03-18-2018 09:23 AM
38 12
tools
    10-01-2013 06:01 PM
    I know this is an older post, but for people like me who have stumbled upon it, I wanted to share my experience. I purchased a Note 3 and was rather unimpressed with the write speed to my standard Sandisk 16GB MicroSD card that I had from my other phone. I just purchased a 16GB Extreme Pro thinking that the processing time between taking pictures would be drmatically reduced. It appears that the Note 3 is NOT UHS-1 COMPATIBLE! No noticable difference was made in speed and using the "A1 SD Bench" app, I found that the read speed was 21.48MB/s and the write speed was 18.16MB/s. So, if you are looking at the Extreme series to have a speed advantage, save your money!
    01-20-2014 09:40 PM
    got a samsung in mine
    01-21-2014 09:14 AM
    Thanks for the feedback. Currently shopping around for a microSD for my Note 3. So what brand are you recommending then? Stick to Samsung?
    02-18-2014 10:01 AM
    As an enthusiastic amateur photographer I've always used Sandisk but I remember reading when I first got this phone that Sandisk could cause some problems. So far I've only bought Samsung for the phone and I've had no problems. Make of that what you will.

Sent from my SM-N9005
    02-18-2014 10:20 AM
    That is what I have in my phone a SanDisk class 10, 64 GB. I have no problem with it.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using AC Forums mobile app
    02-18-2014 10:32 AM
    As an enthusiastic amateur photographer I've always used Sandisk but I remember reading when I first got this phone that Sandisk could cause some problems. So far I've only bought Samsung for the phone and I've had no problems. Make of that what you will.

Sent from my SM-N9005
    Same here. Using Samsung 32GB card no problems. Link to the one I got ==>

Samsung 32GB PLUS Micro SDHC with Adapter - up to 48MB/s - UHS-1 Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MPBGCA/AM) by Samsung http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1XI6PS/...cUvbUpU3461304

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mobile Nations mobile app
    02-18-2014 12:05 PM
    I have the SanDisk Extreme 64 GB from Costco . It works great.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    02-19-2014 11:34 AM
    i wanted to know for note 3 N9005 which microsd card suitable.
    is it - Selected: 64GB | Item # SDSDQXL-064GB -
    SanDisk Extreme® microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-I Card

please suggest.
    09-15-2014 11:59 PM
    after reading some comments about note 3 frying sd cards other than samsung, i got samsung 32gb class 10 U1 (it says 48mb/s but tested only got read 32mb/s, write 16mb/s), but after reading some comments again about high temperature/overheating caused by sd card (lately i noticed my note 3 always runs at around 50 C, and while playing games can get really hot in few minutes, i replaced it with 16GB sandisk class 10 (30mb/s), tested got read 34mb/s, write 12mb/s. i though the samsung card had higher spec??

waiting for sandisk result.. but for sure, it needs loading time browsing photos on samsung card, while sandisk doesn't.
    10-07-2014 12:35 AM
    I bought 32GB SD Card Sony SR-32UXA claiming 95MB/s read and 50MB/s write speed. Put it into my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005. Measuring speed with "A1 SD Bench" and got read 20.53MB/s and write 16.40MB/s. So much lower than I expected. I could have saved some money. Also using SD Insight tool it tells me that manufacturer is "Jiang Tay Tech. Co. Ltd." instead of Sony.
    01-20-2016 12:30 PM
    SD Insight tool it tells me that manufacturer is "Jiang Tay Tech. Co. Ltd." instead of Sony.
    That part I wouldn't worry too much about. Sony doesn't actually manufacture the memory media... they just rebrand the cards and sell them. Looking around, Jiang Tay Tech is a known HW vendor for SD media. That may not explain any performance issues though. What are the highest speeds that the Note 3 is capable of? The card may be faster than the phone can do.
    01-20-2016 01:36 PM
    Hello, guys.

Read a lot about SD card and SD card reader hardware specifications. Wrote both to SanDisk and Samsung's support about what are the hardware specifications of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (N9005)'s integrated SD card reader like:
    1. Bus speed class (Default Speed, High Speed, or Ultra High Speed I, II or III)
    2. UHS speed class (1 or 3). Presumably this characteristic is applicable only for UHS bus speed classes.
    3. Application performance class (A1 or A2).
    4. Speed class (1-10)
    5. Video speed class (V6, V10, V30, V60 or V90)

Asked them what are the values of all of the aforementioned SD card / SD card reader hardware specifications that the Note 3's SD card reader can take full advantage of and not only just support them e.g. making use of part of their potential. SanDisk shared that they can't tell the SD card reader characteristics of Note 3 and I should contact Samsung about those bits of information. This is very strange because how SanDisk listed both recommended and supported SD cards for Note 3 without knowing the host device's SD card reader capabilities? Asked local Samsung support about the latter and still awaiting an answer. It is highly important to know that one should contact the local Samsung support from the country the phone was bought at, since as Samsung's international support told me, phone hardware specifications vary accross countries.

So, while waiting for Samsungs official answer about N9005, I would list my findings and questions. Currently, if anyone can tell which are SD card reader and SD card only hardware specifications, it would be highly appreciated. Bus speed is presumably one of SD card reader's main characteristics but not sure about the rest whether they are SD card-only or SD card reader applicable as well. As everyone else I am looking for the cheapest and having highest performance SDXC that Note 3 can fully utilize. The stated maximum capacity is 64GB (SDXC capacity class) but as user tests reveal Note 3 is capable of housing a 128GB SDXC as well. Also, looking at SD cards and card readers hardware specifications listed by SanDisk the characteristic expicitly shown as being applicable not only to memory cards but to the card readers as well is the capacity one - SD, SDHC, SDXC. Again, about the capacity, SanDisk shows as recommended (not only supported, but recommended) a 200GB SDXC card for Note 3. Thus presumably the 64GB limit is only a merchant's trick, so that you could buy Note 4, 5, ..., 8 to be able to install a > 64GB SDXC card.

As seen, presumably Note 3's SD card reader could take full advantage of big enough storage capacities. But what about speed? Note 3 is able to record 2160p30 e.g. 4K @ 30 fps. Looking at the official SD card specifications provided by the SD card association (see also at :
    UHS speed class U1 and speed class 10 for Full HD video recording and playback
    ). But if one goes for the Extreme class like this SanDisk Extreme SDXC then the product description says:
    UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) and Video Speed Class 30 (V30) ratings for 4K UHD video
    I am willing to buy the latter but I am afraid Note 3 would take advantage only of a small fraction of its capabilities.

Best Regards
    03-18-2018 09:23 AM
38 12