Apps can be moved to the SD care on the Note 3!!

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Apps can now be moved to the SD care on the Note 3!!

Just found out this bit of news from some knowledgeable posters in another thread. I wonder why this great news has been kept under wraps??:)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I had always inferred this was the case as the S4 has this ability. It certainly is a great feature to have, that's for sure!

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Do people still care about this now that they have 26 GB free on their internal storage? I would have loved this on my Note 2,but now I don't think I will need it anymore.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Do people still care about this now that they have 26 GB free on their internal storage? I would have loved this on my Note 2,but now I don't think I will need it anymore.

Oh yeah, we still care. 26GB can get eat'n up faster than you think. Especially with 4K video recording, movies, games, and FLAC music.

from my Sony XTZ via Tapatalk IV

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah, we still care. 26GB can get eat'n up faster than you think. Especially with 4K video recording, movies, games, and FLAC music.

Why don't you just put the 4k video recording, movies and flac music on the SD card and then just put the games on the internal storage?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you just put the 4k video recording, movies and flac music on the SD card and then just put the games on the internal storage?

Sounds reasonable, but having the ability to move apps to SD card is waaaaaaaaayyyy better, and it doesn't hurt! :thumbup::cool:

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Thank you.. I am an older gent, 73, I was here when Bill Gates said "nobody will ever need more the 640K of ram"... :D

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Because a lot of users have a lot of games, whatever, and secondary storarge is NEVER faster that primary storage(RAM), I think that is reason enough right there. When secondary storage becomes just as fast as RAM, then your statement would have credence.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Because a lot of users have a lot of games, whatever, and secondary storarge is NEVER faster that primary storage(RAM), I think that is reason enough right there. When secondary storage becomes just as fast as RAM, then your statement would have credence.

Two things:

1) Primary storage is not RAM. RAM is temporary storage is used for active programs. Its what goes away when (for example) the battery is removed. It is not used for long term storage of apps or data. What we are talking about in this conversation is internal storage vs external storage. Both are flash based, but my understanding is that you are correct that internal storage is faster.

2) You are actually arguing my point. Except on the initial load, there is no value to have things like movies and flac music be on fast storage. It just needs to be on storage fast enough to play it back at normal speed. Any half-way decent SD card is going to be fast enough for that. Programs are the things that you want on the fastest memory, not video. Waiting long time for a program to load is annoying. Waiting an extra fraction of a second for a video to start is not nearly as big a problem.

Look, I'm not arguing that move-to-sd is not a good thing. Over the last year, I have dreamed about move-to-sd for my note 2 almost every day. All I am saying, it that with an extra 15gb of internal storage, for most people, perhaps it isn't nearly as important as it used to be.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
MrMLK, only read the first line, since that was in ERROR, I stopped right there.

Not trying to get into any battle, arguement, or flame. But, in PLAIN LANGUAGE, you are 1000000000% WRONG.

IMO, you should have at least did a search before you replied.

PRIMARY MEMORY IS RAM..Always has been,and always will be.

Please, refer to somebody for correct information before you reply.

Perhaps you should read your own post before correcting mine. You didn't say "primary memory", you said "primary storage". And, while primary memory may be RAM, nothing in this thread had anything to do with RAM until you bought it up. This thread was about internal storage vs external storage.

Now that I have cleared that up, you might want to finally read my post. That might go a long way to clearing up some other things for you.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Primary Storage
Random access memory (RAM) is the main form of primary storage.
The computer processor uses this RAM to hold code, perform computations and manage the operation of the machine because it is the fastest form of storing bytes of information. It is volatile, however, which means when the computer is turned off everything in RAM is deleted. Other types of primary storage include the processor cache and, for nonintegrated graphics cards, the on-board memory that serves the graphics processing unit (GPU).

Answer
In computers, primary storage is the random-access memory (RAM). It is the only storage that the CPU can directly access. Secondary storage is most often the hard disk drive. It does not lose data when the computer is powered down.

I"m really not sure what point you are trying to make. This thread has nothing to do with RAM. It's about internal flash storage vs external flash storage.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps you should read your own post before correcting mine. You didn't say "primary memory", you said "primary storage". And, while primary memory may be RAM, nothing in this thread had anything to do with RAM until you bought it up. This thread was about internal storage vs external storage.

Now that I have cleared that up, you might want to finally read my post. That might go a long way to clearing up some other things for you.

In a respectful way.. Primary Storage is RAM

Answer
In computers, primary storage is the random-access memory (RAM). It is the only storage that the CPU can directly access. Secondary storage is most often the hard disk drive. It does not lose data when the computer is powered down.

Answer

All in a respectful way..

Maybe I shouldn't have used technical terms. I do know that primary storage and RAM are the same.. However, I should have said the INTERNAL SECONDARY MEMORY IS FASTER THEN THE EXTERNAL SECONDARY MEMORY..

:D

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I"m really not sure what point you are trying to make. This thread has nothing to do with RAM. It's about internal flash storage vs external flash storage.

THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT... :D and both of them are SECONDARY MEMORY.. Ok I got it now.. :D

edit: one more bit I found and this is what I was saying all the time..

NOTE: Primary memory may be called "primary storage" as well. However, this term is somewhat more ambiguous since, depending on the context, primary storage may also refer to internal storage devices, such as internal hard drives.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
However, I should have said the INTERNAL SECONDARY MEMORY IS FASTER THEN THE EXTERNAL SECONDARY MEMORY..

Had you read the second part of my original post:

2) You are actually arguing my point. Except on the initial load, there is no value to have things like movies and flac music be on fast storage. It just needs to be on storage fast enough to play it back at normal speed. Any half-way decent SD card is going to be fast enough for that. Programs are the things that you want on the fastest memory, not video. Waiting a long time for a program to load is annoying. Waiting an extra fraction of a second for a video to start is not nearly as big a problem.

Moving apps to the SD card is going to make then load slower and in some cases run slower. Moving movies and music to the sd card is going to have essentially no impact on their playback.

(by the way, by "initial load", I meant initial load to the device. ie copy to the SD card vs copy to internal storage)

Again, I'm not arguing that move-to-sd is not a good thing. All I am saying, it that with an extra 15gb of internal storage, for most people, perhaps it isn't nearly as important as it used to be.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Had you read the second part of my original post:

Moving apps to the SD card is going to make then load slower and in some cases run slower. Moving movies and music to the sd card is going to have essentially no impact on their playback.

(by the way, by "initial load", I meant initial load to the device. ie copy to the SD card vs copy to internal storage)

Again, I'm not arguing that move-to-sd is not a good thing. All I am saying, it that with an extra 15gb of internal storage, for most people, perhaps it isn't nearly as important as it used to be.

Well, it really comes down to the majority of user cannot have enough ram or internal storage. Programs and apps are coming out that do almost everything. The faster and the amount of memory you have will dictate what you can or can't do. That is why most people would go for the 64gb version if it was available.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, it really comes down to the majority of user cannot have enough ram or internal storage. Programs and apps are coming out that do almost everything. The faster and the amount of memory you have will dictate what you can or can't do. That is why most people would go for the 64gb version if it was available.

I agree with all of this completely. I would go for the 64GB if it was available. If I could get a 128GB micro sd card, I would happily pay the insane amount they are going to ask for the first version.

But my guess is that I (and most people) would just use all that extra storage to carry around a huge library of Video and/or Audio.

All I was saying is that I'm guessing that most people will be ok with 32GB of internal storage for apps.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with all of this completely. I would go for the 64GB if it was available. If I could get a 128GB micro sd card, I would happily pay the insane amount they are going to ask for the first version.

But my guess is that I (and most people) would just use all that extra storage to carry around a huge library of Video and/or Audio.

All I was saying is that I'm guessing that most people will be ok with 32GB of internal storage for apps.

I agree on that. :thumbup::cool:

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance