We are moving to Indonesia and won't be signing up for a wireless plan (but we'll be keeping our Vonage number). I currently have a Galaxy S II and really like it as a smart phone, but I want to get an e-reader because I like to read and books will be difficult to get a hold of where we'll be living (fairly rural). I was thinking that I might get a Galaxy Note to use in place of my Galaxy S II. I want to use all of the smart phone functions (minus actually using it as a phone) and use it as my ereader as well (also use the vonage app to make calls). Is this even possible? I've seen some talk of Samsung devices being locked. Can I buy one and unlock it and get a non-affiliated sim card?

If I do this, can I then (when we move back to the US) put, say, an ATT sim card in and use it as a phone again?

Any advice you could provide would be helpful!
    10-13-2013 07:54 PM
    If it is purely wifi only you don't need to put in a sim.

Or are you wanting a unlocked aim version?

There are GSM versions available.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-13-2013 07:59 PM
    I am thinking you may want to look at the International version that is missing lte. It is the cheapest and most universal. It will be good for wifi, and will work with att or T-mo when you get back.

Just curious why not keep the s2 and just get a note 8. Split the work between them and the note 8 will be a better for reading books.

10-13-2013 10:18 PM
    I'd like to be able to use it as a phone when we get back in a few years. Also, I was thinking that I might try putting in a pre-paid sim card from over there for the occasional cell call or use of internet when wi-fi just isn't available. Is that possible? Do I have to get a GSM version then to be able to do this?
    10-14-2013 09:30 AM
    Mavrrick- I don't want to have more than one device that's why I haven't bought a kindle for ereading or anything else.
    10-14-2013 09:32 AM
    You Will Have to look at the carriers where you are but almost everyone outside of the us is GSM.

At&t and t-mobile in the us are also GSM.

10-14-2013 09:58 AM