I don't have wifi at home and rarely ever turn it on at all yet the battery monitor says that it is always on. Anyone else getting this? I am also not getting anywhere near the battery life that everyone else seems to be getting. Could this be the reason? Should I exchange it for a new one?
    10-09-2013 08:22 AM
    I don't have wifi at home and rarely ever turn it on at all yet the battery monitor says that it is always on. Anyone else getting this? I am also not getting anywhere near the battery life that everyone else seems to be getting. Could this be the reason? Should I exchange it for a new one?
    Do you have the Sprint variant?
    10-09-2013 08:40 AM

Go to WiFI and advanced settings. There should be a checkbox that says "Always allow scanning". Make sure that is disabled.
    10-09-2013 08:46 AM
    Yes it's Sprint. And I just turned that off. Well see if it does anything.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-09-2013 02:16 PM
    Yes it's Sprint. And I just turned that off. Well see if it does anything.

I know older phones for Sprint had a connection optimizer as well in the mobile networks area. Make sure that isn't on either (if it's there on the Note 3).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    10-09-2013 02:20 PM
    Go to WiFI and advanced settings. There should be a checkbox that says "Always allow scanning". Make sure that is disabled.
    Good advice. I was not having any issues but this is something I want disabled. Thanks

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!
    10-09-2013 03:13 PM
    I already had that disabled. My current usage is 11 hours for today and I'm at 36%. Not bad right? Well it would be if 9+ of those weren't on airplane mode (I spend most of the day in school where the walls are so thick I Dont get service). I think I'm going to return it and try another note 3

10-09-2013 04:17 PM
    OK so usage stats after a day with no charge. What I would consider a normal day for myself.

I took it off charge at 6:30 this morning. I checked twitter, IG, and these forums for about half of an hour. Then it sat idle as I got ready for school. When I got to school at 7:50 I turned it on airplane mode. It sat idle for most of the day on airplane mode all day except about an hour and a half. Of which, 45 minutes was for dragon fly. 15 was dead trigger and 30 was reading a .doc that my professor sent me to edit. When I got out of school at 3:15 I turned off airplane mode and went to the gym for about an hour. During this time I streamed Google music through my Bluetooth headphones. When I got out of the gym I turned Bluetooth off and checked the forums and that's when I saw to turn off the WiFi always on thing. Then I went home and streamed last weeks podcast (over Bluetooth) and then about another hour of Google music while I mowed. I just finished mowing. And I'm at 21%. When I turned the WiFi thing off (almost 3 hours ago I was at 40%. This really seems to help. I will give it another day and see if it can do any better. I could definitely see why this constantly scanning thing could drain battery really fast though. Can you guys tell me if this is similar to your usage or am I a heavy user? I'll post screen shots it a minute.

10-09-2013 06:40 PM
    Leaving WiFi on does will not make any noticeable difference in the battery usage with modern Android phones, it may seem like it does, but that is not true. When you actually look at the juice that the wifi uses when not connected, you actually use more battery turning the screen on to check, then wifi would use in a 12 hr period.

There is an amazing post here: http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...r-battery.html it gives you the tools to really know what makes a difference or not. I followed this since my Note 1 and have never had battery issues since
    KingGinger55 likes this.
    10-09-2013 06:47 PM
    Here are the screen shots. Remember about 8 hours on airplane mode.
    Attached Thumbnails Wifi always on draining battery?-screenshot_2013-10-09-20-11-34.jpg   Wifi always on draining battery?-screenshot_2013-10-09-20-11-39.jpg   Wifi always on draining battery?-screenshot_2013-10-09-20-12-07.jpg  
    10-09-2013 07:18 PM
    13 hours so far with a ton of screen time, not bad at all, even with it in airplane mode; and to top it off you have 3hr and 40mins of screen time. Most batteries would have died around 4-5 hours with that much screen time.

One thing to check, make sure your screen time out is at 15/30 seconds. I think the default is 1 minute. That will def help out as well
    10-09-2013 09:05 PM
    13 hours so far with a ton of screen time, not bad at all, even with it in airplane mode; and to top it off you have 3hr and 40mins of screen time. Most batteries would have died around 4-5 hours with that much screen time.

One thing to check, make sure your screen time out is at 15/30 seconds. I think the default is 1 minute. That will def help out as well
    That's the thing. Despite the article I couldn't get this before turning off the always scan thing.

10-09-2013 09:37 PM
    data drains battery more than wifi.
    10-09-2013 09:39 PM
    Something I forgot to mention, I usually leave my phone on auto brightness cause that saved the most battery for me with others. However this auto brightness seems to keep it way brighter. 20% is a comforatable viewing level when inside.

10-10-2013 05:07 AM
    Something I forgot to mention, I usually leave my phone on auto brightness cause that saved the most battery for me with others. However this auto brightness seems to keep it way brighter. 20% is a comforatable viewing level when inside.

Yeah auto uses more. This is due to the extra sensor having to keep checking the lighting.

10-10-2013 06:14 AM
    Ok so today I got roughly 4 and a half on screen with nearly 16 since the last charge and I'm at 30%. This is the kinda legendary "notes like" battery I've heard about. Thanks everyone who helped.

It seemed main things to avoid were auto brightness and the always searching WiFi thing.

10-10-2013 08:59 PM
    Leaving WiFi on does will not make any noticeable difference in the battery usage with modern Android phones, it may seem like it does, but that is not true. When you actually look at the juice that the wifi uses when not connected, you actually use more battery turning the screen on to check, then wifi would use in a 12 hr period.

There is an amazing post here: http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...r-battery.html it gives you the tools to really know what makes a difference or not. I followed this since my Note 1 and have never had battery issues since
    With my Note 3 (T-Mobile version) the phone will not enter deep sleep while Wi-Fi is on. This means that leaving Wi-Fi on even with 0 screen time I will get at most 14 hours battery life. With Wi-Fi off so far I'm at 82% battery life left with 15 hours off charger and an hour screen time. This is most likely a bug but I'm just putting it out there because you can't say that Wi-Fi isn't killing the battery for a lot of new Note 3 users.
    10-10-2013 11:03 PM
    With my Note 3 (T-Mobile version) the phone will not enter deep sleep while Wi-Fi is on. This means that leaving Wi-Fi on even with 0 screen time I will get at most 14 hours battery life. With Wi-Fi off so far I'm at 82% battery life left with 15 hours off charger and an hour screen time. This is most likely a bug but I'm just putting it out there because you can't say that Wi-Fi isn't killing the battery for a lot of new Note 3 users.
    Do you have auto connection and scanning off? If the auto connection thing is on it could be constantly measuring the connection and that's why it is awake. Disable those and you should be okay. (see below.. Ignore the volume changing lol) .

Attached Thumbnails Wifi always on draining battery?-1381492370734.jpg  
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    10-11-2013 06:54 AM
    I had the same problem with my moto e2. I just restarted the phone while wifi was off and it solved the problem.
    12-25-2015 11:13 AM