Samsung Galaxy - Cracked Screen Defect, not dropped, Note 3 & Note 2, S4 & S3

Andreas Sheriff

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Me too. Here are my pictures.

I picked up the phone 2/11/2014 and the screen spontaneously cracked 2/14/2014.

As you can see, the crack originated from a line in the center of the screen, and from the inside.

Contact me at via email for my personal information amadeus1171 at g mail.

20140215_132801.jpg20140215_132829.jpg20140215_132836.jpg

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same defect with my galaxy s4. I purchased the phone on January 12, 2014... a month and a day ago. The night before last a crack appeared at the top. Yesterday I contacted samsung support online (still have the chat), went to the T-mobile store I bought it from, and called the T-Mobile customer support. The short version is that even though I have only had the phone a month, babied it, used the cover they recommended, etc. they have all told me their hands are tied. I will have to pay to get it repaired or buy a new phone. I paid $625 for a phone that lasted month. If you are gathering people together for a lawsuit, I want in! Let me know what you need.

that would be document it, take picture and post it here and the rest should follow

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Me too. Here are my pictures.

I picked up the phone 2/11/2014 and the screen spontaneously cracked 2/14/2014.

As you can see, the crack originated from a line in the center of the screen, and from the inside.

Contact me at via email for my personal information amadeus1171 at g mail.

View attachment 104881View attachment 104882View attachment 104883

damn that is bad luck..

on the first pic I am not sure that I see the crack in the center
on the second pic; it seems be be at the upper right corner going diagonal
the third one look really nice; still brand new

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
can't wait to see the outcome of the lawsuit................

I guess I'm lucky, mine still intact....crossing fingers for it to never break

Andreas Sheriff

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
The crack is hard to see. It is below the screen. I had to use the iPhone's light to illuminate below the screen and took the picture with my Note 10.1 2014 Edition (I was a sailor so I know how to be handy). On the second pic what appears to be a crack is just the edge of the Note 10.1. I uploaded the second and third pictures so you can see there was no physical damage to the phone.

I'm uploading another picture with the crack enclosed in red. You can see a line where the crack originated and the tendrils that spread out.

I think previous posters might be onto something regarding heat. On Feb 14, 2014 it was 82 degrees outside when I left my car to pickup my daughter. I had the air conditioner on prior and it was cool in my car. I did not hear the screen crack, but I suspect it happened as the phone was exposed to the 82 degree weather.20140215_132801_2.jpg

Andreas Sheriff

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Someone on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy note 3 forum suggested that we collect batch numbers and see if they're all from the same batch. I'm not sure which is the batch number, though.

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The crack is hard to see. It is below the screen. I had to use the iPhone's light to illuminate below the screen and took the picture with my Note 10.1 2014 Edition (I was a sailor so I know how to be handy). On the second pic what appears to be a crack is just the edge of the Note 10.1. I uploaded the second and third pictures so you can see there was no physical damage to the phone.

I'm uploading another picture with the crack enclosed in red. You can see a line where the crack originated and the tendrils that spread out.

I think previous posters might be onto something regarding heat. On Feb 14, 2014 it was 82 degrees outside when I left my car to pickup my daughter. I had the air conditioner on prior and it was cool in my car. I did not hear the screen crack, but I suspect it happened as the phone was exposed to the 82 degree weather.View attachment 104916

hummm..this is a tempered glass that we suppose to have on note 3..the way I understand it; glass harder to break. So now how about a home or car . all homes and cars have glass when it's 100 deg out and you run the air conditioner in, none of the glass break because of the temperature changed from outside/inside.

I think when they made the glass they screw up some where.......

yeah batch number/month that was built could give an indication.....

Theresa Heil

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Alright, last week i dropped my phone in the tmobile store (yeah ironic cuz i work construction and had to drop it in the store). Right away knew, screen was done. The t-mobile rep said i had to go thru insurance but put a screen protector on for me so i dont slice my finger. Since Ive only just bought the phone I'm not interested in dropping another $175 for the deductible. I know someone that replaces screens.
My question: If I replace the screen and then send it off to the insurance company, will they know its been switched out? The crystal broke on me last night so phone in trash. But can i pawn it off as manufacturer defect that way?

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Alright, last week i dropped my phone in the tmobile store (yeah ironic cuz i work construction and had to drop it in the store). Right away knew, screen was done. The t-mobile rep said i had to go thru insurance but put a screen protector on for me so i dont slice my finger. Since Ive only just bought the phone I'm not interested in dropping another $175 for the deductible. I know someone that replaces screens.
My question: If I replace the screen and then send it off to the insurance company, will they know its been switched out? The crystal broke on me last night so phone in trash. But can i pawn it off as manufacturer defect that way?

dropped: you clearly stated you dropped it.....well your fault.
switched out: not sure if I understand clearly. if they will know it has been replaced....who's they......if it's Samsung you are referring to......they could possibly know if in the making of the screen they have inserted some sort of code....just like glasses that we wear...
pawn: what pawn a note3 with broken glass?

and when something has been dropped and broke, I think at the point of impact ( screen ) there would possibly have chip around the point of impact....like receiving a rock in a windshield...or if the drop was at any other place on the phone then there would be some visible scratch somewhere on the phone.

Theresa Heil

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I understand i'm at fault for the cracked screen, however last night is when the crystal just cracked. without me touching it, literally went to bed and woke up to it. As far as switching it out, i just want to switch the glass out of it and send it back to them saying that the crystal just went on me. Yes there is evidence of a point of impact but my theory is that if the screen was still good, maybe i could pass it off as a defect (no impact damage occurred when I actually cracked the glass). But i would be sending it thru my insurance so I assume they send it to Samsung? But thats what i was wondering if theres a code on them.

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I understand i'm at fault for the cracked screen, however last night is when the crystal just cracked. without me touching it, literally went to bed and woke up to it. As far as switching it out, i just want to switch the glass out of it and send it back to them saying that the crystal just went on me. Yes there is evidence of a point of impact but my theory is that if the screen was still good, maybe i could pass it off as a defect (no impact damage occurred when I actually cracked the glass). But i would be sending it thru my insurance so I assume they send it to Samsung? But thats what i was wondering if theres a code on them.

ok I understand now...

it is hard to say.....if the original glass has a code in it or not.... like the glasses we wear....or a windshield of a car.
crystal: I suppose you are referring to the digitalizer ( i am not sure of the spelling) underneath....that is a good question//////////

Now I am wondering if in the phone there is a place that record a drop ( impact)? I would think not...but never know how Samsung could say that something has been dropped... as many swear they did not...

I think it is every one guess

and I remember someone here saying that there is a visible crack that seems to be underneath..their screen...now is it the digitalizer that has a crack or the glass itself cracking from under....? until someone open it up for investigation no one knows.

is your phone working???

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

When my screen got smashed we called round a bunch of places for quotes on having the screen replaced vs paying the ins deductible ($99). We called probably a good 8-10 places as well as checking online and the cheapest was about $160-180.

They said the capacitive layer is fused to the glass, which makes it more expensive to replace vs a more basic phone.

If you got it replaced from the same part of another note 3 (we had a guy we called who had the "part" - the fused layer and the glass - who said he could switch them out) then you may have a better chance at fooling samsung, maybe. But, he quoted that for us for like $190. There was places that offered to do it for cheap online (look at ebay) but they were all basically the same cost as my deductible (maybe up to $140ish)..which I trusted more than some random person online.

Bummer you dropped the phone, but I think you would be hard pressed at convincing Samsung that they're product is defective - the rep I spoke to said they will 99% of the time say the customer is at fault; and sends the customer out a new phone - without telling them that they will be charged full retail price for the phone on their bill.

Posted via Android Central App

Necoariadne

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Today unfortunately, I have suffered the same issue. I was using my phone all morning sitting in my car at school. Walked to/from a building in ~30 degree weather to a nice warm car, and drove home. Later, when I looked at the screen it looked like a hair or spiderweb was on the screen. I rubbed it, and nope, it's real. The crack is UNDERNEATH the glass, and my phone is absolutely flawless. I've had it for only four months and there isn't a scratch on it. Going to call Samsung tomorrow and be prepared to bend ov.. I mean, hope they fix it. I will take pictures tomorrow and upload them with an edit to this post.

Edit 1: I forgot to add that the phone is still operating fine, with no issues or change in functionality. If you look directly at the screen the crack can't be seen, its only when you tilt it around you can see the it.

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Today unfortunately, I have suffered the same issue. I was using my phone all morning sitting in my car at school. Walked to/from a building in ~30 degree weather to a nice warm car, and drove home. Later, when I looked at the screen it looked like a hair or spiderweb was on the screen. I rubbed it, and nope, it's real. The crack is UNDERNEATH the glass, and my phone is absolutely flawless. I've had it for only four months and there isn't a scratch on it. Going to call Samsung tomorrow and be prepared to bend ov.. I mean, hope they fix it. I will take pictures tomorrow and upload them with an edit to this post.

Edit 1: I forgot to add that the phone is still operating fine, with no issues or change in functionality. If you look directly at the screen the crack can't be seen, its only when you tilt it around you can see the it.

minus or plus 30?

anyhow it sucks...geez maybe it is time for me to sell mine before it Happens

yeah post pic here so we can see...

Necoariadne

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
It was approximately 30 degrees Fahrenheit outside, and in my car was about 70-75. My husband bought his at the same time as mine and hasn't had any issues yet. I actually am waiting on him to get back into town tomorrow, since his phone is the only other camera we have. The crack can't be seen when looking directly at the screen, you have to tilt it pretty far.

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
It was approximately 30 degrees Fahrenheit outside, and in my car was about 70-75. My husband bought his at the same time as mine and hasn't had any issues yet. I actually am waiting on him to get back into town tomorrow, since his phone is the only other camera we have. The crack can't be seen when looking directly at the screen, you have to tilt it pretty far.

still not right that the screen cracked ....like I said post pic if here in case you decide to be part of the class action lawsuit that nfluance is taking care of.

now some have said you need to send it via your carrier, I believe, as evaluation only to Samsung for them to decide to change it for free..but no guaranty that it will be done for free

Necoariadne

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Here are a few pictures. It's pretty much undetectable unless you look at it from an angle. Something else unusual is about a week or so ago, I noticed the phone was really hot, and the battery was dropping like crazy (5-10% per minute). I closed, uninstalled and disabled everything I could think of, and it still was losing charge at an alarming rate. Only after a power cycle did it seem like it was returning to normal. This might not have the least to do with it, but I wanted to add it just in case.

Attachments

• 20140227_133734.jpeg
    20140227_133734.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20140227_133656.jpeg
    20140227_133656.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20140227_133624.jpeg
    20140227_133624.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20140227_133618.jpeg
    20140227_133618.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 47

mail4diop

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Second phone looks like an etch a sketch

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394223328624.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394223328624.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 107

Gino Zemlyanker

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
IMG_8670.jpg
Same thing here in Australia. This happened somehow in my pocket. I'm not a clumsy person and know when I've bumped into something.

Worst part is that the touch screen still works but I just cant see what im doing as the so called cracks have effected the circuitry of the screen.

Radha Krishnanc

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
tab3 1.jpgtab3 front.jpgtab3 back.jpgtab3 back.jpgtab3 back.jpg I have the same experience on my Tab 3 which I purchased on Dec 21st and on Feb 22 2014 its screen leaked. there is no physical damage and I took it to INTERTECH service center at Farij al nasser, Doha, Qatar.. They said that you dropped it and the scratch happen. Then one of the staff and manager said that its a plastic screen on the front and you press it hardly and break it. Its out of warranty and 900 riyals to be pay for repair. So I request them a technical report and Quotation. The denied that and said
that they cant give any report and Qoutation.
My tab is in the service center from 5th march and still their research going on says that due to high temperature its broken, due to fell down its broken, so many reasons and asking 900 QR for repairing it. Now the case is under ministry of consumer protection department. Waiting for the final decision .

Last edited: