Note 3 Problem - 'IndexService has stopped' and screen freezing every 2 minutes

Saul Annett

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a persistent issue and having trawled the forums I'm yet to find a fix. I have a Galaxy note 3 and, with or without 64gb memory card inserted, a 'Unfortunately IndexService has stopped' message keeps appearing and the phone freezes everytime the message comes up(roughly every couple of minutes!). It's draining my battery and rendering the phone almost useless. I'm stuck for what to do and would be very very grateful for any help or suggestions. I've tried removing the memory card to no avail. Help please.

Saul Annett

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Forgot to mention when investigating the battery consumption is very for the IndexService so it's clear it's working over time. Another forum mentioned this was due to corrupt file or sd card. But it seems others have tried removing all apps and it's still present. I've removed the sd card to be sure of that

James Muir

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly this same situation. I also have the 64GB card so I am thinking that it is related to that. That card is full and 70% of that is probably pdf documents. I am thinking that it is choking while trying to index all of that data. I am quite familiar with indexers and I also suspect that there is a absolutely massive index file somewhere on the unit - most likely in primary memory. I'm interested to know what types of files you have on your card. If empty then it would seem that the indexing service has a problem with 64GB cards.

James

Jer7of9

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My Note 3 was running fine and fast. Until I put in a 64 gig external chip and loaded it up with a lot of photos. I'm not saying having the chip slowed it down, I think it was the 6 gigs of family photos. It is now slow on all things and keeps saying "unfortunately indexservice has stopped". So is it indexing all my photos and will my Note 3 speed up after it's done indexing? If it's going to a cloud can I stop the cloud to speed things up?
Jerry in Orlando

xderiwx

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I remember someone mentioning this issue in another pretty recent thread in here. Not sure if it got resolved. The OP mentioned it happening with or without the 64gb card, so I wonder how widespread the issue is?

Anything else you all have in common with your Note 3's? Processor, Card brand, carrier?

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If I recall correctly this is a file, either corrupt or not the service is getting hung up on

Try removing all photos, music, and video files. Then put them back one at a time and wait to see if problem occurs again.

There may also be signs of what file is bad as it may not look right when you are trying to move it.

Posted via Android Central App

Jer7of9

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My Note 3 was running fine and fast. Until I put in a 64 gig external chip and loaded it up with a lot of photos. I'm not saying having the chip slowed it down, I think it was the 6 gigs of family photos. It is now slow on all things and keeps saying "unfortunately indexservice has stopped". So is it indexing all my photos and will my Note 3 speed up after it's done indexing? If it's going to a cloud can I stop the cloud to speed things up?
Jerry in Orlando
I took out the PNY 64 gig chip bought from Best Buy. The battery was hot, never that hot. Turn phone on and everything returned to normal, battery cooled. Then I added the 6 gigs of family photos to the internal 32 gig memory of the Note 3. Pics loaded fine. When done the Note 3 went back to being slow to respond to commands.
My Note 3 was pre-ordered from ATT.
Why would loading pics cause slow down in Note 3. Needless to say I am disappointed that pictures would do this to such a great phone. That's why I bought it, the spec are all very fast. But I need pics on the bad boy! Boo hoo!

Jer7of9

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I took out the PNY 64 gig chip bought from Best Buy. The battery was hot, never that hot. Turn phone on and everything returned to normal, battery cooled. Then I added the 6 gigs of family photos to the internal 32 gig memory of the Note 3. Pics loaded fine. When done the Note 3 went back to being slow to respond to commands.
My Note 3 was pre-ordered from ATT.
Why would loading pics cause slow down in Note 3. Needless to say I am disappointed that pictures would do this to such a great phone. That's why I bought it, the spec are all very fast. But I need pics on the bad boy! Boo hoo!

Thank you for responding Jaafar Essemmar. I will do what you said. In the mean time I erased all my 6 gigs of photos off the chip and my Note 3. And without the photos the Note 3 runs fast again. So I think the hardware is OK.
My photo file did say I had over 6000 files which is way more than I expected so I think the fault is with my photos not the Note 3.
Thanks again for posting answers
Jerry in Orlando

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a 4 gig card that barely has any pics about 33 pics, I only have issues when I try to open gallery...then it freezes and says gallery has stopped working... But it really has not slowed down my phone. I have taken other pics on the phone and no issues when I try to open them. So to me it's definitely the SD card...

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for responding Jaafar Essemmar. I will do what you said. In the mean time I erased all my 6 gigs of photos off the chip and my Note 3. And without the photos the Note 3 runs fast again. So I think the hardware is OK.
My photo file did say I had over 6000 files which is way more than I expected so I think the fault is with my photos not the Note 3.
Thanks again for posting answers
Jerry in Orlando

If you just let it run and finish the indexing it will be fine it just take a little bit of time to churn through all those files. This is similar to any computer that gets a massive load of files, and then needs index them for windows search. They key is just be a little patient and you can have it all on there and it will be quick.

bcarr100

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Just disable air commande under control tab in settings .

Jaafar, this did not work for me. I still have the same problem. Any other suggestions? This is very frustrating, the phone is almost unusable as this message "Unfortunately, IndexService has stopped" is coming up every few seconds. Thanks....

xderiwx

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
If you just let it run and finish the indexing it will be fine it just take a little bit of time to churn through all those files. This is similar to any computer that gets a massive load of files, and then needs index them for windows search. They key is just be a little patient and you can have it all on there and it will be quick.

Are you saying this issue occurs only when there is a huge dump of files all at once that the phone needs to index?

Question for everyone. When did this message/error start popping up for you? Brand new out of the box, after adding a lot of files to your SD card or adding an SD card already with a lot of files?

Jer7of9

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My slow down occurred after loading 6 gigs of pictures on external 64 gig chip. Almost 24 hours later it is still comes up IndexService has stopped. But I can view pictures very well in between the IndexService message. The message comes up in 1 minute intervals. When the chips were empty everything was fast and happy. When the pictures went on chip that's when it slowed down. I am leaving it alone and letting it do it's thing, for 1 day? 2days? When should it be done indexing 6 gigs of photos?
In short the IndexMessage allows me to use my phone in less than one minute intervals, then it speeds up again.
Disappointed but hanging in there.
Jerry in Orlando

Jer7of9

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It's a PNY 64 GB micro sdxc 10 on the package. Has a picture of a droid phone, a camera and a tablet specifying its use. Speed is up to 40MB/s
I don't know what class 10 is, good I hope. That chip cost $100 at Best Buy.
Jerry in Orlando

Jer7of9

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
But my Note 3 is still slow even with that fast class 10 chip. I have used task manager to stop all processes, clear ram memory and then things run fast! I am running a slide show on my note 3 with music hoping that that will help with the IndexService message. It's running fine with all apps off and memory clear. I guess I need an app killer. But I don't have much of my own on yet. Just Netflix, Words with Friends, Fox News. That can't be the problem. Just what the hell is IndexService anyway?