VZW Note 3 First Impressions

JoeInCT

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I have been using it now for 2 days. Previously I used the Note 2. Here are my first impressions.

1) The display is a disappointment. Out of the box, I asked people in my office which display looked better (using the same wallpaper on both) and everyone said the Note 2. I changed the screen mode to Dynamic on the Note 3 and they said the two were comparable. The extra resolution (ppi) and screen size are almost unnoticeable. The display is not an overall improvement.

2) Call quality is a disappointment. Note 2 is better. I'm hearing all kinds of noises (squealing and distortion) during the call and the overall sound quality (frequency response) was better on the Note 2. Ultimately, I may send the phone back for this reason. It is bad.

3) The camera is better for day shots, but not as good for low light.

4) Signal reception is not as good. Drops signals and "falls back" to slower speeds much faster than the Note 2.

That is my first impressions. It seems Samsung was cheap on some components and it shows. Can't say it is any better than the Note 2 or an incremental upgrade. I'm disappointed so far.

You?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had the Note 2 (sold it in June). My Note 2's display had a somewhat greenish tint to it that my Note 3 definitely does not have. I prefer the Note 3's display as text looks sharper to me and the colors don't seem to really pop. I've had great call quality but I'm on AT&T and for me, its par for the course.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I have been using it now for 2 days. Previously I used the Note 2. Here are my first impressions.

1) The display is a disappointment. Out of the box, I asked people in my office which display looked better (using the same wallpaper on both) and everyone said the Note 2. I changed the screen mode to Dynamic on the Note 3 and they said the two were comparable. The extra resolution (ppi) and screen size are almost unnoticeable. The display is not an overall improvement.

2) Call quality is a disappointment. Note 2 is better. I'm hearing all kinds of noises (squealing and distortion) during the call and the overall sound quality (frequency response) was better on the Note 2. Ultimately, I may send the phone back for this reason. It is bad.

3) The camera is better for day shots, but not as good for low light.

That is my first impressions. It seems Samsung was cheap on some components and it shows. Can't say it is any better than the Note 2 or an incremental upgrade. I'm disappointed so far.

You?

The problem with personal impressions on any device is just that, they're personal. I dont think your impression can speak for the Note 3 for everyone. My calls are good, I think the screen is awesome. I can tell the difference between 1080p vs 720p because I can view more information on textual websites etc etc. Pictures and video... not so much.

Sorry you are disappointed. Skip the N3 and stay with the N2 until the N4 comes out?

treedabl

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I am not that disappointed. I've had both so I'm not sure what you mean by the display looking better on the Note 2. I've had no issues with call quality and the overall enhancement of features makes this a good upgrade for me. l admit that I'm still learning my way around the phone but I really like it so far.

Sent from my Note 3

JoeInCT

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Please keep in mind the impression on the display was not mine exclusively. It was a side by side comparison of a professional quality portrait of my daughter as the wallpaper. I asked 5 people and they all agreed the Note 2 was better out of the box and "the same" if I juiced up the colors on the 3.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Please keep in mind the impression on the display was not mine exclusively. It was a side by side comparison of a professional quality portrait of my daughter as the wallpaper. I asked 5 people and they all agreed the Note 2 was better out of the box and "the same" if I juiced up the colors on the 3.

Not trying to argue for arguments sake, but I noticed you used the words "juiced up".

I remember buying a nice LED TV from Bestbuy. Looking at the display at the store, the colors popped, saturation was good, etc etc. A week after I got the TV home, I had a friend come over who calibrates TVs for a living. He used some type of a spectrometer attached to the screen and adjusted my TV accordingly. When he was finished.... I was shocked. I thought the picture was terribly muted. It didnt pop like it did at BB. He smiled and told me that I would see things differently in a week of viewing.

He was right. Now when I see display TV's at BB, I cringe at how much they have their TVs "juiced up". I can see colors way more accurately on my TV.

Which gets me back to ..... is "juiced up" a really good display?

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Make sure you go to settings/display/display mode/ and uncheck adaptive display and select movie mode or standard.. have both side by side there is no question the note 3 screen is better

Posted via Android Central App

rurutia

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Not trying to argue for arguments sake, but I noticed you used the words "juiced up".

I remember buying a nice LED TV from Bestbuy. Looking at the display at the store, the colors popped, saturation was good, etc etc. A week after I got the TV home, I had a friend come over who calibrates TVs for a living. He used some type of a spectrometer attached to the screen and adjusted my TV accordingly. When he was finished.... I was shocked. I thought the picture was terribly muted. It didnt pop like it did at BB. He smiled and told me that I would see things differently in a week of viewing.

He was right. Now when I see display TV's at BB, I cringe at how much they have their TVs "juiced up". I can see colors way more accurately on my TV.

Which gets me back to ..... is "juiced up" a really good display?

Agreed. I stayed away from Samsung phones for awhile because I felt that the display literally (or figuratively for those of you who are raging at my hyperbole right now) raped my eyes because of how garish the colors were. Just because they 'pop' more doesn't mean they are accurate or actually look better.

It could be your phone, with those crackling issues.

I'm loving mine so far.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
My first impression? I have never kept a phone a year sans note 2. Never upgraded to the next version until sans, the note 3. Amazing phone I will have for another year :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 4

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
It's lunatic to day note2 has better display.

I inspected both, note 2's ppi and brightness is far inferior than note 3.

KJD209

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
There is no question that the N3 has a better display. That is an objective observation. Now the antenna; that one is up for grabs. My VZW N3 constantly reverts down to 3G. Very frustrating.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Seems the same as the note 2. Works fine and I live in a low signal area. Better voice reception than my moto x.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

joshwithachance

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Samsung wanted a display with good colors that isn't cartoonish with how exaggerated the colors are. I think the Note 3 has a stunning display, and while not as colorful it is far superior to the display on my now retired Note 2.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
screen is great, and yes i thought my note 2 was great too....i guess i'm happy with great and wasn't focused on the screen looking even "greater" not sure i would see a difference at this level of great.

call quality has been great, and yes my note 2 was great too.....if you are having crackling, etc i would return the phone

haven't messed with the camera too much yet....

my signal is pretty much on par with my note 2. as long as i get good reception and things are blazing along well i don't care what the signal shows.... and yes my note 3 is blazing along....

the biggest thing that attracted me to the note 3 was the functionality of the new s pen and everything else was just icing....and it hasn't disappointed!!