Any Blackberry people have the Note 3? Impressions?

purpledog10

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Are there any Blackberry users who have gone to the Note 3? What are your likes/dislikes with this Android phone? Are there any deal breakers in the different OS? What are you used to being able to do on the BB that you can't do or doesn't work as well on the Note 3? What works better on the Note 3 or is something you can't do on the BB? I'm interested to hear your impressions!

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
picture going from a go-kart to a Ferrari.

I agree. I was a long time crackberry addict and still hope they pull out of it, but it is not even a comparison feature wise. I played with a Z10 and loved that keyboard but I'll tell you this stock keyboard on the note is awesome to me.

Posted via Android Central App

TheMaskedMamba

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
As a former BB user who moved to Android in general. One of the main things I was lacking was the unified mailbox. So when I had email move into subfolders by exchange rules I wouldn't be notified on my phone and I'd have to go into the folder to check for new email.

I was introduced to Touchdown for Android and now I'm glad to say I'm on my 4th android device and haven't looked back

Sent From "The Beast"

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

purpledog10

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
As a former BB user who moved to Android in general. One of the main things I was lacking was the unified mailbox. So when I had email move into subfolders by exchange rules I wouldn't be notified on my phone and I'd have to go into the folder to check for new email.

I was introduced to Touchdown for Android and now I'm glad to say I'm on my 4th android device and haven't looked back

Sent From "The Beast"

So there are apps that provide a unified hub for all messaging (email, sms, facebook, etc.)? I think I would miss that from the new BB10 OS. I also wouldn't shy away from rooting to be able to customize. I don't like the lack of customization on the BB.

purpledog10

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Better keyboard, build quality, multitasking, and inbox?

They need to change the name of that site to "crockberry". The delusional canucks over there are desperate to find something to praise even if they have to fabricate it.

Well, I've got a Z10 and think the keyboard and HUB inbox are fantastic. As a new OS, BB10 dropped a lot of the features from the older OSs which made BBs BBs. There are a lot of really, really nice things about the Z10, but I'm starting to dislike the areas that are still lacking. I had a GS2 when it first came out, and it started to become awkward after awhile compared to the older BB OS I was used to. Now that Android is more mature, I'm hoping there are mods that will give me the features I want. I'm drooling over the Note 3, and I'm planning on getting it, but I want to be as fully informed as possible so my expectations are realistic!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
All I can say is that coming from BB to Android the learning curve was steep.

Only because you got comfortable with what you used. Android is user friendly enough that 80%+ of the world uses it.

Bb10 for me is a confusing mess of gestures, inconsistent ui, trash can hub, deep buried menus. It's like a french-designed OS. Think renault os. I think potential customers pick it up, played with it, and put it right back down. It is off putting.

purpledog10

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Only because you got comfortable with what you used. Android is user friendly enough that 80%+ of the world uses it.

Bb10 for me is a confusing mess of gestures, inconsistent ui, trash can hub, deep buried menus. It's like a french-designed OS. I think potential customers pick it up, played with it, and put it down.

That's true; every time I try to use my old S2 which my son now uses, I'm totally confused! So I'm expecting a learning curve,especially with all of the features of the Note 3.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Well, I've got a Z10 and think the keyboard and HUB inbox are fantastic. As a new OS, BB10 dropped a lot of the features from the older OSs which made BBs BBs. There are a lot of really, really nice things about the Z10, but I'm starting to dislike the areas that are still lacking. I had a GS2 when it first came out, and it started to become awkward after awhile compared to the older BB OS I was used to. Now that Android is more mature, I'm hoping there are mods that will give me the features I want. I'm drooling over the Note 3, and I'm planning on getting it, but I want to be as fully informed as possible so my expectations are realistic!

You went from a glorified pager to a real smartphone.

The Note 3 is a great device. I think you'll enjoy it. The only phone i would consider over it is the Nexus 5.

Good luck!

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

If the Hub is one of your favorite things about BlackBerry 10, I don't know that the notification shade on an Android phone can satisfy you. Since the Z10's keyboard is somewhat similar to SwiftKey, you can download that keyboard to make your transition to an Android phone easier, if you find that you need it.

I wasn't going to respond on this thread, as I came from the opposite side of what you were looking for. I am an Android person that has tried three BlackBerry devices, including the Z10. I have posted on CrackBerry some of the things that I missed from Android on the Z10. As one who didn't care for the Hub or the Z10 keyboard, I can't say that I miss those. The gestures are neat in BB10, but I can definitely live without them. The browser was fast on the Z10, but I had too many other browser/Wi-Fi problems that overrode the speed that the browser offered.

I think that the best phone for you will vary by what you do. I don't do many things that require text input on my phone. I browse, watch and use apps that require tap input on my phones primarily. Someone who sends more emails and text messages than I do will have a very different outlook on any phone than I do.

What can I do with the Note 3 that I could not do with the Z10? I'll try to keep it short, as I have posted some of this on CrackBerry, as I said earlier. I can use handwriting input (S Pen), I can fully perform tasks using NFC (and not have to do manual input on the phone to execute the task), I can use my Galaxy Gear with the Note 3 and I can watch video and actually enjoy it on a 5.7" screen.

jamesish

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've had Android for years and still learning Note 3 features. I talked the quick sidebar menu today.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk now Free

vzw8830

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My bb progression. Got a 8830 world phone at release from vzw, had a curve after that. (Iphone concurrent with bb for a year) Storm 1, 2, curve 8330, bold 9930.
tried out a moto droid razr m, disliked it and reactivated my 9930 until the z10 came out.

very impressed with bb10, stable after we got the 10.1 leak, love the swipe/flow. Hub obviously. Toast notifications were a killer addition in 10.2
so from this you get im a fairly diehard bb user, and I would bleed blackberrys if you asked my wife or friends lol

When blackberry for whatever the reason botched the cross platform bbm release that was oddly enough the straw that broke the camels back for me, if they couldnt get even that right I have little faith left in them.

I picked the note 3 up the day after launch and am throughly impressed.
Solid build on the phone, light weight, amazing screen, decent speaker. Love the s-pen features (picked up a note 8 a few months ago after bb cconfirmed no new playbooks.)
So there was prior s-pen experience there.
I can type as fast or faster than on the z10
grabbing messages from the shade works well for me.
amazing battery life compared to my last two blackberrys.

I would strongly recommend this phone if you are happy with the size of this phone

dpoverlord

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I went from Tour 9930 to Bold 9650 to 9930 to Q10 and then after the failure of being able to quickly scroll through contacts ( SERIOUSLY ), when I have 10,000+ contacts between my email accounts, the failure to be able to group message. I went to a Note 3. Before I write more, you can tell I am a DIe Hard Blackberry user. I even called RIM and most likely have spent 100's of hours fiddling, working, tweaking with leaked OS's my older blackberries.

Leading to the Note 3. The Q10 was the last chance for me, after not being able to do the basic things to even the launch of BBM (not huge to me since I only have 97 BBM friends now), I said "If they can't get this right"....

Anyways, after day 1, I miss the gestures / keyboard of the Q10 and the Time lapse function. I figure I will find a way to get this and the keyboard / group functionality back.

So far the Note 3 is superior just by it's screen real estate.

coolaide

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I went from Tour 9930 to Bold 9650 to 9930 to Q10 and then after the failure of being able to quickly scroll through contacts ( SERIOUSLY ), when I have 10,000+ contacts between my email accounts, the failure to be able to group message. I went to a Note 3. Before I write more, you can tell I am a DIe Hard Blackberry user. I even called RIM and most likely have spent 100's of hours fiddling, working, tweaking with leaked OS's my older blackberries.

Leading to the Note 3. The Q10 was the last chance for me, after not being able to do the basic things to even the launch of BBM (not huge to me since I only have 97 BBM friends now), I said "If they can't get this right"....

Anyways, after day 1, I miss the gestures / keyboard of the Q10 and the Time lapse function. I figure I will find a way to get this and the keyboard / group functionality back.

If you use go launcher you get almost all the gestures back.

purpledog10

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
My bb progression. Got a 8830 world phone at release from vzw, had a curve after that. (Iphone concurrent with bb for a year) Storm 1, 2, curve 8330, bold 9930.
tried out a moto droid razr m, disliked it and reactivated my 9930 until the z10 came out.

very impressed with bb10, stable after we got the 10.1 leak, love the swipe/flow. Hub obviously. Toast notifications were a killer addition in 10.2
so from this you get im a fairly diehard bb user, and I would bleed blackberrys if you asked my wife or friends lol

When blackberry for whatever the reason botched the cross platform bbm release that was oddly enough the straw that broke the camels back for me, if they couldnt get even that right I have little faith left in them.

I picked the note 3 up the day after launch and am throughly impressed.
Solid build on the phone, light weight, amazing screen, decent speaker. Love the s-pen features (picked up a note 8 a few months ago after bb cconfirmed no new playbooks.)
So there was prior s-pen experience there.
I can type as fast or faster than on the z10
grabbing messages from the shade works well for me.
amazing battery life compared to my last two blackberrys.

I would strongly recommend this phone if you are happy with the size of this phone

Thank you, you are just the type of person I wanted to hear from!

purpledog10

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I'm thinking that with Android being open source, surely all the features that BB left out of BB10 (like group functionality) can be found somewhere! It's so customizable, I'm hoping that I can get the N3 set up to how I want it to be without losing the S-Pen features that come with TouchWiz. I want the best of both worlds--Blackberry and TouchWiz!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513