Can someone please explain "rooting"

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
From my understanding, jail breaking allows you to get "free apps" which those of us in the Android world like to call side loading. Rooting isn't necessary to do that.

We all root for different reasons. Some of us do it so we can change the battery frequency to get longer life out of it. Some do it so they can remove bloatware from carriers. Others do it for the previous reasons plus we like to customize out phones with ROMs and such.

LosingMyMind

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
From my understanding, jail breaking allows you to get "free apps" which those of us in the Android world like to call side loading. Rooting isn't necessary to do that.

We all root for different reasons. Some of us do it so we can change the battery frequency to get longer life out of it. Some do it so they can remove bloatware from carriers. Others do it for the previous reasons plus we like to customize out phones with ROMs and such.

Thank you, wasn't sure if it was the same thing or not.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Typically I would agree, however this article is 100% dead on..... I would read the first two paragraphs as it answers exactly what you asked. But to sum it up, jailbreaking is software level manipulation, where as root with android is hardware and software level manipulation. For example, with Jailbreak you can change your icons, install free apps.. with Root you can manipulate the hardware, i.e. overclock, undervolt, etc. Root is a system wide "admin permissions" if you will.

LosingMyMind

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Typically I would agree, however this article is 100% dead on..... I would read the first two paragraphs as it answers exactly what you asked. But to sum it up, jailbreaking is software level manipulation, where as root with android is hardware and software level manipulation. For example, with Jailbreak you can change your icons, install free apps.. with Root you can manipulate the hardware, i.e. overclock, undervolt, etc. Root is a system wide "admin permissions" if you will.

I'm new to android so I've been reading, watching, researching everything I can. I have a better understanding now. Thanks so much.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
We all root for different reasons. Some of us do it so we can change the battery frequency to get longer life out of it.

What does this mean? Did you mean that you undervolt or underclock to get better battery life? What is battery frequency?

Zergslayer69

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
One thing I want to point out is, unlike jailbreaking, once you root, you no longer can receive the updates. You'd have to reflash the stock..what is it called, OS? and then update that way. Otherwise root and jailbreak is similar, it allows additional access to your device but still leaves everything as it was before you rooted it.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
What does this mean? Did you mean that you undervolt or underclock to get better battery life? What is battery frequency?

This is exactly what they mean, by underclocking and undervolting you can gain massive battery life.

One thing I want to point out is, unlike jailbreaking, once you root, you no longer can receive the updates. You'd have to reflash the stock..what is it called, OS? and then update that way. Otherwise root and jailbreak is similar, it allows additional access to your device but still leaves everything as it was before you rooted it.

Kind of .... You can still get OTA Updates it just unroots your device.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Kind of .... You can still get OTA Updates it just unroots your device.

This isn't always true. It depends on the device and how far from stock you go. If just root and remove bloat there is a chance, but it can also depend on how you got root.

My previous experience with Samsung devices is that once you flash a custom recover like ClockworkMod, Samsung Kies won't detect the device correctly. Many times that is needed to root.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos