Somewhat surprised that the hype machine is already dying down

Weaser999

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Compared to the release of the S4, or even the Note 2 or more recently the iPhone 5S/5C, I'm really surprised at the lack of excitement around the Note 3. I don't know if its because of the lack of anything truly revolutionary in this device (just improvements on predecessor mainly), or because it didn't have a banner first few days' sales or what.

Anyone else feel this way?

Samsung hasn't even really advertised this on tv much. I think it's more of a niche product as opposed to mainstream.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I remember one of the Notes advertised by an NBA player or something. He was using it at home and with his kids watching content on the large screen. That was basically the whole selling point in the commercials was just how big the screen was.

Misparkle8shine

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I remember one of the Notes advertised by an NBA player or something. He was using it at home and with his kids watching content on the large screen. That was basically the whole selling point in the commercials was just how big the screen was.

You know who Lebron James is -____- and in the real world...at least at my college campus,Instagram/Twitter feed..hype only comes with apple products. The Note 3 generates news everyday on the internet but when it comes to actual chit-chatter that's all Iphone/Apple. I don't even remember people talking much about the S4. More so the HTC One calling it the better Iphone.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I would also suspect that because the Note 3 doesn't look too much different from the Note 2 to the common consumer that they don't even realize that it is new and hoe much of a better device it is. Plus, I think that a lot of smartphone manufacturers are going to hit the wall soon because I believe that smartphones have already gone beyond what the average user needs on a daily basis. How do you convince someone to upgrade to a newer, better device if the iPhone 4 they have or a galaxy S III meets all of their needs and then some? I bought my father an S III last year and he still doesn't know of all of the features or how to use them and incorporate them in his daily life. There would be no need for him to upgrade to the S4 or the S5.

sent from the baddest device on the planet, my brand new Galaxy Note 3.

I agree. For a regular consumer, i.e. not a phone gadget fanatic, there's no reason to upgrade from N2, or S3, or S4. It would make no sense. And this, I hope, will result in the serious price drop for N3 before this year ends.

Botti

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
For those people the pen seem to be the key. I have let couple of those try writing with my N3 and it always causes a wow comment. And today such a simple thing as google translator with voice recognition and text to speech did the thing. I don't think any of those still buy this, because too expensive and not needed.

Sent using Note3

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
You know who Lebron James is -____- and in the real world...at least at my college campus,Instagram/Twitter feed..hype only comes with apple products. The Note 3 generates news everyday on the internet but when it comes to actual chit-chatter that's all Iphone/Apple. I don't even remember people talking much about the S4. More so the HTC One calling it the better Iphone.

Maybe it was james. Dont really remember, just knew it was an athlete. I remember quite the hype around all of my non-techy friends talking about the S4 when they aired the commercials about the iPhone people in line and not having any of the features the guys with the S4 had. I agree though that there is a lot more talk about icrap than any android stuff though.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
In most markets, it's the only phablet available. It's got no competition , so no need to continuously plug it.

That's the way I see it. I bet we start seeing more Note III adverts etc. once the HTC ONE MAX launches later this month.

Also, the phablet is still second fiddle to the phone really.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

Grifter9931

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Compared to the release of the S4, or even the Note 2 or more recently the iPhone 5S/5C, I'm really surprised at the lack of excitement around the Note 3. I don't know if its because of the lack of anything truly revolutionary in this device (just improvements on predecessor mainly), or because it didn't have a banner first few days' sales or what.

Anyone else feel this way?

Negative,

A couple of things to to take into consideration.
The product was actually available to everyone, the launch days were different per carrier and most pre-orders were delivered. For the most part the amount of new features that are available in the new edition are what people are getting used to with the functionality of the S-Pen and S-view etc..

Unlike "Gold" in which there was a shortage per the manufacturer. Pink "users" are just as willing to wait until the color comes out. And not as much whining about the lack of colors is trumpeted about as the end of the world.
People aren't purchasing the device to resell on the gray market. Because of region lock etc.

And lastly the device is marketed to primarily one type of user which is a "power user". And that market within itself is a niche market, although not as big as the 12-24 year old demographic. Though that niche certainly has buying power, it is nowhere close to Iphone targeted market.

The Iphone has a huge following and their ecosystem is top notch. If you are already immersed into their eco system, its rather hard to leave. Most things work really well, and syncing data is a rather smooth experience even for the non tech savvy users.
When the Iphone 6 comes out next summer with it's 4.8-5.0 screen. The market reaction will go crazy once again, and fanboys and girls will then realize what they have been missing with a more real estate on a mobile device.
And we will whine and complain about what is better and who's late to the party etc...

Hakuna Matata... Its all circle of life on a microcosmic level.

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The niche is the whole answer here. Honestly, that is what this phone is, and why the note 2 only got one commercial. Samsung knows what it is doing, it really isn't a secret of any kind. Sure there is advertising, there will always be of some sort, but as far as having hype, you have to be closer to the competition to do so. I do forsee there being hype, once the one max comes out. But you aren't going to sell a 5.7 inch "phablet" to a market who thinks 4" screens are perfect. Yes, a few may make the switch, but as a whole, the s4 is way closer in terms of comfort level. Why spend countless hours and money to market a phone many consider too big. I love the note 3, it is a beast, but I realize it isn't for everyone. The s4 is the real flagship phone, it is what deals directly with competition here, it kind if deserves the hype. Also I like being part of this exclusive group haha

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, it could be that a lot of people haven't noticed it, or realized it.

My case for example. I was on the S4, I purchased one June, my wife also. However, after reading, I didn't like that 16gb on internal memory. I returned and went on a drought to wait for Tmobile to come with the 32gb version. I waited a couple months, but I am only looking at the S4, not looking at anything else, and sure not the note. Just happened to read something a couple days ago about the Note 3, and wham! I changed up right there. However, not like the S4 which I had been following, the Note 3 just popped out of the blue, packed with 32gb right from the start. IMO, that is why the Note 3 is not blam blam like the S4 was.. Point is, glad I waited :D
Exactly.......all the complainers of the 16gigs are gone...since the Note 3 comes with 32..............

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Seriously? No wonder you don't hear things. For example, this very Android Central has mentioned both of those things. When the news start spreading, you should be able to read it again and again from different sources. Some of them also repeat the message everywhere they can. Just like this Android Central does.

Here's what's going on with the Galaxy Note 3's region-locking | Android Central
This week's sidebar poll: Do you run benchmarks on your phone? | Android Central

Sent using Note3
Androidcentral is not the only one .... here is one: http://androidadvices.com/info/samsung/galaxy-note-3/...............here is another site:.http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/1/4787994/samsung-galaxy-note-3-review......another one:...Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - xda-developers

Weaser999

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I think if Samsung were to put a Note 3 beside an Iphone 5S in a commercial and compare features, it might win some of the mainstream over. Including business users.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think if Samsung were to put a Note 3 beside an Iphone 5S in a commercial and compare features, it might win some of the mainstream over. Including business users.

That would be an interesting commercial.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Definitely. MSFT is doing commercials like that against the ipad. They are quite humorous with siri talking to the surface and losing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney