Cell Standby

Drerunsit

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so I've noticed recently that on my battery usage statistics, Cell Standby has been very high. As a matter of fact, it shows "Time On" as the exact same time as the phone has been on battery, and the "Time Without Signal" is 0%. Is this supposed to be happening, particularly if I'm always on WiFi at home? I still get good battery life, but something tells me it would be even better if the Cell Standby time was lower.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Cell standby just means the cellular radio is turned on, but not in use. So if you're on WiFi for data, and not making any calls or texts, you phone will spend most of it's time in cell standby. Remember that the phone radio has to be on all the time, even if you're on WiFi, otherwise you'd never receive a call.

And remember that the sum of all battery usage stats must add up to 100%. So if you're not using your phone very actively, the percentage for things like cell standby and Android System will go up, not because they're using more battery, but because other processes and apps are using less.

We can't really get any more specific than that unless you post your battery life screens for us to look at.

Zogundar

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Remember that the phone radio has to be on all the time, even if you're on WiFi, otherwise you'd never receive a call.

Even if you're making calls over Wi-Fi?

I've found this to be my second biggest battery drain after the screen, and I've been looking for ways to disable it, but it sounds like you can't without a complicated procedure that starts with rooting.

I did find a thread that talked about someone's Cell Standby draining their battery because it was searching for a stronger signal, and by switching it over to GSM/2G they were able to lower the drain. I haven't figured out how or if I can make that solution work for me though. I think I'm in a [non-LTE]4G area, but it looks like the settings allow "WCDMA only" or "GSM only," with automatic settings for LTE/WCDMA/GSM or WCDMA/GSM. Unless I'm mistaken, LTE!=4G, and WCDMA is 3G, so I'm not sure where that leaves me. Of course if all of this only applies to data and not regular phone signal it might be moot unless the phone wastes battery trying to find a better data signal even with mobile data turned off.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Even if you're making calls over Wi-Fi?

I've found this to be my second biggest battery drain after the screen, and I've been looking for ways to disable it, but it sounds like you can't without a complicated procedure that starts with rooting.

I did find a thread that talked about someone's Cell Standby draining their battery because it was searching for a stronger signal, and by switching it over to GSM/2G they were able to lower the drain. I haven't figured out how or if I can make that solution work for me though. I think I'm in a [non-LTE]4G area, but it looks like the settings allow "WCDMA only" or "GSM only," with automatic settings for LTE/WCDMA/GSM or WCDMA/GSM. Unless I'm mistaken, LTE!=4G, and WCDMA is 3G, so I'm not sure where that leaves me. Of course if all of this only applies to data and not regular phone signal it might be moot unless the phone wastes battery trying to find a better data signal even with mobile data turned off.

The only way you're making calls over wifi is either being on T-Mobile and using WiFi calling... Or using something like Google voice or Skype (a VoIP program)...

He means you're in cell standby for your normal cellular calls.. Even on wifi you are connected to the towers and that's why you have cell bars. Nly wifi calling from T-Mobile actually turns the cell radio off and uses the wifi exclusively.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Zogundar

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I am using the Wi-Fi calling option (Is that T-Mobile only? Regardless, I have that.) At almost any given time I have no bars and unless I turn off Wi-Fi/leave the area am at Time Without Signal 100%. So if the radio is turned off, why is it still using the battery?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well is it for you? If you go on mobile at all it will use power.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm not really familiar with T-Mobile's wifi calling, but if you have any bars, any time, then your cellular radio is on, and trying to stay in contact with the towers. See if turning Airplane mode on, and then turning WiFi back on, makes a difference. If you have no cellular standby in airplane mode, but do have it when airplane mode is off, that's your answer.

And if you have a very weak cellular signal, the phone uses much more power to try to stay in contact with the towers.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really familiar with T-Mobile's wifi calling, but if you have any bars, any time, then your cellular radio is on, and trying to stay in contact with the towers. See if turning Airplane mode on, and then turning WiFi back on, makes a difference. If you have no cellular standby in airplane mode, but do have it when airplane mode is off, that's your answer.

And if you have a very weak cellular signal, the phone uses much more power to try to stay in contact with the towers.

Well that's why I'm wondering if he was in cellular at all... Even a little.. Which could of caused it to show. WiFi calling turns the cell radio off (see attached screenshot) so if he really was on it 100% it theoretically shouldn't of used power. Except on initial boot even if the phone goes to wifi it will connect to cell tower... Then disconnect and use wifi instead.

Attachments

• 1382479494327.jpg
    1382479494327.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 6

Zogundar

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Well is it for you? If you go on mobile at all it will use power.

That's usually been the case (Not always because I've played around with it to see if there was less drain if I turned off Wi-Fi.)

The screenshot you attached is what my phone looks like - Wi-Fi phone symbol, 0 bars.

I did try Airplane mode once but only overnight since having that on disables Wi-Fi calling even if I turn Wi-Fi back on (At least my ability to make them, but presumably my ability to receive them.) Even if it makes a difference then I can hardly leave it on all the time. I don't think I could tell if it made a difference since it was overnight and thus not on a fresh charge where I might better be able to notice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol