The Tempered Glass for the Note 3. Warning, kinda long.. :)

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
For my Note 3 and that big beautiful screen, I figured tempered glass is the only way to go with this phone.
Reading through the threads, I concluded that the Spigen Slim'R was the one to get. Okay, I pre-ordered through
Amazon. This story gets long .. :D

It was supposed to ship on one date, but that never happened, so I waited..In the meantime, I have a regular screen protector from best buy. Also, I had a
$6 silicone case off ebay..Here is the case...there is a reason I have to mention the case, because it ties in with this long story.. :)

Black Soft Silicone Gel Rubber Skin Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note III 3 | eBay

Also, I see this case, and I like it better and it is Spigen too. so I order this too

Amazon.com: SPIGEN Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Case Protective [BOUNCE] [Black] Premium Soft TPU Case for Galaxy Note III - ECO-Friendly Packaging - Black (SGP10443): Cell Phones & Accessories

Finally the Spigen Temp Glass Slim'R arrives . I quickly open it up, and go for the installation. My first time at this, so I look at a couple vids on youtube.
Take my Note 3 out the case, take the acholol swab wipe the screen, take the dry thing wipe it off. Go to set the glass on the screen. Okay, it looks like it on there, I quickly start
take the dry cloth that comes with it and rub it like the directions tell me too. Okay, it looks the Spigen Temp Glass is on there..I get the rubber case I had it in, because the Spigen case hasn't
arrrived yet. The rubber case completly covers the edges. I am liking it big time because it is so clear, and the protection that this glass gives is legendary..

Okay, 3 or 4 days go by, and the Spigen Bounce case arrives.On the same theme and style as the rubber case, but more classy and better made. I take off the rubber case puts on
the Spigen, and I guess all the people that have read this far, know what happened!! The dam glass fell out.. I am not believing this chit..I put the glass back, and it sets on the screen,, but the Spigen case doesn't come in on the edges like the rubber case did, leaving the glass on its own. Come to find out, the glass was NOT sticking in the first place, the way the rubber case was made around the edges was keeping the glass in place.. Okay, I am going to get some help for this. I look online, pull up Spigen's website, and look for a phone number to call support..To my disbelief, no phone number..

You mean to tell me a company selling all this, and they don't have a customer service phone number? That was a turn off..I took the Spigen case off, put back the $6 rubber case, and everything is fine.. But, something is telling me something is wrong with this picture. The glass works with a cheap rubber case, but will not work with the same company's case, and no phone number to customer service.. I called Amazon, and they sent me a mailer to send it back to Spigen, just the glass. They told me that if Spigen doesn't give me my money back, they will. This all could have been fixed or settled if a phone contact with Spigen was available.. Now for the better part of the story.. I am back online hunting for a Temp Glass for my Note 3, no Spigen whatsoever..

In glancing through Ebay, I see this, $ 7.50 for Tempered Glass for Note 3 with FREE SHIPPING . My coffee dropped. I read the specs, and they are similar to everybody Temp Glass 8 or 9H hardness, and same amount of thickness. Sheesh, I am going for this..I know it will take 2 to 3 weeks(Hong Kong ), but for $7.50 shipped, they got me.. I ordered one..
Premium Tempered Glass Film Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 III N9000 | eBay

Reading further down, I see the same thing only this time, it is $8.55, but they are a USA Shipper.. I am going for that too, I ordered that one since that will only take a couple days to get here. If they both turn out to be nothing, I ain't lost nothing but $15..
The one for $8.55 came today.. I pulled it out the box, it was neatly wrapped, but no instructions. It came with the Tempered Glass in cellophane wrapper, with a sticker telling which side was the adhesive. Also, a polishing cloth.. Okay, I take it out the wrapper, since I haven't sent the Spigen back yet I did a eyeball comparison..Looked the same to me except the cheap one has a bigger opening for the sensors and front camera..Other that they looked the same. I cleaned the Note 3 screen, took off the sticker on the sticky side, and put it on..Sheesh, it went on good. Then I took the dry cloth and rubbed it like the Spigen instructions told me too.. Waited 10 more minutes, no bubbles, no nothing, just a clear pretty screen. I turned the Note 3 upside down, glass stays on..I put the Spigen case on, and everything is PERFECT.

Will somebody explain to me what is happening. The Spigen Glass cost $35, the cheap Glass cost me $8.50 and it is working like a charm...
If the Spigen is better than the cheap glass, it is not 5 times better thats for sure..

Right now, the no-name-clone tempered glass looks like a cold winner.. Just want to share this. Because they have the flimsy stuff selling for $10, $15 and $20, whereas, this Tempered Glass Clone sell for under $9 with free shipping.

Sorry for the long rant.. :D

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think it's an excellent rant. I've often found generic cheaper items that are as good or better than their name brand item. Thanks for telling us.

desdesdes

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I read it all.....
Me thinks my reward should be a link to the cheaper tempered glass screen protector ;)
Glad you found a solution that works. Sadly, customer service is a thing of the past :(

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Wow. That's really something. Please keep us posted on how that less expensive one holds up (any chipping, bubbles, etc.). I WILL NOT be buying a Spigen tempered glass based on this.

Note 8.0

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Wow. That's really something. Please keep us posted on how that less expensive one holds up (any chipping, bubbles, etc.). I WILL NOT be buying a Spigen tempered glass based on this.

Note 8.0

Customer support could have found out if I had a defective one, or I installed it wrong. I am not ruling out that I installed it wrong. But, I need some help from the company, and they are at least 2 days away from an EMAIL RESPONSE. Don't know how they are making money that way. Also, if the bounce case grabbed around the edges and held the glass in place like the rubber one, I would still have the Spigen and be a happy camper. But, for the same maker's case not hold the glass, that was a little too much.. The clone comes almost with the bare glass. No fancy wrapper, no instructions, just the Tempered Glass in a cellophane wrapper, with a sticker telling you which side is the adhesive and a backing on the adhesive side.. Along with a dry cloth.. All that was inside a small USPS priority but the pritority was wrapped and had a first class label. Shucks, the shipping was free...

The Clone Glass is spotless, and I took it through its paces with Note 3's stylus.. Everything works..and it is just as clear as the Spigen.. Oh, and no little thingee for the home button. Don't need it, the home button works through the glass with no problem...

sku099664.jpg

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well I think there is no doubt something is wrong with the one from spigen. It should go on and stay on. I got mine from MEMI. So far it has worked great and has not budged since installed. There should be no need for a case to hold it to the screen.

I do have one question though. By chance did you try to move it once it started to adhere to the phone. Like you didn't like how it lined up and picked it up a few times and adjusted it?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I've used their memi ghost glass for 3 phones now with no problems with any cases and they offer a good discount if you ever need it replaced. You did not chose wisely in my opinion.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

Gbsa

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Well your rant made me feel better I just ordered a generic tempered glass screen protector off eBay for my new to me note 2. Thanks

sent from my fabulous galaxy note 2

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Well I think there is no doubt something is wrong with the one from spigen. It should go on and stay on. I got mine from MIME. So far it has worked great and has not budged since installed. There should be no need for a case to hold it to the screen.

I do have one question though. By chance did you try to move it once it started to adhere to the phone. Like you didn't like how it lined up and picked it up a few times and adjusted it?

Yes, I think I did move it. Just like I mentioned to Amazon and to Spigen, if some kind of support phone number was available, maybe I could have got the Spigen installed correctly, or by chance it was a defective one. Be that as it may, it didn't stick to my Note 3. Whether that was my fault or the fault of the glass, I don't know. Since then, about 5 days after, and after Amazon had contacted Spigen, I get two emails from Spigen. One asked me to take a photo of the problem. The next one sending me a mailer to send the glass back. Only thing, they sent me a backwards mailer. It had my address as the TO address, and their address as the FROM address..

I also, mentioned to the support person, that all this could have been avoided if they had a PHONE support number. Right now, for 1/5th the cost, I am in the Clone's corner 100 percent. Also, I am using the Spigen case, which I prefered. Since I did have the Spigen on my Note 3, even though being held in place by a case, I did have time to see how good or bad it was. The Spigen was good as far as seeing, touching, clearness, the whole 9 yards, just wasn't sticking to my Note 3. Now the Clone is performing almost exactly like the Spigen. Minus the fancy case, packaging, and instructions, IMO, the Clone is right there with the Spigen, only thing I see different is the cut out for the sensors is bigger on the Clone.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I've used their memi ghost glass for 3 phones now with no problems with any cases and they offer a good discount if you ever need it replaced. You did not chose wisely in my opinion.

I think I did. :)

My first choice was the Spigen, top of the line..When I had a problem with the Spigen, I looked for support, it wasn't there. So, I go looking for the next in line, like the one you have and a couple others that are mentioned, all of them in the bottom 20 to 30+ dollar range. However, looking for them, I ran across this Clone for $7.50 and $8.50(USA Seller) Reading the description, I said I got to try this. When the Clone arrived, it EXCEEDED my expectations. In addition, I am still in "try" mode.. If this Clone has any HI-CUPS whatsoever, it will be ditched. After all, I have a $700+ phone, I want it protected.. In fact, my Note 3 is so protected right now, I can put in the case I carry, and throw it off a 2 story building, and 99.9% sure nothing would happen to it..

My Note 3 is protected by the Clone Tempered Glass, a Spigen Bounce Case, and another case that cost $6. I think I am very wise.. :D

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Myself into have the ultra thin spiegen case and the glass protector and I'm good...I am even comfortable without the case as long as it has the glass.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Myself into have the ultra thin spiegen case and the glass protector and I'm good...I am even comfortable without the case as long as it has the glass.

At my age, I am very clumsy. :) That is why I am double case all the time, and always some protection on the screen. Since I am a newbie at this and went for the top dog, no more than right to make sure I don't mess it up on a drop. On the Spigen, it is about 85% chance that I messed up on the install, and about 15% that it was defective..Anyway, waiting about 2 to 3 weeks for the Spigen, I wanted something quick. Anyway, I hoping somebody gets the Clone and has the Spigen or others, and see how they compare with them...

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The real test would be to go ahead and get one to put it through the ringer. Even the hammer test a few have done.