do I need a router to use miracast

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I want to buy a miracast dongle to use in my brothers Internet-less house to watch Netflix on his big screen. Does he need a router for me to use miracast? I have unlimited 4g and he has zero internet. Also do you know if Samsung Or netgear is releasing a new miracast dongle because its been over a year since they released a new miracast dongle and I want a newer one without bugs. I'm leaning towards the un realeased sony IM10 miracast dongle http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/accessories/miracast-wireless-display-im10/

Last edited:

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
These Miracast dongles have 'WiFi direct' like this Sony has, therefore you'd not need a router controlled WiFi home network.

But if I had a Note I'd look for a Samsung Allshare dongle, just to be sure ;)

Last edited:

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
These Miracast dongles have 'WiFi direct' like this Sony has, therefore you'd not need a router controlled WiFi home network.

But if I had a Note I'd look for a Samsung Allshare dongle, just to be sure ;)

Well does my phone need to use wifi to load browser pages and netflix while on miracast or will it just use my 4g while beaming it to the tv using wifi direct

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
... will it just use my 4g while beaming it to the tv using wifi direct
With my HTC phone on 3G I'm beaming Youtube via WiFi direct to a HTC Miracast dongle on my Sony TV ... your Note should also be able to do this.
With the phone and the dongle both on WiFi home network I get even some lagging.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
With my HTC phone on 3G I'm beaming Youtube via WiFi direct to a HTC Miracast dongle on my Sony TV ... your Note should also be able to do this.
With the phone and the dongle both on WiFi home network I get even some lagging.

Thanks. Miracast websites didn't really give much info on data use when it came to miracast.

Michael Wescott

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Were you able to get it to work? I have a note 2 and my phone switches from 4g to wifi about 30 seconds into the connection and that cuts out my screen mirroring. If I switch to wifi before I connect the mirroring the mirroring seems to stay connected most of the time. But I need the 4g speed because my wifi is not the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy