turn off my magazine?

snsethy

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to disable the home button my magazine shortcut? It's really annoying.

Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Is there any way to disable the home button my magazine shortcut? It's really annoying.

Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Actually from what I remember there is no way to disable it (my magazine that is, not sure about the short cut)

retromad

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Open My Magazine and open the settings from within the app. Uncheck the 'Open using the home key' option.

There doesn't seem to be a way to disable it entirely, so it'll still open when swiping up from the bottom of the screen.

Cheers.

Graymore

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I love everything about my Note3, except one thing which I loathe with the intensity of a 1000 suns. WHY has Samsung done this to us?
Whoever decided to permanently install this should maybe punch themselves in the face, and the person that linked it as the only function for the home button...we should form a line (Airplane The Movie, style) and smack them repeatedly till they come to their senses. Nothing brutal, just enough to demonstrate how much they suck. Better yet, they should just wear a sign announcing their role in smearing their feces all over this amazing new device. BOOOOO. Booo I say. Boo. Anyway, thanks for the tip, but my settings button does nothing under my magazine. I'm stuck on terms of use...which I refuse to fill out, lest a officially agree to the ridiculous data caching it performs (I know they're doing it anyway).

Graymore

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Making the one touch home button's only feature be access to an intrusive data caching app that gathers more info on you than a parole officer, is... well I just don't have the words, but annoying seems like an understatement. Even worse, no you cannot disable it. Some built in apps, like AT&T's USELESS paid navigator app can be turned off (though not completely removed) but My Magazine is special. They smeared that feces so deep into your phone, you'll have to jailbreak it to remove...which voids your warranty. I know that's not the answer you were hoping for, I was pretty disappointed myself, but we are lucky to have an otherwise unbelievable device. Just keep complaining, anywhere you think Samsung is listening (they've got more spies than the NSA, so shouldn't be hard) and maybe they'll concede to the masses and either offer a way out, or not hit us again with it next time. If you jailbreak your phone, please let us know how it went...Good luck

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Making the one touch home button's only feature be access to an intrusive data caching app that gathers more info on you than a parole officer, is... well I just don't have the words, but annoying seems like an understatement. Even worse, no you cannot disable it. Some built in apps, like AT&T's USELESS paid navigator app can be turned off (though not completely removed) but My Magazine is special. They smeared that feces so deep into your phone, you'll have to jailbreak it to remove...which voids your warranty. I know that's not the answer you were hoping for, I was pretty disappointed myself, but we are lucky to have an otherwise unbelievable device. Just keep complaining, anywhere you think Samsung is listening (they've got more spies than the NSA, so shouldn't be hard) and maybe they'll concede to the masses and either offer a way out, or not hit us again with it next time. If you jailbreak your phone, please let us know how it went...Good luck

Jailbreaking is iPhone. It's rooting on Android.

I agree it sucks it does this. Although I did root and get rid of it.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dkeven

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Careful on the rooting it can void the warranty and stop over the air updates. It is a fairly painless process if done on a windows pc and if your fairly conversant in android, I for one have a mac and its not doable with that yet. But to the topic my magazine is a useless piece of bloatware. I though leaving Verizon would minimize that but apparently AT&T and now Samsung are stepping down to their level.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Careful on the rooting it can void the warranty and stop over the air updates. It is a fairly painless process if done on a windows pc and if your fairly conversant in android, I for one have a mac and its not doable with that yet. But to the topic my magazine is a useless piece of bloatware. I though leaving Verizon would minimize that but apparently AT&T and now Samsung are stepping down to their level.

rooting seems seamless for me on a mac...although I don't care for it anymore and won't be rooting my note 3

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The way I addressed the issue with My (garbage) Magazine was by changing launchers, to Nova. That took care of it completely.

Swipe up doesn't launch it and Home button neither! And the best part is that it was free - and better than Touch Wiz Home! So the product may still be installed, but it doesn't run! YippeKiyay!!!!!!

jacobjs01

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Yup this is exactly what I did too. And with nova if you want you can bring back my magazine. Until I Can Customize The Content of the app I won't use it

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bsodenkamp

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The customer feedback link is here: https://contactus.samsung.com/custo...MailQuestionProduct.jsp?SITE_ID=1&titleCode=1

We all must fill it out at least once. And ask our friends to fill it out. Maybe code up an app to fill it out repeatedly. You get the idea.

For those of you who do not want to "register to see link," go to the samsung website. At the bottom right of the homepage, there is a section called "How can we help you." Click the "contact us" link at the bottom, then on the contact page click the email link under the "Voice of Customer" section.

Last edited:

bsodenkamp

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Here is my post. Always good to put it in terms of lost business:

I love your phones. The only thing that could make me switch to a different provider for my next purchase is your terrible bloat wear. In particular My Magazine is extremely irritating. I was able to stop it from coming up on a press of the home key, and am strongly considering rooting my phone simply so that I don't have to look at it on an up-swipe. Rooting my phone is not something I would normally do.

I'll be on the lookout for new players in the market who offer a bloat-wear free phone. If a good competitive one shows up, you will loose my business. Please create an android update that will allow me to legitimately remove My Magazine, as that would alleviate my concern.

dadof7

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Agree with all posters about arrrrg "my magazine" being crammed down our throat. Loaded Nova and it worked for a while but I did something and arrrrg my magazine came back so I had to arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg "accept" all the intrusiveness to get it off my home button. Samsung if you're reading this, I have never posted on a forum, but I am motivated since I am enraged everytime I see the stupid arrrrrrrg my magazine icon on my phone and I am also motivated to never buy anything from samsung again! Give us a way to get it off our phone and while you're at it how about letting us remove the other useless bloatware.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
The way I addressed the issue with My (garbage) Magazine was by changing launchers, to Nova. That took care of it completely.

Swipe up doesn't launch it and Home button neither! And the best part is that it was free - and better than Touch Wiz Home! So the product may still be installed, but it doesn't run! YippeKiyay!!!!!!

Nice option and workaround. With Nova, are you able to get notification counts in Messaging, and Email apps on the home screen? I know they have TeslaUnread that might address this if an issue.

I know if I root that I can solve the My Magazine problem (and truly de-bloat, etc.) permanently. But this time around, I'm trying hard to stay stock, at least until the Kit Kat or subsequent updates stop.

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know a way to use the swipe up motion to open a different app? I've frozen the apps and get an "Application not installed" message if I swipe up now. Currently running JellyBeans V5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc