Galaxy Gear or Sony Smartwatch 2

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Interested in a smartwatch but unsure what to go with. Anyone able to compare the two?

Posted via Android Central App

capcom303

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
was going to get the samsung gear if they would have offered a deal when I got the note 3 but now I'm going to be looking at googles watch they are about to release

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Used the gear for a week, after a few days it became less fun and I found i was using it less and less.

What I like about the Sony Smartwatch 2 is its always on for 5-7 days, waterproof , and works on any android it also supports alerts for many more apps like gmail and facebook and twitter and so on. And it is 100.00 less, however I am going to be waiting tell the 31 to see if google announces their smart watch before I pick between the sony or the google watch (if there is one)

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Interested in a smartwatch but unsure what to go with. Anyone able to compare the two?

Posted via Android Central App

Many other have offered insight into the advantages of the Sony smartwatch, and since I don't own one I cannot speak to its value. However, as an owner of the Galaxy Gear I tell you that in my experience it is the ultimate companion to the GN3.

Having the ability to read email, read and respond to text, make and receive phone calls, take pictures, shoot video, record voice memo's, and keep you notified of upcoming appointments and the current weather without ever picking up your phone makes the GG a great value. I also like that it looks really nice and stylish with premium materials. The batter life is very good, and the touch display is clear, and responsive.

These are my thoughts about the GG. I have used mine for a week now and cannot imagine not having one. That being said, the only drawback I have with it is that right now its limited to only the GN3. I have many different phones, from several OEM's, and I used to switch out devices almost weekly. With GG I am tied to only using my GN3. But that's okay because GG has become such a value to me that not having it is not an option.

Spiderdog11

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Used the gear for a week, after a few days it became less fun and I found i was using it less and less.

What I like about the Sony Smartwatch 2 is its always on for 5-7 days, waterproof , and works on any android it also supports alerts for many more apps like gmail and facebook and twitter and so on. And it is 100.00 less, however I am going to be waiting tell the 31 to see if google announces their smart watch before I pick between the sony or the google watch (if there is one)

What was the Battery life ?
Say I started at 7am how long with medium to heavy use?

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
What was the Battery life ?
Say I started at 7am how long with medium to heavy use?

I am finding I can get a solid day on the GG with heavy use with about 33% battery left at the end of the day. Sometimes more. Once the initial "play" period is over, I think one can expect to get 2 days out of a charge.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
One thing that was very disappointing to me (and the reason I am sending it back) is that Sony's email app for the Smartwatch 2 (everything is handled through apps you download to the watch) does not work with the Note 3 or My LG G2. It says that they are unsupported devices. Go to the Play Store and look at the reviews for the app if that is important to you. It does not work with the GS4, the One or even the Xperia devices if the reviews are accurate. The Gmail app works as does the messaging app, but the lack of email was a deal breaker for me.

The gear is good, but I am not sure if I will keep it or not. It is pretty expensive for the functions I will use (email, messaging, etc.). Gmail does not work right and I do not see myself making phone calls using it or using it as a camera very often.

Last edited:

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I have the gear and I have gone an entire day with it using less than 10% battery life. On a heavy use day with lots of on screen time it still manages to pull through just fine. For me having to put it on the charger every night is just as routine as plugging my phone in. I use the gear as my wake up alarm as well. Quite the useful device.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MaTtKs1

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
One thing that was very disappointing to me (and the reason I am sending it back) is that Sony's email app for the Smartwatch 2 (everything is handled through apps you download to the watch) does not work with the Note 3 or My LG G2. It says that they are unsupported devices. Go to the Play Store and look at the reviews for the app if that is important to you. It does not work with the GS4, the One or even the Xperia devices if the reviews are accurate. The Gmail app works as does the messaging app, but the lack of email was a deal breaker for me.

The gear is good, but I am not sure if I will keep it or not. It is pretty expensive for the functions I will use (email, messaging, etc.). Gmail does not work right and I do not see myself making phone calls using it or using it as a camera very often.

I use the Samsung stock email app for Gmail which allows me to read Gmail emails on my Gear.