Will the note 3 recognize a storage device?

Cheesewiz

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Will I be able to plug a hard drive, or flash drive into the note 3 and have it show up as a device that I can move files to and from? Thanks.

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Stock Android doesn't usually do this, nor to my knowledge the overlay additions from Samsung. You generally have to be rooted for this to work with a few custom exceptions such as the Nexus Media Importer.

Cheesewiz

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok. I had a look around for otg, and found lots of folks who are doing this with phones as old as s2. Definitely the note2. Stock, not rooted. This will make the note 3 like a small desktop for me. Very excited! I travel all the time and run my small business off my phone.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok. I had a look around for otg, and found lots of folks who are doing this with phones as old as s2. Definitely the note2. Stock, not rooted. This will make the note 3 like a small desktop for me. Very excited! I travel all the time and run my small business off my phone.

i use my otg cable often with my note 2....also works fine on my sons gs3

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
What OTG cable did you get and where? I have one but can't tell if its bad or just isn't working with my prior devices for some reason. I may need a new one.

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Some devices are picky about OTG cables. You can buy them cheaply on Amazon for a few bucks each. Pick up a couple of different designs to try out and see what works.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Stock Android doesn't usually do this, nor to my knowledge the overlay additions from Samsung. You generally have to be rooted for this to work with a few custom exceptions such as the Nexus Media Importer.

This turn out to not be the case. All of the following devices will work unrooted with a standard OTG Cable and no special software.

Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note, Note 2, Galaxy Express, Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet;
Motorola RAZR M, RAZR HD, RAZR MAXX HD, Xyboard 8.2" Tablet;
HTC One, HTC First, HTC One X+, Evo 4G LTE (Sprint), DROID DNA

I'm sure other will as well. Its actually fairly common.

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
That's why I said Stock Android. All my devices have been Nexus or Google Experience devices where OTG host function only came with root or ROM.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
That's why I said Stock Android. All my devices have been Nexus or Google Experience devices where OTG host function only came with root or ROM.

Sorry, I misread what you wrote. I thought you were responding to the OP by saying that most Android phones don't support OTG connections. The reality is that except for Stock Android phones, pretty much all of them do. THe Galaxy Note 3 almost certainly will.

On an unrelated note, I think the minor advantages you get with stock Android (quicker updates) are not nearly as valuable as the extra stuff that the manufacturers put in. This is particularly true because of the Google Play model that google employs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital