Love or Hate your Galaxy Note 3?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Simply amazing...WOW, how did I miss this thread. Just checked my Note3 for any kind of crack, happy to report none so far, but as I read thru this thread it appears that it could happen at any time without me dropping the device. I did put an iLoome tempered GLASS screen protector on my Verizon Note3 hope that helps. I would hate to just wake up to my screen being crack without me doing anything to cause it. The sad part about all of this is Samsung won't admit that there is a flaw in the screen making process thats causing "crackage". Trust me they already know about the defect.

Can't dispute Alain's decision.
It just takes one direct run-in with an intransigent company to go off the brand for life, or even hear of some.
I admit I haven't read all of the thread.
I think most of us are alright, as they probably said on the Titanic.
No more selfies with my face though.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
My guess would be that this anomaly has shown up in less than 1% of the phones manufactured. Should Samsung stand by it? Sure.

It just perplexes me that you'd give up a phone you like because of something so rare. Do you not buy cars for fear they may breakdown?

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

no, but I would get rid of it before too many recall happen

and by the way cars have recall....so now if Samsung would have recall on their phone that would be different

Last edited:

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
As I posted later - I read a lot, but not all of that thread, including your posts. How many do you figure had that issue in that thread? Some were other Samsungs but yes there seemed quite a few. You handled the thread well.
Your decision was probably more to do with p--- poor replacement cover on that aspect and Samsung trying to dodge the bullet.
Real shame. I didn't get if it was happening soon after purchase, or can happen 6 months in.
Stay posting. :)

Via my Note 3 on AC.

I don't remember how may but quite a few.....I would not be happy if that happen to me...phone too expensive to take a chance......And as for Samsung phone..well never again for me..

for most of them was long before their one year warranty end.....2 weeks up to whenever.....but Samsung always says;you dropped our phone; just to get out of the warranty....

Last edited:

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

and by the way cars have recall....so now if Samsung would have recall on their phone that would be different

Actually most known problems don't get recalled. They sweep it under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist. If there are enough instances they'll issue a technical service bulletin, which the customer is never aware of, but is basically the manufacturer acknowledging there's a problem, and giving the technicians instructions on how to fix it. A recall isn't issued until enough people get hurt, endangered or killed.

Maybe this is a similar thing, it's a problem Samsung knows about, but not big enough for them to care or act on. Point is, no product is perfect and I'm not going to be scared to own something I like because there's a less than 1% chance something might go wrong. That's no way to live.

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Actually most known problems don't get recalled. They sweep it under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist. If there are enough instances they'll issue a technical service bulletin, which the customer is never aware of, but is basically the manufacturer acknowledging there's a problem, and giving the technicians instructions on how to fix it. A recall isn't issued until enough people get hurt, endangered or killed.

Maybe this is a similar thing, it's a problem Samsung knows about, but not big enough for them to care or act on. Point is, no product is perfect and I'm not going to be scared to own something I like because there's a less than 1% chance something might go wrong. That's no way to live.

you might be right for the small %...When I bought the phone I paid full price...Now I could get another one....but I would get the insurance on it....just in case....

For now I am waiting for the 8.1 to come out for windows phone and then decide which way to go

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Reguardless of the screen "crackage" problems, I think the Note3 is one of the BEST smartphones on the planet. I luv mine and it's probably one of the best smartphones I've ever owned (I've owned plenty), and I'm not going anywhere until the Note4 is released.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

HaHa. Imagine Samsung putting out a recall on all their Note 3's. That would be the decent and honourable thing to do, if they were worried about a manufacturing defect on every phone. Maybe Sony, being Japanese (or were?), would consider it. From what we hear of Samsung though, unlikely. Good point, in jest, Alain.
(Posted before I read kj11's post, which of course is the best to be hoped for.)

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
HaHa. Imagine Samsung putting out a recall on all their Note 3's. That would be the decent and honourable thing to do, if they were worried about a manufacturing defect on every phone. Maybe Sony, being Japanese (or were?), would consider it. From what we hear of Samsung though, unlikely. Good point, in jest, Alain.
(Posted before I read kj11's post, which of course is the best to be hoped for.)

we can always hope and/or dream about it...........lol

sonic1519

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Already stated i'm getting use to it. But it is a great phone don't know if i'll keep it yet.
One thing that's stupid and is strange when in car a 2013 Mustang with Ford sync
it won't show artist or name of song when using bluetooth. but if i use a usb thumb
drive perfect. not the phones problem but it still a pain. plus when i had my windows phone it would read back text messages. hands free. with the note you have to use the radio buttons to hear your messages. note enough to make me switch but you would think they could figure all this out before releasing the phone

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Already stated i'm getting use to it. But it is a great phone don't know if i'll keep it yet.
One thing that's stupid and is strange when in car a 2013 Mustang with Ford sync
it won't show artist or name of song when using bluetooth. but if i use a usb thumb
drive perfect. not the phones problem but it still a pain. plus when i had my windows phone it would read back text messages. hands free. with the note you have to use the radio buttons to hear your messages. note enough to make me switch but you would think they could figure all this out before releasing the phone

probably in your ford it is running windows software that is why windows phone work with

HothTron

Banned
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site

The problem is your driving a Ford

llfloyd79

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Love my Note 3...I have no complaints. Kit kat 4.4.2 is working great and battery life has been fine.

Posted via Android Central App

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Love my Note 3, an amazing device! I can't believe all it will do. I'm not going to lay awake at night listening for the screen to crack!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size does matter!"

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Love my Note 3, an amazing device! I can't believe all it will do. I'm not going to lay awake at night listening for the screen to crack!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size does matter!"

Let's all be very fair though. I don't think Alain would have been doing that either. I know we all make posts only in good humor. Alain has been a good contributor and was helping out big time in that large 'cracked screen' thread. The attitude of Samsung to it's customers and the limitations of the warranty put him right off the brand. I think he bought his outright and paid dear for an early release model. I bought mine outright when the price came down. I am sure in Alains position, fending those posts, I would have sought to get some money back while my phone was still working. Yes the Note 3 has good extra features (many I don't use), but there are other large or 5" screens available now with high performance and a brand to have more faith in.
I hope you'll agree.

Sermon over. Go in peace. :)

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Last edited:

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Let's all be very fair though. I don't think Alain would have been doing that either. I know we all make posts only in good humor. Alain has been a good cobtributor and was helping out big time in that large 'cracked screen' thread. The attitude of Samsung to it's customers and the limitations of the warranty put him right off the brand. I think he bought his outright and paid dear for an early release model. I bought mine outright when the price came down. I am sure in Alains position, fending those posts, I would have sought to get some money back while my phone was still working. Yes the Note 3 has good extra features (many I don't use), but there are other large or 5" screens available now with high performance and a brand to have more faith in.
I hope you'll agree.

Sermon over. Go in peace. :)

Via my Note 3 on AC.

that is exactly right.....no excuse for a big manufacturer to act like this.....

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
this was also a good read................

BBC News - Samsung Electronics apologises to Chinese consumers.....(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24634589)

Samsung Electronics apologises to Chinese consumers

Samsung Electronics has apologised to Chinese consumers after a report carried on China's state TV claimed some of its phones were malfunctioning.

The report alleged the phones were crashing due to faulty memory chips and criticised its repair policies.

Samsung, which generates nearly 14% of its overall revenue from China. said it would provide free repairs for the seven models mentioned in the report.

In a separate development Samsung was also fined by Taiwanese authorities.

Taiwan's Fair Trade Commission levied a fine of fined 10m Taiwanese dollars ($340,000; ?210,000) over allegations that Samsung had paid money to people to criticise rival's products.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
There you go.
Samsung haven't covered themselves in glory with their customer service here in the recent past (Amazon UK and other reviews).

If my phone goes doolally now, I doubt I will get much help. I registered it with Samsung, but it was an Amazon purchase re-sold to me on eBay unopened.
There may be horror stories with every brand. The customer will choose largely based on their experience.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Last edited:

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I can truly sympathize with people who are worried about the possible "screen cracking without cause" but selling a phone because of the possibility of something going wrong with it is a little rash in my opinion. Every device out there have countless documented faults and each one of them have the possibility of failing one way or another. What's the point of selling one phone to buy another one that still runs the same risk of having problems sooner or later, albeit a different one.

I admit I am a brand loyalist and before my last phone, a Galaxy S3, all I've ever used are Nokias. I used Nokias for 13 years without fail going through at least 25 different models, some had minor issues, some were flawless. The streak stopped after I went through 2 Lumia 920's both of which were bought outright and both were defective out of the box. The first one would overheat to the point were it was uncomfortable to touch, the second one had creaking hardware issues, there were other countless issues other buyers encountered. I was a stupid early adopter and I couldn't handle spending anymore money for the sake of brand loyalty so I switched to the S3.

13 months later and I was hesitantly selling my S3 to upgrade to the Note 3 and sticking with Samsung, based on my very positive experience with the S3. Yes, there's always a possibility that my Note 3's screen might crack, or develop some other defect. But, at the very least it didn't -ship- with defects.