Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

I just switched to a (Verizon) galaxy note 3 after having previously returned a LG G2 because of a digital screeching/chopping/chirping etc.problem during calls. I'm having the same issues with the Note 3 and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

It sounds like I'm on a bad voip call and digital screeching/chopping/chirping happens at completely random times during the calls while the other voices on calls are completely clear. Other callers can hear me fine and don't hear any of the feedback. I did see some articles about Sprint Users complaining of call quality but nothing about Verizon.

See Link for info on the issues I was having on LG G2: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-...erizon-g2.html

I work from home and it only seems to occur from calls around my house. I wonder if it has something to do with the radios or tower. Signal Strength showing -94 dBm 46 asu.

Also wanted to mention my old verizon phones were a driod bionic and galaxy nexus. Both never had similar issues.
    10-14-2013 09:54 AM
    Same problem called verizon told me to do simple pull and reboot. I took off the case just in case same issue. It's not always just occasional walking around makes it go away seems like an under powered antenna. I hear chirp and some times garbled.
    10-14-2013 01:17 PM
    Just so you don't think it's your imagination, my sister had two Galaxy Note 3's exchanged on Saturday; they were both purchased on Thursday, October 10th, at a Verizon Wireless Corporate Store in Texas (Cedar Hill, TX 75104). She activated two lines after leaving T-Mobile-Less and having horrid service on that carrier for a better part of the two years she was under contract. Unfortunately, both of her Galaxy Note 3's were plagued with the same issues: crackling, popping, distortion and dropouts, sounding more like calls made over VOiP in a bad coverage area. Even sadder, the two "brand new" replacements (exchanges) are suffering from the same issues. I've read sporadic reports over the interweb over the past couple of days that others are experiencing the very same issues. This is disheartening because, firstly, her introduction to Verizon is not beginning well and the Galaxy Note 3 is the phone she and her husband both want at this point. Secondly, I was looking forward to upgrading to the Note 3 from my awesome superphone aka Galaxy Note 2 (VZW). Although, I am not as desperate as she is; my only problem is that I am literally out of both internal/external storage (64GB micro SD), so, I really wanted the 64GB iteration of this and was looking forward to the new SPen functionality - CPU, RAM upgrade & Res upgrade were also a plus. I am going to try to UL a screenshot from my sister's Galaxy Note 3 showing the abysmal signal strength (-105dBm). I know this is bad because, on average, I get between -74dBm to -82dBm on my Note 2; I usually only drop lower than -90dBm when I have two bars and I don't think I've ever had a reading higher (meaning lower signal) than -100dBm. (But, I live in NYC and she's in Dallas - but, that shouldn't matter because Verizon claims strong 4G LTE coverage in, near and around Dallas.
    Attached Thumbnails Digital Screeching on Verizon Galaxy Note 3-memo_73_01.jpg  
    10-14-2013 03:30 PM
    My signal strengh is -74 dBm 64 asu, its usually in the -70's but still have the issues on the phone, speakerphone, etc like really bad voip they are either compressing something or routing thru something different on the netwok, my htc thunderbolt sounded better which is surprising. Verizon tech told me that signal strength is related to the network type below it meaning LTE not the phone / voice. I have no issues with data only with the voice calls.
    10-14-2013 03:57 PM
    My signal strengh is -74 dBm 64 asu, its usually in the -70's but still have the issues on the phone, speakerphone, etc like really bad voip they are either compressing something or routing thru something different on the netwok, my htc thunderbolt sounded better which is surprising. Verizon tech told me that signal strength is related to the network type below it meaning LTE not the phone / voice. I have no issues with data only with the voice calls.
    She's not having data connectivity issues either, they're all voice call (s) related. You might be correct with your theory regarding the routing of voice calls; I've also come across customers with the G2 having these same issues whilst making/receiving calls. Unfortunately, it's really too early to determine the cause (or causes) of these issues. But, personally, even as badly as I would want ANY phone I wouldn't stay locked into a 2-year contract, especially if I'm within the first 14-day Cancellation period. I hope they get to the bottom of this. I still say, I love my Note 2 on Verizon - ZERO issues.
    10-14-2013 04:08 PM
    my signal strength sucks in my house according to the phone...i'm on the edge of 4g and at times bounce back and forth randomly, however, doesn't matter to me since the call quality is great, phone is still fast, no call dropping, crackling, or anything. i'm feeling lucky....no issues with my phone at all.....
    10-14-2013 04:13 PM
    Yea I'm lucky to get -100db where as with my 2 year old Razor Maxx got a max of -80db so I'm taking Samsung still socks on radios.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-14-2013 04:31 PM
    I just switched to a (Verizon) galaxy note 3 after having previously returned a LG G2 because of a digital screeching/chopping/chirping etc.problem during calls. I'm having the same issues with the Note 3 and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

It sounds like I'm on a bad voip call and digital screeching/chopping/chirping happens at completely random times during the calls while the other voices on calls are completely clear. Other callers can hear me fine and don't hear any of the feedback. I did see some articles about Sprint Users complaining of call quality but nothing about Verizon.

See Link for info on the issues I was having on LG G2: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-...erizon-g2.html

I work from home and it only seems to occur from calls around my house. I wonder if it has something to do with the radios or tower. Signal Strength showing -94 dBm 46 asu.

Also wanted to mention my old verizon phones were a driod bionic and galaxy nexus. Both never had similar issues.
    Wow, I'm so glad I found this thread. I was beginning to think I had the worst luck with phones of anyone in the world. I too switched from the G2 due to the same screeching\garbling during calls and am now having the same with the Note 3. Going to try to get a replacement tomorrow but I'm afraid I'm just cursed to poor call quality forever.

Edit: It's not signal related either. I'm placing calls from right under the damn tower and still getting the issues.
    10-14-2013 07:02 PM
    I have the same thing happening to me. I had no issues with my GS3 but with the Note 3 I get chirps and it sounds like a bad call when talking on the phone.

I just called my wife's phone while she was next to me and again I was getting broken sounds.

What could the issue be? If people are reporting the same thing with the LG G2 then maybe it has to do with the 800 chipset, since these are the only two phones out right now with it.
    10-14-2013 07:57 PM
    I'm on Verizon, I get -112 at my house and thankfully all is well. I'm hoping my luck continues.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-14-2013 08:03 PM
    It's either software on the phone or chipset related, if it was the network I think the person on the other end of the call would have trouble hearing the call and that's not the case because everyone I ask tells me they hear me crystal clear. I also bought an s4 and in the same locations and calling the same people the calls are flawless so I know it's not a tower issue.
    10-14-2013 08:36 PM
    Has anyone tried turning off mobile data? When turn I can't hear the distortion at least for now.
    kentc0209 likes this.
    10-15-2013 12:16 AM
    I have changed the device twice and the same problems continue. I will now return until the problem is acknowledged and fixed at this point Samsung, Verizon and Best Buy say that nothing wrong with the phones.
    10-17-2013 09:40 PM