11-24-2014 05:15 PM
29 12
tools
    So I'm planning on picking up a note 3 come release day, and I'm curious how the Quick Charge 2.0 feature works and how USB 3.0 comes into play. Out of the box, will the note 3 be able to utilize the technology with the stock charger? How do you even activate Quick Charge/know it's working? Do you have to buy a third party adapter or something?

Thanks for the help!

Posted via Android Central App
    09-15-2013 02:38 PM
    So I'm planning on picking up a note 3 come release day, and I'm curious how the Quick Charge 2.0 feature works and how USB 3.0 comes into play. Out of the box, will the note 3 be able to utilize the technology with the stock charger? How do you even activate Quick Charge/know it's working? Do you have to buy a third party adapter or something?

Thanks for the help!

There's already a thread on this. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...usb-3-0-a.html
    From a excerpt concerning this feature:
    Aside from the wider, strange-looking plug, USB 3.0 has two main advantages: it will transfer files between your phone and PC up to 10 times faster than a traditional USB 2.0 port, though your computer will have to support the new technology as well (it started rolling out in new Macs and PCs in 2012).

Perhaps even more exciting is, combined with Qualcomm’s Quick Charge 2.0, the Galaxy Note 3′s 3200mAh battery will charge much, much faster. USB 3.0 alone improves charging speeds from 500mA of current to 900mA, which is closer to an AC adapter than a USB port. The Note 3 also sports a 1.5A mode, too, which promises to bring charging time to under two hours.
    09-15-2013 03:42 PM
    Okay so the USB 3.0 alone will charge it faster, but how do you activate the 1.5A mode?

09-15-2013 03:44 PM
    Okay so the USB 3.0 alone will charge it faster, but how do you activate the 1.5A mode?

Nothing special, it should work transparently. You just make sure that your charging source provides 1.5A

How USB charging works, or how to avoid blowing up your smartphone | ExtremeTech
    09-15-2013 07:12 PM
    does the new 3.0 USB come with the new note 3 then?
    09-15-2013 07:17 PM
    It does, yes.

09-15-2013 11:12 PM
    so where can I find a source that does 1.5? like a wall charger? a micro 3.0 wall charger? do they even sell those? or just a wall dongle and plug in the cable the note 3 comes with?
    09-23-2013 02:51 PM
    I have only seen 1A and 2A wall chargers that go with Samsungs USB cables so you will either use the included wall charger or a USB 3.0 cable (included or one you buy, like a spare from Samsung's site).
    09-23-2013 06:36 PM
    So basically, only thing USB 3.0 will do is provide a faster charge when plugged in to a PC and of course, faster transfer speeds.

But as to charging from a wallcharger, there shouldn't be any difference, am I right? My Note 8.0 charger outputs 2A without 3.0.
    09-24-2013 04:53 AM
    Sounds about right, its mostly a PC side upgrade, too bad it doesn't offer some special features that could be tied into accessories.
    09-24-2013 08:23 AM
    so since i dont have a usb 3.0 computer, i can just ignore this feature, correct?

from what y'all have said, if i use a regular charger, there will be no improvement, but if i use the new samsung charger/cable in the box, will it be any faster?

I'm technologically stupid, sorry.
    09-24-2013 09:54 AM
    so since i dont have a usb 3.0 computer, i can just ignore this feature, correct?

from what y'all have said, if i use a regular charger, there will be no improvement, but if i use the new samsung charger/cable in the box, will it be any faster?

So ive been doing research on this quick charge 2.0 Qualcomm built into the 800 series of Snapdragon processors, to use the full potential of 2.0, it needs 1.5A so whatever charger your using, if it outputs 2A you're fine, the source is the one that controls the power drawn, so it will only draw 1.5A from the 2.0A so you'll be safe, and youll charge 75% quicker,
    Qualcomm® Quick Charge | Qualcomm
    from 240 mins to 96 mins, thats 4 and a half hours to an hour and a half....for a full charge!! on the fastest baddest phone in the world!

The charge you get from Samsung will most likely be 1.5a or 2.0a

If you look at the note 2 it came with this charger, model ECB-DU4EWE, and thats rated at 2A so this one should work with it too, im buying one and will test it with note 3 when I get it

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-ETA-U9...cUvbUpU3090328
    icnmayhem likes this.
    09-24-2013 11:01 AM
    I think, if the Note 2 charger was 2.0A, the Note 3 charger will also be 2.0A, or would there be any reason for a lower A?
    09-24-2013 11:08 AM
    yea exactly
    09-24-2013 11:11 AM

USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 so you you just won't see the faster charging thru the computer or faster transfer speeds, otherwise you will be fine.
    09-24-2013 12:39 PM
    So is it faster to charge from a USB 3.0 port, or the power adapter that comes with the phone?
    10-15-2013 07:03 PM
    The phone controls how much power it will pull. So if the phone will pull the full 2 amps of a wall charger that may be faster. It the phone is limited to 1.5amps though it will be the same regardless of weather it is a usb 3.0 on a computer or a wall charger since they would both be the same 1.5 amps.

10-15-2013 07:20 PM
    So what's the advantage of using USB 3.0 as a charger? It just happens to charge your phone faster than USB 2.0 would if you already have it plugged in to move files?
    10-15-2013 09:17 PM
    USB 3.0 mode enables airplane mode, which IMO seems a little odd. Why do you have to disable one feature to enjoy another feature? It reminds me of those Ford commercials.... Sour chicken....
    10-15-2013 10:47 PM
    Basically it will charge faster if you mainly charge attached to a computer. I believe there may be a little improvement from a wire transmission perspective. It wouldn't be significant. Allot of people charge when transferring content.

USB 3.0 may of been added more to deal with transferring 4 video. I really don't think power was a main driver because 2 amp charging has been around a while with micro usb.

10-15-2013 11:05 PM
    Anybody can aNswer my question?i have galaxy note 3...its not charging via usb...when i plug it into my pc the battery % goes down...I try to factory reset....after reset it works fine,but when i try copy videofiles in my phone after copying videofiles the % goes down again...what happening?its like my phone dont like videofiles???? SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH
    10-19-2013 12:49 PM
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of buying a dock for my phone, with a spare battery charger. All of the docks I have seen have the MicroUSB 2.0 socket and lead going INTO the dock, but the full USB 3.0 connector into the phone itself.

My question is, if the connector into the dock is only the MicroUSB 2.0 (single, old) socket, can it draw the necessary current from my Samsung supplied 2A AC wall charger, or will it just charge slowly? Is this just a case of poor design at the moment? The 90 minute charge time is something I would not want to lose, as this is a massive battery. Is it the extra bit on the 3.0 socket that draws the extra current?

Replies gratefully received.
    Jez
    12-21-2013 08:29 AM
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of buying a dock for my phone, with a spare battery charger. All of the docks I have seen have the MicroUSB 2.0 socket and lead going INTO the dock, but the full USB 3.0 connector into the phone itself.

My question is, if the connector into the dock is only the MicroUSB 2.0 (single, old) socket, can it draw the necessary current from my Samsung supplied 2A AC wall charger, or will it just charge slowly? Is this just a case of poor design at the moment? The 90 minute charge time is something I would not want to lose, as this is a massive battery. Is it the extra bit on the 3.0 socket that draws the extra current?

Replies gratefully received.
    Jez
    Yes, it can, all the components are high quality. My note 2 was able to charge at around 2a and that had a microUSB 2.0 port.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    12-21-2013 01:50 PM
    So ive been doing research on this quick charge 2.0 Qualcomm built into the 800 series of Snapdragon processors, to use the full potential of 2.0, it needs 1.5A so whatever charger your using, if it outputs 2A you're fine, the source is the one that controls the power drawn, so it will only draw 1.5A from the 2.0A so you'll be safe, and youll charge 75% quicker,
    Qualcomm® Quick Charge | Qualcomm
    from 240 mins to 96 mins, thats 4 and a half hours to an hour and a half....for a full charge!! on the fastest baddest phone in the world!

The charge you get from Samsung will most likely be 1.5a or 2.0a

If you look at the note 2 it came with this charger, model ECB-DU4EWE, and thats rated at 2A so this one should work with it too, im buying one and will test it with note 3 when I get it

Amazon.com: Samsung ETA-U90JWS ECB-DU4EWE 2A Travel Charger with Cable for Galaxy Note 2 - Non-Retail Packaging - White: Cell Phones & Accessories
    96 minutes is a lie. 2h 10 minutes is my best charge time with stock charger. Which would be 130min
    12-21-2013 03:35 PM
    Thanks for that. I assume I'd need to get hold of the charge only lead (USB pins shortened) to take advantage of this extra amperage?
    12-21-2013 05:59 PM
29 12