Smart View App for Note 3?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I just got a Note 3 and was really bummed out that I couldn't download the Samsung SmartTV companion app, Smart View, for this phone! I had it on my S4 (which went to my dad after my puppy ate his S3) and now it shows as incompatible with the Note 3.

Does anyone have the APK to test out or know if there's a way to get the app to work with the Note 3?

Thanks!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Heya Spook. Your puppy at your dad's phone? That does stync indeed. Did your puppy at least enjoy it from what you can tell? ...Puppy Chow seems less expensive. I'm just say'n.

Don't know about the SmartTV companion app but hopefully someone might.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, we were having a BBQ, my dad left his phone on the table, little Perry found it, and just started chewing away. Gorilla Glass my ****... that thing didn't stand a chance haha

Gratefully, he didn't really ate anything, just tore the thing apart.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I downloaded the APK using the old S4's ID... and lo and behold, it works on the Note 3! ??' Why did Samsung choose to say it's not compatible, I don't know... hopefully they'll update the compatibility list soon...

But if anyone has an official link to a (maybe) Note 3-optimized Play Store version, I'd prefer that than the old, not-automatically-updated, side-loaded one :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Could it be that the Exynos version is not compatible and the Snapdragon Is? Can anyone check? I've got an N900 model and it shows as not available.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the author of the video just confirmed that, too... I tried using that APK but noticed that the interface looked, well, odd... and then I noticed that the APK is really old! The current version is 4.1 I believe (which is the one I downloaded from my S4) and that new version works (so far) flawlessly with my Note 3.

The only complain I have is that the 'Dual View' feature seems to darken the image when transmitted to the phone... really dark movies look REALLY dark in the phone (as in "really? I can't see a thing!"). This also happened on my S4, so I know it's an app issue or the way the TV streams the image.

Oh, and does anyone know if it's possible to make this app work without a router? My friend got a SmartTV on a store raffle (lucky *******!) but he's living in the stone age and has no Internet at home. He's able to mirror his phone to the TV using WiFi Direct, but can the same be done with Smart View? So far I haven't found a way to do this...