07-26-2014 04:25 PM
106 1234 ...
tools
    Woops the problem is back on my Note 3! After running a few hours perfectly fast the IndexService message has come back and slowed things down. Actually it stops things every 30 seconds or so. Not good at all. I might take the PNY 64 gb chip out for a while then put it back in. Reset my phone to factory defaults or reset of some kind. Any ideas on the proper reset recommended? This is my first Droid phone ever.
    Jerry in Orlando
    10-06-2013 11:21 AM
    Ok I "dismounted" the SD chip from settings so I can take the chip out. The speed returned instantly though the chip is still in the phone and the phone does not show the external card cause I dismounted it electrically or software wise. It is a PNY chip. I am going to buy a sandisk chip and not class 10 maybe 8 or 6.
    That's the plan Stan.
    Jerry in Orlando
    10-06-2013 11:46 AM
    Ok I "dismounted" the SD chip from settings so I can take the chip out. The speed returned instantly though the chip is still in the phone and the phone does not show the external card cause I dismounted it electrically or software wise. It is a PNY chip. I am going to buy a sandisk chip and not class 10 maybe 8 or 6.
    That's the plan Stan.
    Jerry in Orlando
    I'm using a SanDisk class 10, and it's running just fine

Tappin From My N3
    10-06-2013 12:15 PM
    Bought SanDisk 32 gb micro disk for my Note3. Loaded up 6 gigs of pictures on the chip from the computer first then put the chip in Note 3. What a beautiful thing, it counted the pics 6119 each and ran smooth and fast. Sandisk 32gb HD video chip not class 10, class not mentioned on package. Just HD video.
    My Note 3 is running fine and I consider this to be my last entry on this thread.
    Thanks for everyone's input.
    Jerry in Orlando
    10-06-2013 05:24 PM
    Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated and quite a relief to know I'm not alone. Hoping some more info on my problem and temporary fix here might help others that are having same problems, or perhaps give some clues to others that appear to be much more 'expert' than I am.... I have a Sandisk Ultra 64GB class 10. There was no problem with the phone when it arrived new and I've had the sd card loaded in the phone with files from day one. The problems seemed to occur a few days later, and as far as I know there hadn't been a significant increase or change in files or file sizes to account for this. The problem has now stopped but I've had to remove the card and reset the phone - far from ideal, I've lost the card and having seen all of your messages I'm not convinced it won't return when the sd card does.

This is what's happened since the problem started - 1.removed the files from sd card and replaced it back in the phone, 2. the freezing & indexservice messages continued 3. I removed the sd card again and factory resetted the phone 4. problem stopped and speed is back. The card is still not in the phone and I still don't know what the cause was - I've been reluctant to put the card back in in case it causes a repeat. I shall put the card back in tonight then see if the problem returns. If it doesn't I'll start to add the files back in a bit at a time. I'll report back soon.
    10-06-2013 06:21 PM
    I have exactly this same situation. I also have the 64GB card so I am thinking that it is related to that. That card is full and 70% of that is probably pdf documents. I am thinking that it is choking while trying to index all of that data. I am quite familiar with indexers and I also suspect that there is a absolutely massive index file somewhere on the unit - most likely in primary memory. I'm interested to know what types of files you have on your card. If empty then it would seem that the indexing service has a problem with 64GB cards.

James
    Hi James - my 64gb card was 50% full - mainly pictures, short videos and some pdfs. Formatted the card now, removed from phone, reset the phone, problem stopped. Now to put the card back in and see what happens. Fingers crossed! Can't face effectively losing my phone again!
    10-06-2013 06:27 PM
    I remember someone mentioning this issue in another pretty recent thread in here. Not sure if it got resolved. The OP mentioned it happening with or without the 64gb card, so I wonder how widespread the issue is?

Anything else you all have in common with your Note 3's? Processor, Card brand, carrier?
    Hi - yes my problems also persisted when the card was removed, that was the strange thing. Hence I had to do a factory reset to rid the problem. A mystery! Here's to hoping problem does not return when the card does
    10-06-2013 06:29 PM
    I got a similar issue but I am using a 32GB UH1 Sandisk in my Note 3 with the same results. Battery life is terrible compared to my wife's N2. I really don't want to have to live without my SD card but I wonder if anyone has brought this up to Samsung to see if we can at least get a software fix since this is plaguing a lot of people. I will probably dismount the SD card tomorrow with a fresh charge and see if that solves anything. If so I might just buy a new SD card or reformat this one since I did take it directly from my previous phone. Come to think of it, that might be the issue. Permissions to specific files from the old phone might be hanging it up.... Guess we will have to wait and find out.
    10-06-2013 09:21 PM
    I'm have faced similar problem. I have 6th card with lots of photos. It was solved with factory reset and catch wipe.
    Now unfortunately my note 3 would freeze on Samsung logo when I turn it on(it died after battery finished)

I had to do factory reset so far 4 times after which it would work. I tried catch clear alone but does not work it has to be factory reset.

I'm not sure if my 64G external card has anything to do with it. It worked just Fine on my S4.

Now I'm afraid from turning the phone off

Any ideas? Appreciate any help

Posted via Android Central App
    10-06-2013 11:30 PM
    Definitely need to try and get a word from Samsung on this.
    10-07-2013 12:21 AM
    Hi
    Here is one solution :"IndexService" issue solved..(Quick battery drain & endless or error index process) - xda-developers

And another suggestion here : [Q] indexservice issue - Page 3 - xda-developers
    The link above says :
    "I too faced the same problem. After 2 days I found out that it was because of one corrupted pdf file.After I removed it everything works fine.

Update: After doing some more research I found that that indexing process is taking more time for pdf files. So if you have more number of pdf files the indexservice will take a long time to complete.
    So, the solution is to either keep less number of pdf files on the device or just wait till the indexservice completes. My Note3 works like a charm after it."

Hope it helps
    10-07-2013 06:01 AM
    Update

I'm now noticing the phone would boot twice when I turn it on. This behaviour ; from previous experience; indicate the phone will probably freeze at the login in the near future which would force me to do my 5th factory reset :-(

Posted via Android Central App
    10-07-2013 06:42 AM
    I never had any issues with photos. You may try to find if any corrupted pdf file is there...
    10-08-2013 02:58 AM
    OMG.....

I am not alone!!!!
    i have buy note 3, since about 2 weeks ago.
    and the "index service" issue come up the first day i transfer my photo from N2 to this new N3 gadget.
    and it keeps popping up, when i go to google play, when i make some calls, or even when i did nothing.
    i did not put any SD card, and purely using my internal memory
    and the file i put are only 2 GB

up until now, i am already go to samsung service center to re install the N3, and it pops back on on the same day.
    today i am going to samsung cervice center ... again.....

after the up coming re-installation,
    i am planning to use the note 3 with no new apps install, and no file transfer for couple of days.
    and see from there
    from the comment above, i do have plenty of PDF file. will try to sort that one up as well.

i will post updates, in here,
    and guys please post any other updates regarding this... hope this "index service" issue will pass away.

one more thing,
    do you guys happen to notice that note 3 is RAM consumtion is abit too high?
    my phone with no new apps, is always runs in 2GB of 2.66GB .....
    when i clear the RAM memory (pressing the home botton few second and on the left corner there is an ram status etc tab) it only decrease the RAM to about 1.74GB???
    meanwhile in N2, it can drain as low as 500MB

suggestion please
    10-10-2013 09:51 PM
    Found this on another site

"does what it's called: indexes all the files on your phone.

You can just kill it in settings > apps > active. Should be near the bottom, one of the com.'s. Can't remember the exact name, but if you tap it, it says indexingservise. Just hit force stop and it shuts up until you reboot."

It works! I just did it but in my haste I forgot to write down the app name - I just remember that it had an android symbol. Anyway its not Rocket Science. Just do as the guy suggested and you will come across IndexService. Just press stop!
    10-11-2013 02:20 AM
    I have the exact same problem. please tell me how exactly to stop the S-finder service.
    10-12-2013 02:38 AM
    Pleeezzz specify , I'm a complete novice at this and still feel very frustrated. When I get this "indexservice has stopped" on my screen, what should I do? Just put my Note 3 aside for 24 hours and nothing else? Will Index Service sort my data in the background eventhough it "has stopped" ??
    10-12-2013 03:42 AM
    Just as another data point: I've had no problem with a SanDisk 64GB Ultra microSDXC UHS-I Class 10 card. I inserted it with about 25GB of music, 8GB of videos, and 1 or 2 GB of photos and documents already on the card. I received no Index Service warnings and saw no sign of any slowness or pauses. (Battery usage was high on the first day, but I don't know if that was due to the Index Service or due to heavy usage while setting up the phone.)
    10-12-2013 08:01 AM
    It does not work. I ve stopped the index service in actice apps and in all app, and index service continues working and stopped, in the background, but when i come to consult him listed as inactive(not really). I have 30 gb pdfs in micro sd class 10, samsung. I think that is the problem, but in my galasy s3 work fine.
    I think until samsung take out a new firmware the problem is not solved. The last new firmware 2 days ago, dont work about this prroblem.
    I,m desperate, because i buy the note 3 to study and consult pdfs, I,m spain medical doctor, and i have all my books in pdfs.
    10-12-2013 11:22 AM
    Quick update to all - as I started this thread. The problem is now back again! I stopped the problem by factory reset and formatting the external sd card. It was fine until I started saving photos to the sd card. Since then, whether the external sd card is dismounted or completely removed, I'm getting the dreaded persistent IndexService message and freezing. Samsung need to release a fix quickly. I've emailed them again today asking for help and I suggest you all do the same so that they are fully aware of the scale of the problem. I also tried tweeting them but didn't hear back. I'll keep you posted.

Once it occurs the only fix is a complete factory reset and wiping of the card. For me anyway.

Quick response to other suggestions I've seen posted and do not work - from what I can tell it's not a specific issue with a model or size of memory card, it seems to occur across a few different types. Stopping the IndexService does not solve the problem.
    10-13-2013 03:29 PM
    You have any PDF files in your internal memory or SD Card? Or DropBox or GDrive is syncing PDF files automatically to device? Looks like index service is not able to handle certain PDF files, so finding that PDF and keeping it out from the device till get a firmware update may be a good try.
    10-14-2013 03:32 AM
    As someone already mentioned here, it seems to have some problem with some specific type of pdf files. I too have many images and other documents on my Note 3, but no problem till now.
    Please check for any problematic pdf files on your device and you could get rid of the problem as suggested in other forums.

Please update if it solved the problem so that others can also know
    10-14-2013 03:53 AM
    You have any PDF files in your internal memory or SD Card? Or DropBox or GDrive is syncing PDF files automatically to device? Looks like index service is not able to handle certain PDF files, so finding that PDF and keeping it out from the device till get a firmware update may be a good try.
    Hi there - the problem is not related specifically to PDF files. People keep mentioning this but this is not the problem, as I've tested this myself. My phone does have PDF files on it and right now there is no problem. However, the problem does come back when I add any new file types to the external sd card. These are NOT necessarily PDF files, it occurs with other types as well. My SD card is currently removed to avoid the problem coming back. Before anyone mentions it, it's also occuring with other memory card types, not just the one I'm using now!
    10-14-2013 04:41 AM
    Hi there - the problem is not related specifically to PDF files. People keep mentioning this but this is not the problem, as I've tested this myself. My phone does have PDF files on it and right now there is no problem. However, the problem does come back when I add any new file types to the external sd card. These are NOT necessarily PDF files, it occurs with other types as well. My SD card is currently removed to avoid the problem coming back. Before anyone mentions it, it's also occuring with other memory card types, not just the one I'm using now!
    I take back my comment... problem now reoccurring, without the sd card installed!!! I'm now investigating files that could be the cause. Painfull! Still no word from Samsung on this!
    10-14-2013 05:54 AM
    I take back my comment... problem now reoccurring, without the sd card installed!!! I'm now investigating files that could be the cause. Painfull! Still no word from Samsung on this!
    Have you tried doing a factory reset and using the phone for a while without installing any third-party apps, or transferring any files? If it exhibits the problem even then, then it's likely defective and you can exchange it. If not, add things gradually to see when the problem recurs.
    Mike strow likes this.
    10-14-2013 06:13 AM
106 1234 ...