Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Does anyone else think the camera sucks?

amariem

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if I'm using the camera wrong or if my phone is a lemon or what. But I am not happy with the camera quality of the Note 3. It just seems like every picture I take is really grainy and almost as if it has a filter applied to it to make it look like brushstrokes. It doesn't seem like 13mp at all, it acts more like it's a low quality front facing camera.

For instance, these photos of my cat have this filtered blurry effect. I took these with the auto mode.
cat1.jpg
cat3.jpg

When I turned on the flash the photo turned out a little better, although I'd rather have a crisp photo like this without the flash on.
cat2.jpg

So what's the deal, is this camera just bad with indoor lighting? I'm holding it extremely steading when taking photos, so the quality can't be due to that.

GtoJon

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Does anyone else think the camera sucks?

As a Photographer, I can tell you this 13mp camera does suck! As a consumer with a cell phone for a camera, this camera rocks :) It will not look like a DSLR ... not ever. When I compare this to my Note 2, it is better! When I compare it to a 10 year old 6mp DSLR, the Note 3 camera sucks! I can't lie, I did buy this phone for the camera .... I do wish it was a lot better, but for the size of sensor, lens & convenience .... I'm not going to complain at this time!

Cheers, Jon

amariem

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I just don't get it because I had the iphone 4s before, which has a much lower megapixel camera than the Note 3 camera. Yet the iphone 4s seemed to take better pictures indoors.

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

As a Photographer, I can tell you this 13mp camera does suck! As a consumer with a cell phone for a camera, this camera rocks :) It will not look like a DSLR ... not ever. When I compare this to my Note 2, it is better! When I compare it to a 10 year old 6mp DSLR, the Note 3 camera sucks! I can't lie, I did buy this phone for the camera .... I do wish it was a lot better, but for the size of sensor, lens & convenience .... I'm not going to complain at this time!

Cheers, Jon

Absolutely agree

Yvon Gravel

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I sent from an iphone 4 to a note 3. One of the reason I change my phone, is that I wanted a better camera. It's not terrible but it could be a lot better

Here is a picture I took other it.

uqy9asu2.jpg

Envoy? de mon iPad ? l'aide de Tapatalk HD

TechnoGeezer

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

You have to remember that it is a phone camera not a high end professional or prosumer camera. I recently bought a Nikon D600 for $3000 USD. That is a decent camera. A good lens for it runs a bit more than the Note 3 off contract. Even so, good lighting, proper focus, composition, etc. will have a huge effect on the picture you get. I haven't made the leap to the Note 3 yet so I can't comment on the quality of the pictures it takes but it has a tiny lens a very small sensor, both of which put certain limits on the quality of the pictures it can produce. 13 Mp is fine, but each of those pixels is very small. Try viewing you photos using editing software at full magnification to see the actual quality of the image.

jamesish

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

umy3edyd.jpg

What more would you want from a phone? Especially considering this isn't a camera phone nor does it try to sell it as so such as the iPhone.

But look for wifi camera accessories if you want professional images.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 3 now Free

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

I was concerned too at first, but I learned... Lighting is everything. Even when I thought I had enough light, I didn't. I took some outside pics that rival pro cameras. However, my inside pics aren't great but better than most phones. Like someone else said, the phone can't be best at everything lol

Tappety tap tapping on a VZW Note3

jamesish

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I was concerned too at first, but I learned... Lighting is everything. Even when I thought I had enough light, I didn't. I took some outside pics that rival pro cameras. However, my inside pics aren't great but better than most phones. Like someone else said, the phone can't be best at everything lol

Tappety tap tapping on a VZW Note3

And to be honest this is a problem with all camera phones. No one has perfected a good enough sensor to take pictures on low light and keep the price down. Samsung is releasing a new sensor next year though. Supposed to prefect that low light problem.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site

It's a good camera, but people's lack of photographic composition sucks. I've been in photography since I was young with a film SLR. We're still a ways off from having big enough sensors and software in our phones before they will take a photo comparable to RX100 quality. If you expect more, you might as well be asking for 3D holographic image projection. There is a reason compact cameras still have a place. Cell phones will take a decent picture, but will not be a replacement for a good advanced point and shoot, and for sure not a DSLR.

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

I just don't get it because I had the iphone 4s before, which has a much lower megapixel camera than the Note 3 camera. Yet the iphone 4s seemed to take better pictures indoors.

You simply can't compare smartphone cameras by the amount of megapixels. There are too many other factors at play here. Also, indoor lighting will always be an issue, so it's usually best to use your flash.

tap'n

GtoJon

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

As a Photographer, when ever I get a new body or lens, it takes practice with everyone of them to get the most out of my purchase! I also RTM at least 3 times to get the most out of what I can & can't do with the camera! This allows me to learn my limitations & my cameras' limitations!

Keep Practicing, Cheers, Jon

jamesish

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Also to add this MP situation is a joke. 13 MP doesn't mean better images. It means bigger images.

iPhone 5_to_GS4

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

Taken with iPhone 5

uz62.jpg

Taken with Galaxy Note 3.
qh16.jpg

Taken with iPhone 5

qguq.jpg

Taken with Note 3

b7ak.jpg

conclusion...iPhone 5 photos look more real. Note 3 photos are over exposed.

Last edited:

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I have been taking pictures on sport for the faster reaction. It seemed to such at first. But it's improved the more I shoot with it.

Posted via Android Central App

benski

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

Compared to the S4, the low light stuff is not nearly as good.

Of course I'm used to the low light performance of my trusty D700 :)