( SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH

jezperrott

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a dock for my phone, with a spare battery charger. All of the docks I have seen have the MicroUSB 2.0 socket and lead going INTO the dock, but the full USB 3.0 connector into the phone itself.

My question is, if the connector into the dock is only the MicroUSB 2.0 (single, old) socket, can it draw the necessary current from my Samsung supplied 2A AC wall charger, or will it just charge slowly? Is this just a case of poor design at the moment? The 90 minute charge time is something I would not want to lose, as this is a massive battery. Is it the extra bit on the 3.0 socket that draws the extra current?

Replies gratefully received.
Jez

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a dock for my phone, with a spare battery charger. All of the docks I have seen have the MicroUSB 2.0 socket and lead going INTO the dock, but the full USB 3.0 connector into the phone itself.

My question is, if the connector into the dock is only the MicroUSB 2.0 (single, old) socket, can it draw the necessary current from my Samsung supplied 2A AC wall charger, or will it just charge slowly? Is this just a case of poor design at the moment? The 90 minute charge time is something I would not want to lose, as this is a massive battery. Is it the extra bit on the 3.0 socket that draws the extra current?

Replies gratefully received.
Jez

Yes, it can, all the components are high quality. My note 2 was able to charge at around 2a and that had a microUSB 2.0 port.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
So ive been doing research on this quick charge 2.0 Qualcomm built into the 800 series of Snapdragon processors, to use the full potential of 2.0, it needs 1.5A so whatever charger your using, if it outputs 2A you're fine, the source is the one that controls the power drawn, so it will only draw 1.5A from the 2.0A so you'll be safe, and youll charge 75% quicker,
Qualcomm? Quick Charge | Qualcomm
from 240 mins to 96 mins, thats 4 and a half hours to an hour and a half....for a full charge!! on the fastest baddest phone in the world!

The charge you get from Samsung will most likely be 1.5a or 2.0a

If you look at the note 2 it came with this charger, model ECB-DU4EWE, and thats rated at 2A so this one should work with it too, im buying one and will test it with note 3 when I get it

Amazon.com: Samsung ETA-U90JWS ECB-DU4EWE 2A Travel Charger with Cable for Galaxy Note 2 - Non-Retail Packaging - White: Cell Phones & Accessories

96 minutes is a lie. 2h 10 minutes is my best charge time with stock charger. Which would be 130min

jedi105

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Wall wart and cable that comes with the phone will charge pretty quickly. USB 3.0 port on computer with the Samsung data cable charges about as quickly. Wall wart with USB 2.0 data cable plugged into a dock that has a 3.0 connector to the phone WILL NOT CHARGE FAST AT ALL. My phone took all night to charge from near dead using that setup. Now, connecting the phone to a USB 3.0 port on the computer works a little weird for data transfer. I found that if I try to drag and drop files to the MicroSD card, it didn't work. Windows explorer would hand up trying to open the MicroSD card. If I tried to drag and drop to the internal phone storage, it was very fast. I read somewhere that to transfer to the MicroSD directly you would need to disable fast charge but I have no idea how to do so. Still, it does what it says it will do.

Nerds2You

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread, hopefully I can clear up some things.

The note 3 does support quick charge 2.0 but as of this writing I can't find any chargers that support it. Quick charge 2.0 requires a specific quick charge device that has a chip in it that communicates with the phone to regulate the charge and can charge at up to 1.65A. The phone is also backwards compatible with quick charge 1.0 which does not require any special charger other than it must output 1.5A or graeater. Most tablets come with a charger that outputs 2 A or more and the phone will automatically regulate the amount of power.

The charging cord must be capable of supplying the correct current as well. Many cheap micro usb cables use 28awg wire which cannot provide enough current, this is known as a sync cable. The cable that comes with your device would be a charge/sync cable they usually have 28/24 awg wires. 28 awg for the sync and 24 awg for charging. There is usually printing that runs along the length of the cable that will tell you what awg (guage) the wires are inside it.

USB 3.0 may or may not charge your device more quickly. There are 3 power specifications for USB 3.0. low power 150 mAh , regular 900 mAh and charging specification which is 1.5A . It will depend on your computer specs on which is supported.

I recently bought an HTC One M8 with quick charge 2.0 and even it did not come with a 2.0 compatible charger, at best it does QC 1.0 and charges extremely fast when I use my 2.0 A charger. I have not yet actually used the one that came in the box since I have soo many cables and chargers around from all my devices.

If you need to find some good charge / sync cables check monoprice.com, they have a selection of the 28/24 cables, I bought mine for about $1.27 each.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread, hopefully I can clear up some things.

The note 3 does support quick charge 2.0 but as of this writing I can't find any chargers that support it. Quick charge 2.0 requires a specific quick charge device that has a chip in it that communicates with the phone to regulate the charge and can charge at up to 1.65A. The phone is also backwards compatible with quick charge 1.0 which does not require any special charger other than it must output 1.5A or graeater. Most tablets come with a charger that outputs 2 A or more and the phone will automatically regulate the amount of power.

The charging cord must be capable of supplying the correct current as well. Many cheap micro usb cables use 28awg wire which cannot provide enough current, this is known as a sync cable. The cable that comes with your device would be a charge/sync cable they usually have 28/24 awg wires. 28 awg for the sync and 24 awg for charging. There is usually printing that runs along the length of the cable that will tell you what awg (guage) the wires are inside it.

USB 3.0 may or may not charge your device more quickly. There are 3 power specifications for USB 3.0. low power 150 mAh , regular 900 mAh and charging specification which is 1.5A . It will depend on your computer specs on which is supported.

I recently bought an HTC One M8 with quick charge 2.0 and even it did not come with a 2.0 compatible charger, at best it does QC 1.0 and charges extremely fast when I use my 2.0 A charger. I have not yet actually used the one that came in the box since I have soo many cables and chargers around from all my devices.

If you need to find some good charge / sync cables check monoprice.com, they have a selection of the 28/24 cables, I bought mine for about $1.27 each.

My HTC one M8 cable is damaged. I live in Europe and monoprice as expensive shipping costs, do you know any other place I can buy a good micro usb cable from?
Thank you

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance