Long Term Phone.....ya think?

sal the wop

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Had an S3 for 13 months, and that was the longest I've owned a phone. Usually changing every 6 months, but the S3 was still a beast, so I kept it longer.

I know it's early and I know they'll be other phones out soon, and greater enhancements. But I truly see my Note 3 being a long term phone. This phone phone has everything. ..... Dare I say, I may keep it as a 2 year phone.....anyone else??????

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Had an S3 for 13 months, and that was the longest I've owned a phone. Usually changing every 6 months, but the S3 was still a beast, so I kept it longer.

I know it's early and I know they'll be other phones out soon, and greater enhancements. But I truly see my Note 3 being a long term phone. This phone phone has everything. ..... Dare I say, I may keep it as a 2 year phone.....anyone else??????

I am inclined to agree. Samsung seems to be placing better attention to the flagship devices, as in equipping with hardware that won't get outdated in 6 months, etc.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The Note 2 nearly made it a year before seeing a refresh, and even then, it's still a very capable phone. Even the S3 is still a very good phone for today's standards... So yeah, if you really take care of it, you could use this one for two years.

And Samsung's not forgetting about their devices, either. Just today I saw a post that the international GSII is getting an update.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I plan to keep my Note 3 for at least a year. I can't remember the last time I kept a phone longer than 3 months. Now that I am enrolled in the T-Mobile plan that allows me to upgrade every 6 months, I think I will just get the new Note every year. The Note series is the most compelling to me. I was very upset with myself when I got rid of my Note 2 to switch to the iPhone 5. If I could go back, I wouldn't have done that. I have become very reliant on the S-pen and a lot of the Samsung services. Other than the Note 4 there won't be another device that will offer a similar experience.

Sent from the baddest device on the planet, my Galaxy Note 3.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Do you outright pay for the phone, or do you snatch a family member's upgrade and give them your hand-me downs? I've thought about doing that very thing with my relatives, but it seems a little selfish to give them my hand me downs.

That being said, I'm used to hanging onto a phone for at least the 18 months that they build out the contract for (As you can see by my last phone, a Rezound). Hardware wise, the Note 3 should be a sufficient piece of hardware for at least 9 months to a year, as most phones go. What typically drives consumers is the next advancement in cell phone technology. I'm willing to bet that my old Touch Pro 2 is still adequate enough, but there's no way I'd find that old phone functional.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you outright pay for the phone, or do you snatch a family member's upgrade and give them your hand-me downs? I've thought about doing that very thing with my relatives, but it seems a little selfish to give them my hand me downs.

That being said, I'm used to hanging onto a phone for at least the 18 months that they build out the contract for (As you can see by my last phone, a Rezound). Hardware wise, the Note 3 should be a sufficient piece of hardware for at least 9 months to a year, as most phones go. What typically drives consumers is the next advancement in cell phone technology. I'm willing to bet that my old Touch Pro 2 is still adequate enough, but there's no way I'd find that old phone functional.

I buy mine outright but if I could snatch an upgrade I would. Some relatives don't need or will use the latest and greatest :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

sal the wop

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

I have basic lines which I usually upgrade on.

I agree with you. I just think the advancement of technology has slowed down a bit. Not quite that big "jump" anymore.

For example, some people that have the Note 2 didn't make the jump to Note 3 because of similarities in devices.

For me, it makes it easier to keep a device longer..... Imo

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

I would say that the average consumer has more tech than he or she needs. There are a lot of things that my Note 3 can do that I haven't figured out how to integrate into my lifestyle or use altogether, And I'm kinda techy. I bought my father the SG 3 a few months ago and he is drowning in all of the features. He doesn't even know he is a whole generation behind. It may take him the length of the contract to figure everything out.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
This should be a fun thread to look at in about another 10 months ;-)

If could be interesting. Personally, I need to stick with one device for at least the next year because its getting embarrassing for me. I believe I'm on phone 31 in the last 6 years. People close to me are starting to think I have a problem and it is becoming increasingly difficult to defend myself.

The SPCS Guy

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Oh yeah, NO DOUBT! Definitely long term. Since getting my Note 2, I don't think there is any other phone that will compete. No one in their right mind goes from the Note series to an iPhone, so something must have been going on there...lol.
As far as my new baby, the Note 3....it would be unimaginable that there would be another phone, besides the Note 4 that would replace it! :p

dextorboot

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I tend to keep my phones for the duration of the upgrade period. I just upgraded to the Note3 from the SGII I got a month or two after launch on Sprint. It was definitely long in the tooth. Last year I was already ready to get rid of it. I bought some spare batteries and it breathed new life into it. My upgrade was due in April. I waited for the S4 and that was a disappointment so I waited switched to waiting for either the LG G2 or the Note3. Note3 won out for the removable battery and optional SD card. So long as updates don't ruin it, it will probably last past my 2 year upgrade date and then I can wait around for a new phone that strikes me.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I buy mine outright but if I could snatch an upgrade I would. Some relatives don't need or will use the latest and greatest :).

lol, I've tried to use that justification but I can't do it. For mother's day last year, I bought my mother the Galaxy S3 while I was still sporting the HTC Rezound. Every time my mother would ask me about a certain function on the phone, I couldn't help but think to myself, "She doesn't need this much phone!" Fortunately though, she's mentioned on more than one occasion how much she loves the phone and I'd say that in itself is enough to make me not want to steal their upgrades (granted it wouldn't be stealing since I'd actually ask them if I could have it, and that's actually my sister's MO). Would she have been happy with the Rezound? Probably, would she have probably started to hate it around this time (It started acting buggy on me of late)? Most definitely.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
If could be interesting. Personally, I need to stick with one device for at least the next year because its getting embarrassing for me. I believe I'm on phone 31 in the last 6 years. People close to me are starting to think I have a problem and it is becoming increasingly difficult to defend myself.

Now I know who Verizon was targeting with this commercial.... :D

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I never can say for sure... I change phones often :).

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I want to keep mine for two years but I don't think I can. I had the HTC one before and kept that for only six months. This is truly one of the best phones I've owned.

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
4 year minimum for me, I don't see meaningful upgrade in next 4 years. lol
WOWZIES!! 4 years??!! OK, now that's a bit much haha The last phone that lasted that long in my family was one of those old blockias :p If you're in a post-paid plan, it really makes no sense keeping the same phone once your contract is up... if you keep the contract, they're still charging you for A phone, even if you don't ask for a new one...

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Big Red just extended the length of time you have to wait before being upgrade eligible. I'm counting on my Note 3 to run the length of my contract now.

I think you guys that change a lot are kind of crazy lol. I like keeping the same Device for awhile. I was on my Stratosphere for 18 months and I was just fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

Join the crowd!!! We are nuts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app