Going from U.S. to Canada: What must be turned off to avoid extra charges?

NJRonbo

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Going to Canada for a few days.

1. Totally don't want any data (internet) outside of WiFi Connection. How do I set that up?

2. Will accept a few phone calls only when phone is turned on. I take it if phone is turned off, no charge even if a call comes in and goes to voicemail?

3. If I do decide to block phone calls but want to keep device on, where do I turn off that ability?

Anything else I should know? Thanks so much.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
my thoughts - not direct answers to your numbered questions -

1. call your carrier ASAP and explain your situation. maybe they can give you a temporary roaming package.
2. if you have a SIM Card consider buying a local prepaid SIM card with local voice/data minutes.
3. use Airplane Mode and Turn Off Mobile Data.

NJRonbo

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Gekko,

Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I don't think AT&T is in the business of offering temporary roaming packages. I looked at their rates and they start at $30 for a month each for data or voice. In fact, $30 is the minimum for each service whether you just use it for an extended weekend or not.

Answer #3 is a great answer. Can I use WiFi with Airplane Mode off? I want to be able to use WiFi but no cellular data or calls.

If anyone else has answers to the other questions, would appreciate additional responses.

james27007

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You can turn on airplane mode and then enable WiFi, but if you accidentally turn it off, you will get charged, so...

I travel to Canada and here is what I do, I have AT&T, so your settings may be slightly different

Disable data:
A. Open settings...
B. under connections tab click Data Useage
C. Uncheck Mobile Data
D. Press back and open More Networks
E. Click Mobile Networks
F. Make sure Mobile Data and (most important) Data Roaming is unchecked. They should be from step C

Get a Google voice number and setup tort phone to send your voicemails to Google voice. The benefit is Google voice works over wifi, so when someone calls you and leaves a voicemail, you can check them when you have wifi. Just make sure it does not text you when you have a message.
Ok now that you have Google voice, right before you leave, open the phone app, press menu and select call settings (or something like that) and forward all calls to your Google voice number. That way everyone that calls can still leave you a message and you will still get it when you get to WiFi.
C. Scroll down to Blocking Mode
D. Turn on blocking mode for calls and such
E. Click blocking mode always

Blocking Mode is not really needed with call forwarding but a good backup.

Posted via Android Central App

NJRonbo

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
James,

Incredible.

This should be printed by anyone going across the border.

Thank you for taking the time to put this all together. I am printing this out so I can follow the directions verbatim when I am ready to leave.

...and I have a Google Voice number so that helps considerably.

Best

Ron

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Going to Canada for a few days.

1. Totally don't want any data (internet) outside of WiFi Connection. How do I set that up?

2. Will accept a few phone calls only when phone is turned on. I take it if phone is turned off, no charge even if a call comes in and goes to voicemail?

3. If I do decide to block phone calls but want to keep device on, where do I turn off that ability?

Anything else I should know? Thanks so much.

So long as you don't answer the phone, you won't be charged minutes.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma