Group Messaging with Note 3

chongo49

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Other than a brief stint with a Note 2 and a Lumia 920 I have been using Iphones since they have been produced. I want a bigger screen and Apple has once again failed to provide, maybe they will next year but I am tired of maybe so I am once again looking at other options.

Last year I tried the Note 2 but there was no Group messaging capability which would mirror that of the Iphone's. I am not talking about iMessage, I want to be able to send a message (SMS or MMS) to multiple recipients and receive their responses to the same text thread, I do not want to send a message to 5 people and have to go through 5 different text threads. SMSPro and a few 3rd party apps claim to do this and they do...sometimes but it is not smooth and took much longer than I had been used to on my iPhone.

The lack of Group messaging was a deal breaker for me. Between my family, guys I hunt with and employees it would not be making my life any easier to move away from a device with Group messaging.

Does the Note 3 stock app offer Group Messaging capabilities?

Thanks,

hawkeye680

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I just Go SMS for my group texting. It has it's quirks but it works for the most part. It also allows me to access my groups in my contact list.

Botti

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Could you please explain me, how does one know from a received SMS which group it belongs to? I think it would require some kind identification in the message itself, but you cannot guarantee such IDs from system to system. The best thing is to start using ChatON and forget such legacy messages.

atrain311qes109

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry if I'm not getting this, but I use the stock app and I group text all of the time. I have five neighbors in my hood and we are always sending pics, jokes whatever to each other all via one message and all of our replies are seen in one thread. Is this not what you are looking for?

Posted via Android Central App

PremeOne

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Both the stock message app and Sliding Messaging are each able to send group messages like iOS does. One message is sent to everyone you've included in the group, all responses are kept in the same message window (as long as the receiver also has the same capabilities).

Gadgetlover0408

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Could you please explain me, how does one know from a received SMS which group it belongs to? I think it would require some kind identification in the message itself, but you cannot guarantee such IDs from system to system. The best thing is to start using ChatON and forget such legacy messages.

How do you do that?

I'm sorry if I'm not getting this, but I use the stock app and I group text all of the time. I have five neighbors in my hood and we are always sending pics, jokes whatever to each other all via one message and all of our replies are seen in one thread. Is this not what you are looking for?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk 4

Botti

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

Yes, but doesn't work like that. I just tried to send message for two persons, both replied and both went to separate threads based on phone numbers. I don't know about multimedia text messages, maybe they work better?

Edit: no, not even mms. Still getting separate groups.

JB802

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but doesn't work like that. I just tried to send message for two persons, both replied and both went to separate threads based on phone numbers. I don't know about multimedia text messages, maybe they work better?

Edit: no, not even mms. Still getting separate groups.

I know in handcent there was an option to split group texts up or keep them together, IMO handcent was the most ios like messenger, at least on gingerbread... Shorter, check the menu, there might be an option

chongo49

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Both the stock message app and Sliding Messaging are each able to send group messages like iOS does. One message is sent to everyone you've included in the group, all responses are kept in the same message window (as long as the receiver also has the same capabilities).

That is exactly what I want to do but the Note 2 was not able, I am assuming this is a recent update (post Note 2 release)?

This is a screen shot of what I want to be able to do. Myself and two others on the text, the message is threaded with each person's responses. The Note 2 stock messaging app could not do this nor could any 3rd party app, at least not as smooth or efficiently.
photo.PNG

Last edited:

Botti

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I know in handcent there was an option to split group texts up or keep them together, IMO handcent was the most ios like messenger, at least on gingerbread... Shorter, check the menu, there might be an option

Nah, the stock program cannot do that (or at least not this N9005 version) and that is enough for me. I'm using the ChatON now.

sddabrow

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Mine does the same thing as the iPhone does.. I'm on an AT&T Note 3. Just checked the 'Group Messaging' icon in the standard Samsung Messaging app.

chongo49

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Mine does the same thing as the iPhone does.. I'm on an AT&T Note 3. Just checked the 'Group Messaging' icon in the standard Samsung Messaging app.
to be clear, aside from the graphics difference the group messages appear/work similar to the picture I posted above?

sddabrow

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
This is what my group texting looks like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1381181929073.jpg
    1381181929073.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 67

adam13141

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Other than a brief stint with a Note 2 and a Lumia 920 I have been using Iphones since they have been produced. I want a bigger screen and Apple has once again failed to provide, maybe they will next year but I am tired of maybe so I am once again looking at other options.

Last year I tried the Note 2 but there was no Group messaging capability which would mirror that of the Iphone's. I am not talking about iMessage, I want to be able to send a message (SMS or MMS) to multiple recipients and receive their responses to the same text thread, I do not want to send a message to 5 people and have to go through 5 different text threads. SMSPro and a few 3rd party apps claim to do this and they do...sometimes but it is not smooth and took much longer than I had been used to on my iPhone.

The lack of Group messaging was a deal breaker for me. Between my family, guys I hunt with and employees it would not be making my life any easier to move away from a device with Group messaging.

Does the Note 3 stock app offer Group Messaging capabilities?

Thanks,

I believe the stock texting app for the Note 3 should be able to do group texting the same way your iPhone does. I went from a iPhone to S4 and the stock texting app did it perfectly. I also had the Note 2 and your right you had to use a third party texting app and it wasn't as good. I don't have as Note 3 but the S4 did a great job with group texting so I have to think the Note 3 will as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

atrain311qes109

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Again, I use the stock app...on Verizon and can have myself and four friends replying to the same thread and we can all see everyone's responses.

PremeOne

May 3, 2010
Visit site
That is exactly what I want to do but the Note 2 was not able, I am assuming this is a recent update (post Note 2 release)?

This is a screen shot of what I want to be able to do. Myself and two others on the text, the message is threaded with each person's responses. The Note 2 stock messaging app could not do this nor could any 3rd party app, at least not as smooth or efficiently.

I can't speak to the Note 2 because I've never owned it, but yes, the stock Note 3 app has it with no issues. Before getting the Note 3, I was using sliding messaging (for the past 4-5 months now) and it's always been a feature of the app. Sliding messaging previously had issues, at least on the Nexus 4, but everything is working fine with the app now as of the past couple of months now.

atrain311qes109

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 84995

I should have specified that I'm still using my note 2 doing these group texts as I'm waiting on my 3 from Verizon.

glock115

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Verizon group messaging always works well. It seems like att n tmobile have quirks when it comes to group messages. For example, I text with a group of friends and there's one person in the group whose group text I receive as if it's being sent to me directly, not in the group message. I know that he has Verizon and a note 2.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk now Free

CrossePoint

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
i have been trying all day to activate group messaging. I saw your screen shot of the group text.

Whenever i send a group text to my friends , and get a response back its always sent to me individual instead of a group chat. The settings i have for the stock messaging app is " group messaging Checked, automative retrive checked "

Am i missing something and could you hepl me out? i also have the note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang