Visited the GN3 in the ATT store - question re: Google Play

desdesdes

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
A bit of background - As an iEverything family I was taken aback when my husband jumped ship to the S4 Active. He's a rebel and the bigger screen is kinder to mature eyes. Life went on and I updated 6 kid phones and a few iPads to iOS 7. One of my daughters is suffering from the dreaded , I never would have believed it was possible motion sickness from the update. We've tried all the tricks but it hasn't helped. She has a 5c being delivered on Monday that will be getting returned. Her dad's phone doesn't bother her at all and she's always been interested in the Samsung line of larger phones.

I did a little reading last night and popped into the AT&T store to look at the GN3 today. It seems zippy and was actually gentler on my eyes as well. Obviously we have a lot invested in apps, so changing platforms would mean a fresh start. Is it possible to set up one gmail/google play account and use it just for apps on more then one device (much as we do now with the Apple app store)? That is, could my husband, my daughter and myself share a google play account just for apps, while keeping our gmail email accounts - and I assume calendars and contacts on android devices - separate?

Please forgive me if I've used poor terminology. This is a whole new world :)

rgarcia900

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I beleive that is possible. I have a gmail account on my Note II and set that up on my tablet as well. They both share the paid apps without an issue even at yhe same time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-GALAXY NOTE II using AC Forums mobile app

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
The issue is more one of privacy and propriety with your children. By doing so, you give your children access to the email and such of the parent google account. This could include Wallet, Voice (text, voice messages, phone calls), Play and so on. While some permissions can limit some of this, it might make it a hurdle for the father to use his phone as well. I just don't find the risks worth the marginal savings.

Esaifullah

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I never tried it myseIf, but I believe you still can use different gmail/calendar account with a same playstore/wallet account for different people although it might be a bit tricky.
Set up your kids phone with the main gmail/playstore account, and use 3rd party email/calendar apps for each member of your family.
Then disable the gmail / calendar app in your kids phone if you like so they cannot access your / your husband email.

Don't forget to protect the playstore app with password so your kids woudn't be able to make 'accidental' purchases

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You could create a Gmail account and not use it for anything but apps/Playstore. Then add secondary accounts to the phones for everyone's email. You could even use a Yahoo or Hotmail account as the secondary email accounts that each could have (or not).

It actually is not a bad idea really.

from my Sony XTZ

BeRich

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
My husband and I share a gmail account I set up when I got my first Android. We just use it for the PlayStore and nothing else so I don't know what to tell you about the calendar and such. It is nifty for paid apps (only have to pay once to have it on both our phones). And what one person installs, doesn't mean you have to install it, too.

EDIT: We use our hotmail accounts for Calendars and such, but I have two hotmail accounts so I suppose more than one gmail account can be set up on a phone as well.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
In the Play Store settings, you can add multiple accounts. You can each set up your Android phone w/your individual Google accounts and add a "common" account in the Play Store. When downloading paid apps, make sure the right account is selected.

Also, set up this common account to require a PIN for purchases so the kids don't go to town in the Play Store and rack up a nice balance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
In the Play Store settings, you can add multiple accounts. You can each set up your Android phone w/your individual Google accounts and add a "common" account in the Play Store. When downloading paid apps, make sure the right account is selected.

Also, set up this common account to require a PIN for purchases so the kids don't go to town in the Play Store and rack up a nice balance.

+1 This.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
The issue is more one of privacy and propriety with your children. By doing so, you give your children access to the email and such of the parent google account. This could include Wallet, Voice (text, voice messages, phone calls), Play and so on. While some permissions can limit some of this, it might make it a hurdle for the father to use his phone as well. I just don't find the risks worth the marginal savings.

Since they are in att they don't have to worry about wallet

Also can set a password to get paid apps to prevent kids purchasing paid apps.

Posted via Android Central App

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

another +1 emphasis on setting up phones with their own personal accounts first, synced with their emails and contacts.........then add the common account into the play store .... the note 2 is fabulous and the note 3 will be great, i bet they'll love them :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc