Verizon Note 3 is factory sim unlocked

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So stupid question number 2...

Why does Verizon want me to contact them when I go out of the country and get their Global plan or whatever? (Hence stupid question, because I have a feeling I know what the answer is...)

Semi-stupid question: If I do go to say, Europe, I don't have to call Verizon and tell them to unlock it or whatever, because it's already unlocked?

I don't do any real International travel (Canada and Jamaica were two places I've been to...that's it), but I know Europe is in my future...very possible next year or the year after. I have heard real horror stories about folks bringing their Verizon phones and they were incurring charges in the hundreds if not thousands. Getting a prepaid sim over there and popping it in like it's nothing would be very clutch, but I had no idea you could do that on Verizon phones.

Why else? Verizon wants your money... But the phones support the radios of international carriers so you can slap a SIM from one of them and be good :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So stupid question number 2...

Why does Verizon want me to contact them when I go out of the country and get their Global plan or whatever? (Hence stupid question, because I have a feeling I know what the answer is...)

Semi-stupid question: If I do go to say, Europe, I don't have to call Verizon and tell them to unlock it or whatever, because it's already unlocked?

I don't do any real International travel (Canada and Jamaica were two places I've been to...that's it), but I know Europe is in my future...very possible next year or the year after. I have heard real horror stories about folks bringing their Verizon phones and they were incurring charges in the hundreds if not thousands. Getting a prepaid sim over there and popping it in like it's nothing would be very clutch, but I had no idea you could do that on Verizon phones.

Sprint att and Verizon all charge about $20,000 per gb of data if you don't sign up for an international plan ahead of time.

TMobile offers unlimited but something like 0.1mbps. So pretty slow, but free, and you don't have to worry about overages

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Sprint att and Verizon all charge about $20,000 per gb of data if you don't sign up for an international plan ahead of time.

So, popping in a prepaid SIM card when I arrive at a country, and I'm good to go then? Awesome. That really is good to know as I know that I'll be leaving the hemisphere sometime in the future and I would love to use my Note 3 doing it (without paying Verizon more money than I'd have to.)

You guys wouldn't happen to know if the same holds true with a Jetpack (ZTE 890L--it takes a 2FF sim [full size])? Or are only Smartphones unlocked?

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
You, guys, are freely giving these soothing reassurances, but I've yet to read a single report from anybody who bought his/her N3 in the US, traveled to Europe, just popped in a foreign SIM, and cruised.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You, guys, are freely giving these soothing reassurances, but I've yet to read a single report from anybody who bought his/her N3 in the US, traveled to Europe, just popped in a foreign SIM, and cruised.

It's because users here have popped in something like a T-Mobile SIM and it worked for Verizon.. Or an AT&T one.. So it's unlocked. You can ensure with Verizon before hand.. Just don't let them sell you on their plan. Stick to the topic of the phone being unlocked or not.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I only said that the Verizon note 3 is factory sim unlocked. I stated earlier that I haven't tested it internationally, so can't verify whether or not it is region locked.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So, popping in a prepaid SIM card when I arrive at a country, and I'm good to go then? Awesome. That really is good to know as I know that I'll be leaving the hemisphere sometime in the future and I would love to use my Note 3 doing it (without paying Verizon more money than I'd have to.)

You guys wouldn't happen to know if the same holds true with a Jetpack (ZTE 890L--it takes a 2FF sim [full size])? Or are only Smartphones unlocked?

That I don't know as I haven't traveled out of the country, I cannot confirm whether or not it is region locked. But the Verizon international plan is way cheaper than pay as you go. Obviously local sim would be cheaper.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I didn't mean you, personally. But I remember a number of people posting this rosy information while at least quite a few Europeans found that not to be true in their experience.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I didn't mean you, personally. But I remember a number of people posting this rosy information while at least quite a few Europeans found that not to be true in their experience.

But wouldn't that be the international version and not the carrier Verizon version?

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
It's because users here have popped in something like a T-Mobile SIM and it worked for Verizon.. Or an AT&T one.. So it's unlocked. You can ensure with Verizon before hand.. Just don't let them sell you on their plan. Stick to the topic of the phone being unlocked or not.

I have to agree with that sentiment. I know one person with an AT&T N3, my nephew has a Sprint N3, and I have a VZW N3. T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM carriers. Verizon has historically locked phones for use only in their network, but when I did research on unlocking a N3, I was brought to this thread. I may want to go to the UK at some point and at that point, I'd still own my Note 3 (could be within two years...gotta see.) Dealing with a local SIM card over there instead of taking out a second mortgage to pay for VZW's global plan certainly appeals to me, as I know of people who dealt with very high bills just for using their phone as if they were still at home.

I see Simon's point too, I would like to hear from VZW customers who have gone abroad and used any Galaxy phone (Note "x" or S"x") and swapped SIMs. I would be ok that it works, and not care about quality. I just don't want to pay Verizon for international roaming.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Some time ago, a US user who owned N2 commented on it as "finally, a true international phone." In fact, it was her post that caused my interest in N3 in the first place. Unfortunately, now I'm not sure at all that N3 fits the same description. It looks like we won't know until a few people go across the pond and actually test their phones with foreign SIMs.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Some time ago, a US user who owned N2 commented on it as "finally, a true international phone." In fact, it was her post that caused my interest in N3 in the first place. Unfortunately, now I'm not sure at all that N3 fits the same description. It looks like we won't know until a few people go across the pond and actually test their phones with foreign SIMs.

I don't suppose I could get you to pay for my way over there? I'll be glad to record via video my findings...:p

All I know is this, SIM-swap or no, Notes are very good phones...I wish the Note 3 didn't come out so that I could have kept my Note 2...but the Note 3 just blows the 2 out of the water.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm not aware that there is some kind of "international version" sold by US carriers.

That's because there isn't... You said you know of a few Europeans finding their phones not unlocked. So I said they have the international version that their carrier could of locked... Not the Verizon version which is different.

tb4me

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Verizon note 3 from Ireland using a "3" network sim. 3g only, no lte, but works fine. I am rooted, but don't think that mattered. Bought the local sim, put it in and followed their instructions.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sent from my Verizon note 3 from Ireland using a "3" network sim. 3g only, no lte, but works fine. I am rooted, but don't think that mattered. Bought the local sim, put it in and followed their instructions.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks TB for showing him we aren't lying and trying to be evil. :D.

wifi442

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought the Note 3 on Verizon from Sam's club. Amazing phone! I am traveling to Argentina next month and am hopeful it will work once I get a local SIM. I have my S4 google edition as a backup just in case though :) If anyone else can update this thread as they travel I, and others will appreciate it!