SMS converted to MMS

jjmacosta

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
how do u disable this..

when writing a text message and add emoticons like which is included in the keyboard option it convert my text message to MMS..

thanks

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It has to. If you disable it your message may not be delivered or the emotes won't be there.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Amir Joseph

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
"anyone experiencing this kind of issue?" YES! I had chomp installed on my phone before I discovered that my s4 had emojis built into the keyboard. I hate 3rd party apps since they open slower, and seem to slow down my phone. There is no way to stop emojis from converting to mms. I hate this feature and hope that there will be an update to fix this. Since mms seem to take longer to send and receive, it looks like ill be going back to chomp :/

mspace81

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Using the built-in emojis will send as mms. There's nothing you can do to fix it, because that's the way it works right now. If you prefer not to have it sent as mms, then I'd recommend using a 3rd party sms messenger.

Posted via Android Central App

Mick Forcelledo

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
NONE of these apps stop the conversion NONE ...... So lets stop sending false info and wasting a users time.
It is STUPIDITY to the maximum , that the phones do not do it with an option or that the 3rd party publishers DO offers SMS to MMS but not the other way around.
I have 3 android Devices .. SAMSUNG S3 & S4 and HTC ..... have installed all the texting wizards on all of them and the best they do is get totally confused, and nothing is sent. HANDcent support said it did , but when I asked HOW .. they never responded..
My STUPID solution is to write a long SMS in smaller parts and mark part 1, 2 etc.
How technology can shoot itself in the head is amazing.

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
NONE of these apps stop the conversion NONE ...... So lets stop sending false info and wasting a users time.
It is STUPIDITY to the maximum , that the phones do not do it with an option or that the 3rd party publishers DO offers SMS to MMS but not the other way around.
I have 3 android Devices .. SAMSUNG S3 & S4 and HTC ..... have installed all the texting wizards on all of them and the best they do is get totally confused, and nothing is sent. HANDcent support said it did , but when I asked HOW .. they never responded..
My STUPID solution is to write a long SMS in smaller parts and mark part 1, 2 etc.
How technology can shoot itself in the head is amazing.

The SMS is strictly limited to 160 ordinary characters & it is a worldwide standard across telephony. It makes use of the gaps between normal telephone signals, and that is why it is so cheap. An MMS is data in the real sense, and that's why you need mobile data on to use them. Emoticons and other such things are not ordinary characters, and that is why they are converted into MMS. The SMS itself is hailed to be one of the greatest inventions of the 20th Century.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The SMS is strictly limited to 160 ordinary characters & it is a worldwide standard across telephony. It makes use of the gaps between normal telephone signals, and that is why it is so cheap. An MMS is data in the real sense, and that's why you need mobile data on to use them. Emoticons and other such things are not ordinary characters, and that is why they are converted into MMS. The SMS itself is hailed to be one of the greatest inventions of the 20th Century.

+1.... People love to complain without first educating themselves on how a specific piece of technology works, things don't always work the way we think they should, but there is usually a reason why , why can't turkeys fly? They have wings. ....

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yep. Since my GS2 days and now Note 3 I always assume its a network limiting feature.

I have sent long messages that I did not realise were converted into mms, though it does come up on the screen.

My old Sony Ericsson used to send long messages as two or three texts, which was fine.

Trouble is I found most recipients (my clients) won't open an mms these days. They are for kids, or sometimes spam.

MMS are not opened.

I just break up the texts, or send an email.

I tried other apps.

If there is a solution, great.

I don't use emoticons though, or very rarely.

Posted via Android Central App on Note 3

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I guess it is an issue with people who do not have unlimited MMS, but you can't blame the technology, you just have to work around it, break up your long messages, don't use emoticons, if your car doesn't have A/C, you roll the Window down. ..

francey

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Wait why break them up. Phones these days link up texts over 160 characters anyway don't they? They may send as numerous sms but the phone stitches them back together and they arrive almost instantly. Or that is what appears to happen with me.

Are emoji not normally sent as numerous made up symbols such as : ) and then a picture :)) ) is depicted by the phone. At least this is how I assume they used to work.
I belive that converting to an MMS is to alleviate the carriers as many people's allowances on their contract charge separate for mms (not included in sms allowance)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Wait why break them up. Phones these days link up texts over 160 characters anyway don't they? They may send as numerous sms but the phone stitches them back together and they arrive almost instantly. Or that is what appears to happen with me.

Are emoji not normally sent as numerous made up symbols such as : ) and then a picture :)) ) is depicted by the phone. At least this is how I assume they used to work.
I belive that converting to an MMS is to alleviate the carriers as many people's allowances on their contract charge separate for mms (not included in sms allowance)

It has nothing to do with carriers per se, every sms is limited to 160 characters as a worldwide standard. As I mentioned earlier, an MMS is a different type of message altogether (it's essentially an email) & that's why mobile data is involved.
Rather than waste time going through the science, I suggest you head over to Wikipedia & look up the humble SMS - you will then see how they came about & learn their limitations, it might also change your messaging habits!

francey

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok I read it and it states under technical details >message size. What I was trying to explain. That long sms can be sent. The data centre stores multiple sms if sent together and stitches them together so they are received as one long message, therfore no need to limit worry about length when sending an sms.

My main query was wether or not emoji could just be sent through sms' as a mixture of symbols/punctuation. (Just like when I type : and ) together this happens :) .....) With the the mixture of symbols/punctuation then being replaced with the corresponding emoji icon by the phone.

Dont know if I am explaining my train of thought accurately.

I understand what an MMS is I just don't belive that emoji would have to be sent this way.

Also wondering how apple send emoji when not using Imessage? I don't believe they convert to mms when sending through the network. Ie Are just sent as part of an sms.

csquinonesph

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Just noticed this behavior on my Note 3. Found this "fix":

Go to Messages > Settings > SMS/MMS

On Text Message (SMS) settings, select Input mode > GSM alphabet

Enjoy! ;D

nick99erirl

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
sorry i'm so late to this party but i've recently noticed this as well. The issue is what you are trying to send. Emoticon (emoji etc) are not standard charachters but actually images hence the data requirement. What you can send are "smileys" which is the :) or :( type icons which are detected by the receiving phone and converted to the smiley face etc.
What is different is that smiley's used to be the default icons but now it is emoji and people (myself included) assumed they would work the same.

To add a smiley while composing a text and keyboard is open simply :
press MENU (bottom left capacative)
select INSERT SMILEY.
Enjoy

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18