Jaybird Bluetooth Headphones with Note 3

sprungson

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to let folks know that have the Jaybird headphones, that they work better on the Note 3 than on the iPhone. Its probably goes twice the distance as the iPhone. If it wasn't for my 60 day juice fast, i'd be at the gym testing out leaving my phone in the gym locker while upstairs on the treadmill.

I'm totally loving the fact that i can walk to the other side of the cubes with just my headphones and they still work. Only thing that bothers me is that you don't see the battery icon on the top of your phone like you did on the iPhone.

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a Pattern or PIN lock enabled on your Note 3? If so, will the Jaybird's bypass the lock to make phone calls?

Just wanted to let folks know that have the Jaybird headphones, that they work better on the Note 3 than on the iPhone. Its probably goes twice the distance as the iPhone. If it wasn't for my 60 day juice fast, i'd be at the gym testing out leaving my phone in the gym locker while upstairs on the treadmill.

I'm totally loving the fact that i can walk to the other side of the cubes with just my headphones and they still work. Only thing that bothers me is that you don't see the battery icon on the top of your phone like you did on the iPhone.

Botti

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

Are you sure? Try daydreaming keyword in the Play. There are couple fake daydreaming programs, which have quite set of activaton rules. Dunno if any of those activate from BT headphones tho (if that is what iPhone does), but it doesn't hurt looking.

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Why wouldn't it? All other BT devices can, after they are paired and assigned to the phone feature.

The Motorola bluetooth headphone set that I have won't. If the phone is locked and I try to initiate a call, I'll hear a beep, but the phone will not respond. Once I manually unlock the phone, then Svoice will activate. The phone will auto connect to the Bluetooth in my car; I can make calls without unlocking the phone. But, my current set of bluetooth headphones are a no-go.

Botti

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
The Motorola bluetooth headphone set that I have won't. If the phone is locked and I try to initiate a call, I'll hear a beep, but the phone will not respond. Once I manually unlock the phone, then Svoice will activate. The phone will auto connect to the Bluetooth in my car; I can make calls without unlocking the phone. But, my current set of bluetooth headphones are a no-go.

Okay, but it is a headphone issue then because in the phone call settings there is a BT-setting, which lets you either ignore or follow the pin code.

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Yep. I've been eyeing the Jaybirds, but wanted to know, before I purchase them, if they'd put me in the same situation as the Motos.

Okay, but it is a headphone issue then because in the phone call settings there is a BT-setting, which lets you either ignore or follow the pin code.

Botti

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Yep. I've been eyeing the Jaybirds, but wanted to know, before I purchase them, if they'd put me in the same situation as the Motos.

Have you enabled S Voice as administrator in the security settings? That one is required in order to bypass the pin code. Also, I think the Hi galaxy might be needed too.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

I have the jaybirds bluebuds x and I'll test them here shortly (about to go workout). One thing I will tell you right off the bat, I purchased my bluebud X earphones in April, a few months ago I noticed that the earbud portion was separating from itself at the seam. I contacted Jaybird and they told me that they don't cover the earbuds even though it had only been 3 months. So while they're a good pair of earphones, their customer service is a little lacking.

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
@ Botti. Went into security settings and enabled Svoice as the administrator. The "Hi Galaxy" functionality was already enabled. Still a no-go. Thanks for the suggestion though; it was worth a shot.

Posted via Android Central App

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the jaybirds bluebuds x and I'll test them here shortly (about to go workout). One thing I will tell you right off the bat, I purchased my bluebud X earphones in April, a few months ago I noticed that the earbud portion was separating from itself at the seam. I contacted Jaybird and they told me that they don't cover the earbuds even though it had only been 3 months. So while they're a good pair of earphones, their customer service is a little lacking.

I'll be on the lookout for your response. Disappointed to hear that such a high-priced pair of headphones has potential quality control issues.

kool_zero

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Which pair of JayBirds do you have? If you had to guess, how far away can you be from the phone? I am looking to get a new pair for the gym but obviously don't want to carry my Note 3 along with me haha.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I'll be on the lookout for your response. Disappointed to hear that such a high-priced pair of headphones has potential quality control issues.

I workout at home, and I have 1 bedroom that I converted to a workout room. I walked to my kitchen, which is on the other side of the house (about 30-40 feet away) and started to hear the same static that I'd hear with my HTC Rezound. Maybe the OP is just realizing the amazement of coming from an iPhone to an Android device :p

I went ahead and ordered a set of these cushions, even though it is a little annoying to have to pay extra because a company won't back their product completely.
Tsx-500 - Comply

Which pair of JayBirds do you have? If you had to guess, how far away can you be from the phone? I am looking to get a new pair for the gym but obviously don't want to carry my Note 3 along with me haha.

I have the pair below. I can understand not having to take the note around at the gym. When I had my iPhone I had an armband, but had a hard time trying to get it to fit around my arm. It was a Nike unit, but I swear even though they claimed "one size fits all", I think they designed it for women to wrap around the smallest part of their arm. I did find an armband for a Galaxy Note on Amazon.com for less than $13.00. Amazon.com: ARKON ARMBAND5 Sports Armband for Samsung Galaxy Note and other 5" smartphones - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories (If it's against the site rules to post products, please forgive my noobletness).

372907920_640.jpg

sprungson

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the blue bud X. i'd say 30-35 yards on the same floor (i haven't tested a different floor), where my iPhone 5 only gave me about maybe 15 yards? Actually, it would start getting choppy at 10 yards.

Maybe i'll test the floor thing now. brb

sprungson

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Nope. does not work on second floor. I tried walking to the stairs, about 10 yards away, and when i reached the second floor, it didn't work. Sucks because my gym is on the second floor and the locker room is on the first.

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I workout at home, and I have 1 bedroom that I converted to a workout room. I walked to my kitchen, which is on the other side of the house (about 30-40 feet away) and started to hear the same static that I'd hear with my HTC Rezound. Maybe the OP is just realizing the amazement of coming from an iPhone to an Android device :p

I went ahead and ordered a set of these cushions, even though it is a little annoying to have to pay extra because a company won't back their product completely.
Tsx-500 - Comply

I have the pair below. I can understand not having to take the note around at the gym. When I had my iPhone I had an armband, but had a hard time trying to get it to fit around my arm. It was a Nike unit, but I swear even though they claimed "one size fits all", I think they designed it for women to wrap around the smallest part of their arm. I did find an armband for a Galaxy Note on Amazon.com for less than $13.00. Amazon.com: ARKON ARMBAND5 Sports Armband for Samsung Galaxy Note and other 5" smartphones - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories (If it's against the site rules to post products, please forgive my noobletness).

View attachment 86855

Did you get to test whether the Jaybirds allow you to initiate actions via bluetooth when the Note 3 is locked by a pattern or PIN?

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Did you get to test whether the Jaybirds allow you to initiate actions via bluetooth when the Note 3 is locked by a pattern or PIN?

I'll try that test the next time I get a chance. I typically don't have my phone locked so I didn't test it, but I could use my bluetooth to initiate MP3 functions after the phone went to sleep.

Botti

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
@ Botti. Went into security settings and enabled Svoice as the administrator. The "Hi Galaxy" functionality was already enabled. Still a no-go. Thanks for the suggestion though; it was worth a shot.

Okay, it seems to be little bit buggy or illogical thing. Basically that administrator thing allows the Hi Galaxy (wake-up option) to work at all on a pin-coded phone, with or more likely without any headphones. However, what I'm experiencing is that sometimes it shows s-voice, sometimes it just listens in the background and sometimes it doesn't work at all. And when it does work, then it might take the commands from headphones or it might take them only from the phone's own microphone (which might not matter if it is close by). But once it starts and shows the screen, it will use the headphones. And in order to make the call, you also have to enable the pin-code bypass from the phone call accessory settings, or else it might ask that pin code after you give the call command (but I haven't tested toggling that to the non-bypass mode).

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
One thing I noticed on my Rezound, if I opened up another application while listening to my MP3s, if I try to use the Bluetooth controls, the application that I last launched will interfere with the controls. Thus, try disabling all non-essential apps running in the background prior to launching your MP3 player to see if that helps.

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Okay, it seems to be little bit buggy or illogical thing. Basically that administrator thing allows the Hi Galaxy (wake-up option) to work at all on a pin-coded phone, with or more likely without any headphones. However, what I'm experiencing is that sometimes it shows s-voice, sometimes it just listens in the background and sometimes it doesn't work at all. And when it does work, then it might take the commands from headphones or it might take them only from the phone's own microphone (which might not matter if it is close by). But once it starts and shows the screen, it will use the headphones. And in order to make the call, you also have to enable the pin-code bypass from the phone call accessory settings, or else it might ask that pin code after you give the call command (but I haven't tested toggling that to the non-bypass mode).

It must be that these Moto headphones don't agree with Samsung phones. As even in call settings, I already had the phone set to allow blue tooth calls even when the device is locked.

I could make calls just fine when I had a Motorola Photon, but lost this ability when I picked up the Galaxy S3 and now the Note 3. I hoped Samsung had edited the functionality in a way that would allow hands free usage from all blue tooth headphones, but, after this discussion, it seems that I may just need another set of headphones, but I just don't know which ones. Don't wanna "buy and take back" and "buy and take back" again. There's gotta be a set that will work properly with this phone. I was hoping the jaybirds would be that set as I have heard great things about that brand and wouldn't mind picking up a pair.