Wireless Charging, Must-Have or More Trouble Than It's Worth?

BMWBig6

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I was about to pull the trigger on a Samsung charging dock/cradle, but then came across this wireless charging battery cover on Samsung's accessory site.

EP-CN900_Black_1_400.jpg

The problem is, I don't see a charger specifically listed for the Note 3. Or does it use the same generic charger for the Galaxy S4 and other Samsung models? Is this solution just a bunch of hype or worth it (and is the Samsung-branded setup as good as 3rd party aftermarket offerings for wireless charging)?

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a third party option on the note 3 and my gs3. both work fine. considering i spent $12 on the chip and $18 for the chargin pad, i consider the expense worth the convenience

TheMaskedMamba

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a third party option on the note 3 and my gs3. both work fine. considering i spent $12 on the chip and $18 for the chargin pad, i consider the expense worth the convenience

Icanmayhem, can you share the links to the chip and charging pad you have. I want to make sure to get the correct items

Sent From "The Beast"

dkeven

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I have the kool puck by fonesales and docooler receiver both bought of Amazon for around 50 bucks shipped, they work great and the puck takes very little real estate from a flat surface. Set the phone on it at night and pick it up in the morning at 100% Charges through my Spigen neo hybrid with no problem

pluka

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
A couple of things to consider. I use a slim polycarbonate case that will not fit with either the Samsung back or the bulge of having a third part receiver inside the original back. The second thing is that from what I've seen so far, all of the third party receivers charge at a much slower rate than the 1.6A of the USB charger. Not sure about the samsung back.

TheMaskedMamba

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
A couple of things to consider. I use a slim polycarbonate case that will not fit with either the Samsung back or the bulge of having a third part receiver inside the original back. The second thing is that from what I've seen so far, all of the third party receivers charge at a much slower rate than the 1.6A of the USB charger. Not sure about the samsung back.

I honestly wouldn't expect a wireless charger to put out the same current as a wall charger. But as long as I can get a full charge overnight, I'm good with that.

Just curious though, has anyone tested or know the approximate current from a wireless charger.

Sent From "The Beast"

pluka

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I honestly wouldn't expect a wireless charger to put out the same current as a wall charger. But as long as I can get a full charge overnight, I'm good with that.

Just curious though, has anyone tested or know the approximate current from a wireless charger.

Sent From "The Beast"

On the Note 2 it was roughly .5A. I believe it's between .6A and 1A for the Note 3, depending on the charger and receiver.

As you said, fine for overnight. I would like to use it as a desk charger while in the office - makes quick top ups very easy.

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Icanmayhem, can you share the links to the chip and charging pad you have. I want to make sure to get the correct items

Sent From "The Beast"

I have this chip for ~$12. Amazon.com: Docooler Qi Standard Wireless Charging Receiver for Samsung Galaxy Note III 3 N9000 N9005: Cell Phones & Accessories

they initially sent me the wrong version, but the wrong one worked in my wife's phone and they sent me a replacement.

and this charger Amazon.com: Nokia DT-900 Wireless Charging Plate - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

if you get the charger, order it from att.com, they have it for $25 or $18 if you order multiples, as i did.

BMWBig6

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I have this chip for ~$12. Amazon.com: Docooler Qi Standard Wireless Charging Receiver for Samsung Galaxy Note III 3 N9000 N9005: Cell Phones & Accessories

they initially sent me the wrong version, but the wrong one worked in my wife's phone and they sent me a replacement.

and this charger Amazon.com: Nokia DT-900 Wireless Charging Plate - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

if you get the charger, order it from att.com, they have it for $25 or $18 if you order multiples, as i did.

How thick is the battery receiver unit? Does it work with the factory battery cover (without bulging)? Or does it bulge and preclude the use of certain aftermarket cases?

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
How thick is the battery receiver unit? Does it work with the factory battery cover (without bulging)? Or does it bulge and preclude the use of certain aftermarket cases?

its very small, about the thickness of an envelope. i cant see a bulge, but you can sort of feel it if you push on the back cover. my spigen slim armour and hyperion cases fit the same as before. i'll put it this way, if i handed you the phone without telling you its there, you wouldnt notice.

AZwldcats

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Which one did they send you? I just got one from them and it isn;t working. The amazon pic show 3 contacts but the one they sent me only has 2.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't call it a must have, but its really really nice. I have 3 charging plates; desk at work, desk at home, night table. It doesn't charge as fast as when plugged into the wall, but it is faster then plugging it into the computer. Fast enough that I am always at 100% when I walk away from my desk. I also like that there is a lot less wear and tear on my connectors. If I am not copying anything from my computers, I can go days and days without plugging the phone into anything. Even if I am shortening my batteries lifetime of usefulness, its easier to replace a battery then the connectors.

I got my charging plates from ATT. They were on sale for $54 for three of them. I believe they repeat that sale fairly frequently. Nokia Black Wireless Charging Plate accessories from AT&T

I got the wireless back from MobileFun.com. They also ave the S-view cover, but I got the standard one.

It is just enough thicker then the standard back that it doesn't fit well into the standard case. I picked thie Poetic Borderline Bumper Case on Amazon and it looks great and fits perfectly.

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Which one did they send you? I just got one from them and it isn;t working. The amazon pic show 3 contacts but the one they sent me only has 2.

go to your order and use the option for "i received the wrong item" or something like that. the email they sent me said that was the old version.

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't call it a must have, but its really really nice. I have 3 charging plates; desk at work, desk at home, night table. It doesn't charge as fast as when plugged into the wall, but it is faster then plugging it into the computer. Fast enough that I am always at 100% when I walk away from my desk. I also like that there is a lot less wear and tear on my connectors. If I am not copying anything from my computers, I can go days and days without plugging the phone into anything. Even if I am shortening my batteries lifetime of usefulness, its easier to replace a battery then the connectors.

I got my charging plates from ATT. They were on sale for $54 for three of them. I believe they repeat that sale fairly frequently. Nokia Black Wireless Charging Plate accessories from AT&T

I got the wireless back from MobileFun.com. They also ave the S-view cover, but I got the standard one.

im
It is just enough thicker then the standard back that it doesn't fit well into the standard case. I picked thie Poetic Borderline Bumper Case on Amazon and it looks great and fits perfectly.

im the same way. it charges slow, but since you're always sitting it on the charger, it doesnt really matter, just kinda tops it off. and of course you can use the wall charger if you need to juice it up quickly. i have one on my nightstand for overnight, so speed doesnt matter, and on my desk i just sit the phone on it when im not using it, so it stays topped off. for some reason im too lazy to constantly plug it in at my desk, that extra 2 seconds doesnt work for me. im weird like that.

TheMaskedMamba

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased the receiver that icnmayhem suggested, but decided to go with the Samsung charging plate.....I'm a sucker for name brand matching. Both have been shipped, just waiting for them to be delivered

Sent From "The Beast"

nismo591

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the s charging cover from Samsung that I purchased from Verizon with my 25% off due to work. I bought a cheap wireless charger from eBay for 20 bucks. I also got a qi wireless charger with built in battery for when I'm on the go. Very convenient.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

nismo591

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
From eBay. I tried to search for it just now but couldn't find one for sale. Please see the screen shot for description.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1383942256987.jpg
    1383942256987.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 64

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie