10-20-2013 09:03 PM
54 123
tools
    Note 2 had "legendary" low light camera? Realy?

Posted via Android Central App
    Legendary. It would suck all the light up out of the room, splash it back inside your photo, smear that light all around in all the right places, and even add a bit of its own. Epic. Unworldly. Like the Mona Lisa. Like 70's KISS. I would dare say even like Vince Neil before he got fat.

sent from my Note 3
    Shanicenicolle likes this.
    10-19-2013 06:55 PM
    have you tried the stabalize feature? it takes pretty good low light pics. without flash.
    10-19-2013 08:57 PM
    have you tried the stabalize feature? it takes pretty good low light pics. without flash.
    Thanks. I believe the camera defaults to image stabilization in auto mode. You have to actually turn it off if, for some reason, you want your photos to come out even worse.

sent from my Note 3
    10-19-2013 09:30 PM
    Note 3.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    10-19-2013 09:39 PM
    note 2.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    10-19-2013 09:40 PM
    The N3's camera is f/2.2 while the N2's camera is f/2.6

Spec-wise, the N3 has the brighter lens and should take better low light pictures.
    Johnly likes this.
    10-19-2013 09:41 PM
    Others manage to form their own.

But indeed I am a vampire so I need a good low light camera.

sent from my Note 3
    And some, like the OP, manage to share lame opinions. Legendary low light camera on the Note 2 now? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
    ZarathustraHead likes this.
    10-19-2013 09:41 PM
    I really don't think there is enough to nitpick or decide one is legendary and the other sucks. They are both cellphone cameras. Note 2 lets in more light and the note 3 lets in more detail. Pick your poison, but I think the note 3 actually looks better because of the details it picks up where the note 2 can't.

10-19-2013 09:43 PM
    Note 2 lets in more light and the note 3 lets in more detail. Pick your poison, but I think the note 3 actually looks better because of the details it picks up where the note 2 can't.

No way a f/2.6 lens lets in more light than a f/2.2 lens
    Johnly likes this.
    10-19-2013 09:48 PM
    No way a f/2.6 lens lets in more light than a f/2.2 lens
    Software can rule that though right?

10-19-2013 09:54 PM
    Seems like I can see the outline of those chairs in the note 2 pic more but the details of the tank are more garbled than the note 3 pic. All I know is the low light pics on the note 3 seem better.

10-19-2013 09:57 PM
    Seems like I can see the outline of those chairs in the note 2 pic more but the details of the tank are more garbled than the note 3 pic. All I know is the low light pics on the note 3 seem better.

Yes. Those low light pics ~of light~ are a classic demonstration. Thanks for the chuckle.

sent from my Note 3
    10-19-2013 10:03 PM
    The laughs all mine ha ha

10-19-2013 10:03 PM
    Yes. Those low light pics ~of light~ are a classic demonstration. Thanks for the chuckle.

sent from my Note 3
    They both look like crap, so the argument which one looks less like crap?? Interesting thread. Just got my 3, the note 3 picture is less filling less crap to me.
    10-19-2013 11:22 PM
    I just took these in a dim room. I tapped both to focus on the stool.

Note 3 on auto with image stabilization on.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...019_210658.jpg

Legendary Note 2 with low light setting.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...210712_LLS.jpg

sent from my Note 3
    10-19-2013 11:28 PM
    ScottGeek likes this.
    10-19-2013 11:39 PM
    Thanks. I believe the camera defaults to image stabilization in auto mode. You have to actually turn it off if, for some reason, you want your photos to come out even worse.

sent from my Note 3
    10-19-2013 11:51 PM
    I think it can be determined that the N3's camera under exposes dark pictures. The image is there..... but the camera's processing software (especially in auto mode) can give less than satisfactory results.

I took ZarathustraHead's pitch black photo taken with the N3:

... and brought it into Lightroom and adjusted the exposure settings:

The image is there... its just under exposed by the camera's software.

But big deal... its still not a "great" capture. Expecting a f/2.2 or f/2.6 lens to be a good low light performer in very dark situations while being hand held is folly IMO.

If you have a reasonable expectations combined with typical low light situations, the N3 can take good low light pictures. I took this picture in a low lit restaurant with the N3. I like the results:

Johnly likes this.
    10-20-2013 07:21 AM
    Underexposed isn't so bad when it keeps the color real. Even though the image on the note 2 seems more outlined, it color is not as good as the color captured on the note 3. I actually think the note 3 did a better job that way.

10-20-2013 07:48 AM
    I've read this thread, and all I can do was still come to the conclusion that:

1) The Note 3 is the best Android phone right now.

2) Misery loves company...with all due respect to the OP, the arguments presented in why the Note 2 is better than the Note 3 was laughable. Don't get me wrong, I like the Note 2 and I would have kept mine, but the Note 3 is light years better than the Note 2. The picture quality is great (for me, anyway...low light....lmao! I bought a phone, not a DSLR!)

I am sorry OP, but I am extremely happy with my Note 3. Best phone I ever bought. I understand we have to be discerning in our purchases, but sometimes it just becomes sad when we discern over trivial items...
    ZarathustraHead likes this.
    10-20-2013 08:14 AM
    It's interesting this back and forth about cameras in phones... personally I can certainly understand the perspectives about having a top notch low light camera at hand (via a device whose primary purpose is not to be a full replacement for my 18 MP DSLR ) One can only hope that the stock camera software will improve for GN3- after all we all do understand that Android does improve over time, yes? This is even true for the non-stock iterations of the OS like the ones Samsung creates.

A true story.... I had someone lean over to look at pictures I was scrolling through on my phone, and they commented on... oh my those are excellent low light photos... did you take those with that phone? And what phone is that? Sadly I had to deflate their hopes... those photos were taken using a real camera that has not only better optics but also has much faster shutter speeds and better control over the light. After all that's why I have real camera... for those moments Now I do understand the desire not to have drag my real camera around... indeed yes, as shutter bug myself, I most certainly would like a better performing phone cam... but maybe it's just me, My GN2 and GN3 are wonderful devices for other reasons... and having a mostly capable camera on board, is a plus .

I would think that if the Cam is a major choosing factor for a phone purchase, then I would strongly look at the Nokia Windows phone with 41 MP... I've seen what that phone can do in low light...and it competes with my 18 MP DSLR... Indeed yes.

~ScottGeek
    10-20-2013 09:22 AM
    I have note2,me632,iphone4 and BB9930, often read books with note2,play games with iphone4 and take out BB9930 if I want to write something,they are enough for mand I do not have any interesting to upgrade my note2 to note3.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-20-2013 09:34 AM
    I agree with what you have said. The Nokia seems to have quite sluggish shot to shot times though (going solely by what I have read)

Now I do understand the desire not to have drag my real camera around... indeed yes, as shutter bug myself, I most I
    would think that if the Cam is a major choosing factor for a phone purchase, then I would strongly look at the Nokia Windows phone with 41 MP... I've seen what that phone can do in low light...and it competes with my 18 MP DSLR... Indeed yes.

~ScottGeek
    10-20-2013 12:28 PM
    It's interesting this back and forth about cameras in phones... personally I can certainly understand the perspectives about having a top notch low light camera at hand (via a device whose primary purpose is not to be a full replacement for my 18 MP DSLR ) One can only hope that the stock camera software will improve for GN3- after all we all do understand that Android does improve over time, yes? This is even true for the non-stock iterations of the OS like the ones Samsung creates.

A true story.... I had someone lean over to look at pictures I was scrolling through on my phone, and they commented on... oh my those are excellent low light photos... did you take those with that phone? And what phone is that? Sadly I had to deflate their hopes... those photos were taken using a real camera that has not only better optics but also has much faster shutter speeds and better control over the light. After all that's why I have real camera... for those moments Now I do understand the desire not to have drag my real camera around... indeed yes, as shutter bug myself, I most certainly would like a better performing phone cam... but maybe it's just me, My GN2 and GN3 are wonderful devices for other reasons... and having a mostly capable camera on board, is a plus .

I would think that if the Cam is a major choosing factor for a phone purchase, then I would strongly look at the Nokia Windows phone with 41 MP... I've seen what that phone can do in low light...and it competes with my 18 MP DSLR... Indeed yes.

~ScottGeek
    thank you. If people want such great pics then buy a real camera. I use my note to take pictures but also have an actual camera.

Sent from my beast,The Note 3 SM-N9005.
    10-20-2013 02:56 PM
    Note 2 had "legendary" low light camera? Realy?

Posted via Android Central App
    If only we can get a Nokia Device with Android on it. Then it would have "legendary" low light pics. This is one reason why I haven't left Windows Phone yet is because of the camera. How is the low-light of the Note 3 verses a Lumia 920 or iphone 5s (with flash off)
    10-20-2013 03:10 PM
54 123