Galaxy Note 3 - Problem with Email. Help!

BeRich

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had this problem from day one and now it's really starting to bug me. I have to manually refresh my inboxes (two Hotmail accounts, one Gmail account) to get new emails to show which also means no notifications like I should be getting when one comes in. I never had this problem with my Note 2 so I don't know what settings need to be enabled to get emails on my phone automatically. Help me out here?

FanOfAnything

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I've had this problem from day one and now it's really starting to bug me. I have to manually refresh my inboxes (two Hotmail accounts, one Gmail account) to get new emails to show which also means no notifications like I should be getting when one comes in. I never had this problem with my Note 2 so I don't know what settings need to be enabled to get emails on my phone automatically. Help me out here?

Here's what I know what you can do so far goto settings 》device 》account》 Hotmail 》click your email 》sync settings 》sync schedule 》setting sync schedule 》 every 5 minutes. I think that'll do for the time being

Posted via Android Central App

browetally

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

Any luck with this? This started being a problem for me today when I setup my 2nd email account!

sh00ter1776

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Having the same issue. I have multiple accounts set up and the push is set to automatic. Still does not update unless I manually refresh

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I had a random issue with yahoo email. Sometimes it would log out and when I try to login again it will say something like authentication failed. But then an hour later it will work again.

Sent from the baddest device on the planet, my Galaxy Note 3.

MaTtKs1

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Having the same issue. I have multiple accounts set up and the push is set to automatic. Still does not update unless I manually refresh

Happened to me today with an Exchange account. Deleting the account and setting it back up resolved the issue.

BeRich

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Any luck with this? This started being a problem for me today when I setup my 2nd email account!

Well I thought what FanOfAnything said would do the trick, and it didn't work. I'll try what MaTtKs1 said and see if that helps.

Edit: I deleted the accounts and set them up again, didn't fix the issue.

Last edited:

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well I thought what FanOfAnything said would do the trick, and it didn't work. I'll try what MaTtKs1 said and see if that helps.

Edit: I deleted the accounts and set them up again, didn't fix the issue.
Berich, if all else fails, set the settings the way you think should work. Turn the phone off and back on. I've been crazy with a few things that I just couldn't get to work. I'd turn the phone off at night. The next morning, voila, it was working like it should have. So now it's my standard solution and 9 times out of 10 it seems to fix it. It's almost like the Note doesn't recognize some of the new settings until it does a power on.

BeRich

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Berich, if all else fails, set the settings the way you think should work. Turn the phone off and back on. I've been crazy with a few things that I just couldn't get to work. I'd turn the phone off at night. The next morning, voila, it was working like it should have. So now it's my standard solution and 9 times out of 10 it seems to fix it. It's almost like the Note doesn't recognize some of the new settings until it does a power on.

I just did a battery pull with no success. Since I have no need for an alarm tomorrow, what I'll do is turn my phone off and leave it off tonight with the settings how they are right now (everything to push). Hopefully a morning restart will fix this. It's gone from an inconvenience to downright annoying.

EDIT: Left my phone off all night. No luck. I still have to manually refresh to get new emails.

Last edited:

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Check the following path and set to whatever increment works best for you.

Open mail> settings > Account settings > select account > "more settings" at the bottom of page > Folder sync settings > choose a folder > sync schedule > choose interval

I hope this works for you, it did for me.

Edit: I went back and added another Hotmail account to check a few things. Did you select "All" in Account Options at the "Periods to sync Email" option? It defaults to "Automatic". I dont really trust Automatic to do what I want it to do.

Last edited:

verendus

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue, and I think this is a major bug. Here's what I've found out so far. If I delete the account, and set it up fresh, then reboot, push will work for about an hour. Then, it goes back to this buggy behavior. Nothing syncs until I manually refresh. It won't even pull at intervals I set, so the only way is to check email is to manually press sync button. I've reset, did factory restore, etc, but always ends up with the same result. This is 2013, and can't believe the flagship device of android can't push email. And this is one area in which I miss my iPhone. Hope someone can figure this out, or Samsung will post a fix soon.

iPhone 5_to_GS4

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Do you all have the power saving on?
I was suspecting power saving increases sync interval. Also, make sure sync is on.

sjli.png

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried the Outlook.com app for your Hotmail accounts? I installed it this morning and it seems to work just fine.

BeRich

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you all have the power saving on?
I was suspecting power saving increases sync interval. Also, make sure sync is on.

http://imageshack.us/a/img811/8202/sjli.png

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

I do have the power saving on. I turned it off. Going to test it out.

EDIT: No luck. Even did a battery pull. I don't understand what the issue is. My Note 2 NEVER had this problem. All the settings for each account are set to push. This is ridiculous.

djc123

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I was having the same problem until I tried this:

Settings/Account settings/Choose account/Sync Settings/Size to retrieve emails <== set to All as long as you are OK with this.

It appears that sync stops at the total downloaded amount of the size setting.

===

As a secondary comment, upgraded from a Galaxy S1, Android 2.3 to the Note a week ago: I need the stylus for my work and do not want to carry a tablet as well.

I have not used any other current generation Android phones so this is a comment in isolation but I have never encountered such a horrible user interface mess before in my life. Is this typical of current generation Android devices?

And, prior to the ROM software push I received less than two days ago, the most unreliable communication device I have used in 20 years. At least with the ROM update I can connect to the network most of the time now...

Hoping things get better as I slog through the manual.

BeRich

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same problem until I tried this:

Settings/Account settings/Choose account/Sync Settings/Size to retrieve emails <== set to All as long as you are OK with this.

It appears that sync stops at the total downloaded amount of the size setting.

Already done. All the settings I have are set to enable automatic retrieval of emails. Push, email size, etc. It simply will not do it on its own for whatever reason.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Already done. All the settings I have are set to enable automatic retrieval of emails. Push, email size, etc. It simply will not do it on its own for whatever reason.

Have you tried removing all the email accounts and re-adding them? What about using a different mail app(s). Gmail and Yahoo mail apps (if applicable) or another 3rd party app?

from my '14 Note 10.1

ringingrocks

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This is clearly a bug. I have the Note 3 as well and am experiencing the same problem. Email will only load manually BUT ONLY if I overscroll the bottom of the message list which displays a notification that more messages are being loaded. Pressing the sync buttons does nothing. I've done everything suggested and then some to try and sort this out. I went to the Verizon store as well and asked them to set up my account on another Note 3. The same issue. Samsung claims that no one has reported this issue to them. I insisted that Verizon log the bug. I installed K-9 Mail in the meantime, a suitable replacment to the native email program but with many more features. It works flawlessly, so for the time being, I'm satisfied. I'll be contacting Samsung again to insist they list the bug and we will hopefully get it resolved with the next Android update.

blanier98

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Oddly enough I have the same issue. But my email will push when NOT connected to wifi. ...some times