No Internet connection during phone calls

DarkSide666

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a Verizon Note 3 when I make a phone call ANYTHING Internet related won't load but as soon as I end the call everything goes back to normal Driving Mode is OFF

Please Help!!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does your phone show 4G LTE or 3G mobile data connection? If you have poor 4G reception and can only get 3G, then I think you can't have voice and internet at the same time, because 3G and voice service use the same radio, while 4G LTE uses a separate radio.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe the Thunderbolt was somewhat unique in that it had a dual-band CDMA radio, which allowed you to talk and surf on 3G at the same time. There may have been a few other dual-band CDMA phones, but I don't think they're very common now. The fact that you're able to surf once you get 4G signal supports what I was talking about.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Whoops, actually that wasn't entirely correct. Here's an excerpt from this review of the Thunderbolt:

The two transceivers I speak of are the MSM8655?s built in cellular baseband (like all Qualcomm SoCs, you get a modem for free), and the MDM9600 which sits at the heart of every single other Verizon LTE product except the LG VL600 data card, which uses LG?s own L2000 chipset. If you want the short story, the Thunderbolt fully supports simultaneous CDMA2000-1x voice and 3G EVDO or 4G LTE data. The way this is done should already be somewhat obvious - the MSM8655 gives the Thunderbolt a continual free CDMA 1x connection for voice, SMS, and slow data, and the MDM9600 does all the 3G EVDO and 4G LTE data heavy lifting. What this boils down to is real SVDO (Simultaneous Voice Data Optimized) and SVLTE (Simultaneous Voice and Long Term Evolution data).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok so the Note 3 is NOT dual like Thunderbolt???..... WTH still not going back

I think that since Verizon (as well as all of the other major wireless providers) have been beefing up their 4G networks so much, they have concentrated less on providing phones that can give you simultaneous voice and data over 3G, since there is a constantly increasing chance that you will always have decent 4G coverage (and so you can have simultaneous voice and data, with the voice on CDMA and the data on 4G LTE).

Here's a thread that discusses the issue: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...e-3-model-have-voice-data-simultaneously.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I feel your pain. Although I rarely need simultaneous voice and data, it always annoys me that 4G coverage isn't strong and seamless where I live--and I'm in the heart of the freakin' Silicon Valley, just a few miles away from Google and​ Apple!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if any of Verizon's current phones allow simultaneous voice and data on 3G, but if you just got your Note 3, you could talk to Verizon and see if they have any other devices that either do that, or have better 4G reception (since not all LTE antennae and radios are created equal). Then ask to exchange your Note 3.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you really can't do much here. CDMA (Verizon / Sprint) can't handle voice and data at the same time unless there are dual sets like some phones did.

I'd assume Verizon probably didn't want Samsung to dual it up since they brag about having 4g LTE everywhere.. So they figured most will be on LTE so voice and data will work together.

GSM carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile) are the only ones that can have a singal radio for voice and data on 3g (or 4g HSPA as they call it).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the last major phone to support svdo (simultaneous voice and data over 3g) was the s3.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Deaj

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile users should have simultaneous voice & data. I am on T-Mobile"s network and I can access the Internet during a call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci