Anyone know how can I remove the Flipboard "System App" please?

deubanks12

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
We cannot get the Flipboard from popping up on our 9 year olds Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. Very inappropriate things!!! Please advise. I want it removed. Also, any suggestions on any kid (safe web-browsing - app blocker) protection app? Thank you!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
We cannot get the Flipboard from popping up on our 9 year olds Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. Very inappropriate things!!! Please advise. I want it removed. Also, any suggestions on any kid (safe web-browsing - app blocker) protection app? Thank you!!

Welcome to Android Central! As recommended earlier in this thread, you can Disable system apps by going to the App Manager (or Settings>Apps>All), selecting Flipboard, and tapping Disable. If you don't see the Disable button, then you probably have to Uninstall All Updates first, after which the Disable button will appear. Disabling doesn't remove the app from the device (since it's preinstalled bloatware), but it will prevent the app from opening.

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
As recommended earlier in this thread, you can Disable system apps by going to the App Manager (or Settings>Apps>All), selecting Flipboard, and tapping Disable. If you don't see the Disable button, then you probably have to Uninstall All Updates first, after which the Disable button will appear.
As already mentioned earlier in this thread, that still doesn't allow one to disable Flipboard. There is a "Turn off" button but it's grayed out and pushing it does nothing. Even pressing "Force stop" doesn't enable one to disable Flipboard. It seems like rooting is the only way to truly get the job done.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As already mentioned earlier in this thread, that still doesn't allow one to disable Flipboard. There is a "Turn off" button but it's grayed out and pushing it does nothing. Even pressing "Force stop" doesn't enable one to disable Flipboard. It seems like rooting is the only way to truly get the job done.

Perhaps I'm missing what you're referring to, but I don't see anything earlier in the thread that discusses being unable to disable Flipboard--only being unable to uninstall it. In the Settings>Apps menu of stock Android, if you select a preinstalled app, I'm not aware of a "Turn off" button. It's either Uninstall, Uninstall All Updates, or Disable. It's true that certain system apps and bloatware won't allow the user to Disable them (Verizon's Backup Assistant Plus comes to mind), but it seems quite odd to me that Flipboard cannot be Disabled. Of course, I don't have a Note 3 myself, so I can't say for sure.

DrSavant

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps I'm missing what you're referring to, but I don't see anything earlier in the thread that discusses being unable to disable Flipboard--only being unable to uninstall it. In the Settings>Apps menu of stock Android, if you select a preinstalled app, I'm not aware of a "Turn off" button. It's either Uninstall, Uninstall All Updates, or Disable. It's true that certain system apps and bloatware won't allow the user to Disable them (Verizon's Backup Assistant Plus comes to mind), but it seems quite odd to me that Flipboard cannot be Disabled. Of course, I don't have a Note 3 myself, so I can't say for sure.

The fact that you don't have a Note 3, is the exact reason why you should not have posted the above. If you had one, you would have by now known, that Flipboard on the Note 3, works as a part of the "My Magazine" bloatware, pre installed by Samsung - it cannot be disabled, leading to an inability to disable Fliboard - only uninstall updates.

This has been discussed to death, both here and on xda.

Right now, the only way out, is to root and then either freeze the app, or install a rom, which does not contain My magazine and Flipboard.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm only trying to help. I don't frequent xda, since people there tend to be a little less pleasant than over here. Now that I know that issue, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for being so understanding.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The fact that you don't have a Note 3, is the exact reason why you should not have posted the above. If you had one, you would have by now known, that Flipboard on the Note 3, works as a part of the "My Magazine" bloatware, pre installed by Samsung - it cannot be disabled, leading to an inability to disable Fliboard - only uninstall updates.

Right now, the only way out, is to root and then either freeze the app, or install a rom, which does not contain My magazine and Flipboard.

In the app info screen, you should have Force Stop and Uninstall updates. Uninstall updates may need to be done before disabling the app.

DrSavant

May 23, 2013
Visit site
@B.Diddy - nothing personal - it's just that AC, of recent, is full of suggestions in the vein of "I don't know, but it should" - if you are trying to help (same as I do, by the way), it is great and commendable, however please try to do it with facts.

@Golfdriver - have you personally tried it? Flipboard is an app, which you install, on most phones. On the Note 3 it is preinstalled bloatware (which I, personally, use on daily basis). At the same time, I don't use "My magazine", but that one is a killer this combo cannot be disabled. I can post a screenshot.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I understand it's nothing personal, but in my function as Ambassador, I always try to help where I can, as well as encourage discussion. It's impossible for any one of us to have every device out there, so clearly we can't speak authoritatively about everything out there. But I think it's still useful to make suggestions based on what I know, because even if it isn't completely applicable to a particular device, it might help steer a person in the right direction. I certainly hope I didn't come across as smug or demeaning--that's always the furthest from my intent. Anyway, as I said, this is something new I've learned, so I will definitely keep it in mind in the future.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
@B.Diddy - nothing personal - it's just that AC, of recent, is full of suggestions in the vein of "I don't know, but it should" - if you are trying to help (same as I do, by the way), it is great and commendable, however please try to do it with facts.

@Golfdriver - have you personally tried it? Flipboard is an app, which you install, on most phones. On the Note 3 it is preinstalled bloatware (which I, personally, use on daily basis). At the same time, I don't use "My magazine", but that one is a killer this combo cannot be disabled. I can post a screenshot.

I was under the impression that there was an update that would allow to disable the app.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

While you're correct that the Note 3 doesnt allow for one to disable Flipboard its still nice that he tried. Android varies so much from device to device that if we were afraid to offer suggestions because we don't own the device than many people wouldn't find a solution. Android isn't iOS and as such sometimes we all need to take a shot in the dark and hope we're correct.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It appears all ill feelings have been put to rest but I do want to add its the role of our Android Central Ambassadors to engage and help out in whatever means possible. They research and make the best educated suggestions they can.

Many times if it wasn't for them taking a shot at answering a thread it would go unanswered and then a member is left without an answer, in that respect we have failed.

So we applaud their efforts and at the end of the day its all done on a volunteer basis and they ask for nothing in return except for the occasional " thanks or like ".

Paul
Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.

sam kim2

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Once you uncheck the option, "Open using the home key" I found My Magazine to be unobtrusive. (I can't believe that was the default setting, it was constantly popping up unintended the first couple weeks.) I've gotten past the frustration over uninstallable bloatware. I hope one day Samsung allows me to keep S finder from starting when I push the menu button. Never once used it. When I give my phone to my kids for games even for a minute, sure enough they manage to get S finder running.

Pete560217

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I have read all of the preceeding thread and would firstly like thank those genuinely trying to help, I too am dismayed by those expressing opinions as to "how it should work" with no practical efforts to further any assistance. So thanks again peeps. None of the above applies to me simply because I "uninstalled updates" and then "uninstalled" flipboard on my Note1 as it was persistently a pain updating everyday, ah had I but read this thread first. My problem is that I have no app to DISABLE but the xxxxxxxx thing keeps trying to reinstall and failing, thereby utilising all my download bandwidth. So, I need to know PRETTY PLEASE :) how to kill FLIPBOARD or the constants attempts by the OS to reinstall it. And you thought this thread was dead :). Thanks in advance to those to try and help. Pete

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
If what you want is to stop Flipboard from working completely go into the settings....more...application manager and disable Flipboard. You can not uninstall it because is part of the bloatware but it can be disable.

It will restart itself on reboot!!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size does matter!"

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

CORRECT !!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size does matter!"

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You can disable the My Magazine application within the MyMagazine settings after you open it and agree to the terms. Then you uncheck the launch from home button option. Then go to application manager and force stop MyMagazine. The best thing to do after that short of rooting is to install a launcher like Nova Prime and you will not have anymore accidental launching of MyMagazine. Just a note about Flipboard. That is a separate application from MyMagazine and is really good and allows you to customize the content of what you want in your Flipboard, not the pre-determined stuff in MyMagazine.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza