03-18-2018 09:23 AM
38 12
tools
    Hey Guys, ive been reading up on MicroSD's and Im not sure if the Note 3 will support UHS-I microsd cards like the Sandisk Extreme 64GB featured here at their site: SanDisk Extreme microSDHC and microSDXC UHS-I Memory Cards

I currently have the 64GB Sandisk Ultra which is the one right below Extreme in my note 2 and just wondering if i will see an improvement in buying the extreme? i mean its rated at much higher speeds but i just dont know if the Note 3 will take advantage of the technology, I can't wait for the Note 3! What do you guys think? Is this a best buy?
    09-21-2013 01:23 PM
    From problems I have seen with sd cards being corrupted in Samsung devices, I would only stick with Samsung sd cards. They are guaranteed to have higher transfer rates than their counterparts, and are guaranteed to work 100% in any Samsung device. I stand by my conspiracy that Samsung has hard coded code into touchwiz that will eventually fry non samsung sdcards, but that is my unproven theory backed only by conjectures. Sandisk should not give you any problems, as they are relatively stable with Samsung devices, even though some cases have been reported of them frying as well.

Now to answer your question, it all depends on personal preference. SDcards work on flash memory, which hasn't really advanced that much since it's creation. If you feel it is worth the investment, and you are sure the device will support it, I say go for it.
    09-21-2013 01:55 PM
    I've had good luck with Sandisk. It's best to format the card in the device you'll be using it in and then things are more stable.
    09-21-2013 03:22 PM
    so I should get the speeds its rated for then?
    09-21-2013 05:18 PM
    that will eventually fry non samsung sdcards" That would be in violation of Fair Trade statutes. Samsung would get in so much trouble that it would not be worth it to them.
    09-21-2013 06:17 PM
    Well if the Note 3 supports UHS-1 then the SanDisk Extreme might be a contender for the best and highest performance micro SD card for it. The Extreme is a lot more durable than the Ultra too. Those Ultras don't seem to be doing too well in Samsung phones and tablets, often just failing after a short lifespan.

from my Sony Xperia Tablet Z or XTZ or "Ecstasy"
    09-21-2013 07:20 PM
    SanDisk sd cards for me. If unsure you can check on the SanDisk website if they've got certified cards available

Posted via Android Central App
    09-22-2013 05:47 PM
    The Samsung is getting great reviews as well. I may just go with them this time instead of worrying about ultra and extreme.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    09-22-2013 08:59 PM
    Sandisk did not work in my s4. N3 may be different but If you insist on sandisk, make sure you can easily return it if it doesn't work. I ended up with Samsung class 10 and haven't had any problems. I will stick with Samsung cards in my N3 because I know it will work.

09-23-2013 08:01 AM
    Spec wise, it looks like the extreme sandisk is the fastest microsd card you can get with 80 read and 50 write, PLUS i saw a review by legitreviews located at

http://www.legitreviews.com/sandisk-...rd-review_2232

where they were showed benchmarks going faster than the rated speeds, specifically 95MB/s read and 61MB/ write speeds they observed in benchmarking, which are insane numbers, so at 64GB it's suposedly the largest the N3 will hold, so until something faster comes along, this will be the best MicroSD card you can get for your Note 3...perfect for the 4K recording too! Right now the price is around 100$, lowest i saw was 97, but Im going to wait to see if a deal comes out, even thought these cards are brand new and just came out..never know maybe a newegg deal, Ill sell my 64GB ultra by sandisk (the one right below the Extreme one) and pony up the difference, any takers?
    09-23-2013 08:45 PM
    I've had really good luck with my 64GB Sandisk Extreme. Its performed well and seems to be immune to the SD card death kick that Samsung devices are so good at.
    09-24-2013 04:41 AM
    Spec wise, it looks like the extreme sandisk is the fastest microsd card you can get with 80 read and 50 write, PLUS i saw a review by legitreviews located at

http://www.legitreviews.com/sandisk-...rd-review_2232

where they were showed benchmarks going faster than the rated speeds, specifically 95MB/s read and 61MB/ write speeds they observed in benchmarking, which are insane numbers, so at 64GB it's suposedly the largest the N3 will hold, so until something faster comes along, this will be the best MicroSD card you can get for your Note 3...perfect for the 4K recording too! Right now the price is around 100$, lowest i saw was 97, but Im going to wait to see if a deal comes out, even thought these cards are brand new and just came out..never know maybe a newegg deal, Ill sell my 64GB ultra by sandisk (the one right below the Extreme one) and pony up the difference, any takers?
    Kingston and PNY make good cards too.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3
    09-24-2013 07:57 AM
    Even though I won't be removing my card probably ever, I still plan on putting plenty of music on it. I'll hopefully be playing that music in my car a lot which will result in tons of instances of reading the card. Wearing on it a bit. SO, I'm trying to play it safe with a Samsung pro 64GB. Hopefully this works out.

Is it possible with the Note 3 to put [non-gaming or gaming] apps on an SD card like this? I don't know much about this feature but heard it from a Samsung rep.
    09-28-2013 02:09 PM
    Yeahp. I've heard that the Note 3 does support moving apps to SD.

from my Sony XTZ
    09-28-2013 03:14 PM
    Yeahp. I've heard that the Note 3 does support moving apps to SD.

from my Sony XTZ
    If and when root Becomes available for the Note3 you can switch locations on where the applications get downloaded to. It shouldn't be too long after release.

09-28-2013 04:01 PM
    Kingston and PNY make good cards too.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3
    Sure, but this particular card smokes them in speed, the extreme sandisk 64gb truly is the best microsd card for the note 3
    09-28-2013 04:07 PM
    So was this confirmed that the Note 3 will be able to handle the top speeds of the Sandisk Extreme? It actually supports UHS-1?
    09-30-2013 08:24 PM
    So was this confirmed that the Note 3 will be able to handle the top speeds of the Sandisk Extreme? It actually supports UHS-1?
    I have not been able to confirm nor deny, can't find it in the manual, I don't know if they let me but I might have to buy and test to see if it does work, what store could I do this on?
    09-30-2013 08:32 PM
    No idea lol. I thought I heard on the Android Central podcast it does not support UHS-1.. so you might not see a difference. We need to get this verified!
    09-30-2013 08:34 PM
    I don't have the extreme but I have used my 64gb ultra on the galaxy s3 and the note 2 and will be moving it over to a note 3. No problems to date (except crashing my file explorer in windows if I try to rename folders, very very odd issue)
    09-30-2013 10:14 PM
    Now to answer your question, it all depends on personal preference. SDcards work on flash memory, which hasn't really advanced that much since it's creation. If you feel it is worth the investment, and you are sure the device will support it, I say go for it.
    The comment about Samsung deliberately frying the cards of competitors has already been addressed. But I would add that it would be easily provable if such a thing was happening, and it would make more sense for Samsung to (pull an Apple) just say some cards are "not compatible" and not recognize them to waste time and energy on frying a card.

As for Flash Memory, Every Smartphone, Tablet, and NetBook built within the past has run off of some form of Flash memory.
    So does the SIM card that your phone may use to store carrier information and some of your contacts.

Flash has advanced from a single chip hold a few kilobytes of memory and only lasting for a few thousand read/write cycles to over a million, to now being able to rival Hard Disk drives in performance, capacity and reliability.

Interestingly enough AceManX, a good source of answers for your question can be found right here.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-note-2-a.html
    This thread seems to be a good discussion on past problems with some Sandisk SD cards, and whether Samsung phones can support UHS-I .
    gollum18 likes this.
    10-01-2013 10:45 AM
    The comment about Samsung deliberately frying the cards of competitors has already been addressed. But I would add that it would be easily provable if such a thing was happening, and it would make more sense for Samsung to (pull an Apple) just say some cards are "not compatible" and not recognize them to waste time and energy on frying a card.

As for Flash Memory, Every Smartphone, Tablet, and NetBook built within the past has run off of some form of Flash memory.
    So does the SIM card that your phone may use to store carrier information and some of your contacts.

Flash has advanced from a single chip hold a few kilobytes of memory and only lasting for a few thousand read/write cycles to over a million, to now being able to rival Hard Disk drives in performance, capacity and reliability.

Interestingly enough AceManX, a good source of answers for your question can be found right here.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-note-2-a.html
    This thread seems to be a good discussion on past problems with some Sandisk SD cards, and whether Samsung phones can support UHS-I .
    Thanks bro, checking it out now
    10-01-2013 12:40 PM
    Even if your phone doesn't support UHS-1, it's probably still worth it for those times you use the card on your computer. You'll appreciate the faster speeds there regardless of whether the phone can write that fast.
    10-01-2013 04:27 PM
    Even if your phone doesn't support UHS-1, it's probably still worth it for those times you use the card on your computer. You'll appreciate the faster speeds there regardless of whether the phone can write that fast.
    Absolutely. Again, its worth noting that the Extreme cards seem to be built to a higher standard and are more durable.
    10-01-2013 05:55 PM
    Do most computers support UHS-1 as well? I currently have a 2012 Macbook Pro, but want to make sure it the SanDisk Extreme 64GB is worth the $100 and at least one of my devices supports it.

If not, I'll at least get the Class 10 64GB card for $50.
    10-01-2013 05:58 PM
38 12