11-20-2013 04:20 AM
42 12
tools
    Hi all,

Apologies if there is another thread on this, I ran a quick query and couldn't find it, so I thought I would create one.

It's just that I was absolutely amazed by the great battery life on my note 3, but since the last Google services upgrade, I have noticed a big change for worse.

Google services often take a huge chunk of battery and CPU time, effectively eating as much juice as the screen itself. Sometimes I see an improvement after a reboot, like they seem to stop activity somehow, but after a while, they seem to resume and now I barely get what I used to get with my nexus 4. It's gone from more than a day total and six hours+ of screen time to barely a day and three hours.

To give an idea of what I see for my Google services, after roughly a day of use, I see 41min of CPU, 2 hours and 5 min of stay awake time. Somehow that sounds like a lot.

Is that normal? Any ideas how to prevent so much juice going to Google services?

Thanks

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk
    11-10-2013 02:47 PM
    Thank you for bringing this up.I was going to start a thread. I've wiped my device twice and just deleted the extra apps, still notice a huge drain after a update all the main Google apps. Wondering and will test the recent Google text to speech update now. I thought I was going crazy because I got insane battery life until some recent Google updates. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    11-10-2013 03:57 PM
    I had this problem and found it was location services. Although, my gps was turned off, I still had other boxes checked under location services. Once I unchecked those boxes, it went back to normal. I hope you are able to figure it out.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-10-2013 06:37 PM
    For those who have this issue, I wanted to share what I am trying. I am still unsure as to whether it will help, but it is worth trying.

As it turns out,I read an article saying that the latest Google services update did turn off the device administrator option, which is true.

I manually turned it back on, and since then I am seeing Google Services more hungry than ever.

I have now turned the option back off in hopes it will help, will update this post if it does.

11-11-2013 05:34 AM
    I had this problem and found it was location services. Although, my gps was turned off, I still had other boxes checked under location services. Once I unchecked those boxes, it went back to normal. I hope you are able to figure it out.

Posted via Android Central App
    This. You have to go into your Google settings, click location, and uncheck the box. Helped my battery life tremendously.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    11-11-2013 06:49 AM
    Also, by default, Google decided to automatically sync everything if you're signed into a Google account.

Go into settings, general, accounts, then Google and uncheck everything you don't need. Also, G+ and GNow eats battery life for lunch. If you don't use them disable them.
    11-11-2013 06:53 AM
    Honestly the battery life on the note 3 is epic. I have everything turned on except WiFi and my battery life is simply phenomenal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    11-11-2013 03:50 PM
    That's how mine started out. Now it's 8-10hrs max.

Turning off all the location services, didn't work.

Deleting hangouts and goggle text to speak, didn't work.

I'm going the old fashion route, pulled my sd card out. I read some posts here and on xda. The cards can be finicky. I might have saved a corrupt or bad file that's setting off the indexing. Will let you know tomorrow. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Palm Treo line > Blackberry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW: the awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 3 ๐Ÿ˜Š
    11-11-2013 03:58 PM

I'm going the old fashion route, pulled my sd card out. I read some posts here and on xda. The cards can be finicky with the note 3 (like the s 3). I might have saved a corrupt or bad file that's setting off the indexing. Will let you know tomorrow. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Palm Treo line > Blackberry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW: the awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 3 ๐Ÿ˜Š

11-11-2013 03:59 PM

I'm going the old fashion route, pulled my sd card out. I read some posts here and on xda. The cards can be finicky. I might have saved a corrupt or bad file that's setting off the indexing. Will let you know tomorrow.

Palm Treo line > Blackberry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW: the awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    How long have you had the GN3? I have been getting the same battery life all through since October 5th.
    11-11-2013 04:35 PM
    I've had it for almost a month. Everything was fine until a week ago. It's driving me nuts! Something updated/changed or I saved a bad pic/file.

11-11-2013 04:47 PM
    I enabled App Ops, made a toggle for location services and toggle that on /off as needed. At one point I had over 7000 wake locks in 8 hours, now I get about 5. Battery life much improved.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    shuttlexman likes this.
    11-11-2013 04:59 PM
    Honestly the battery life on the note 3 is epic. I have everything turned on except WiFi and my battery life is simply phenomenal.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/12/evuqepy6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Your actual screen on time must be fairly low at 22%, I'm guessing maybe 2 hours max at that point

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    11-11-2013 06:42 PM
    Probably is (it's not my screen shot) but still I was getting 18-26hrs with 6-10hrs of screen time. Obviously the lower the screen time, the more hours I got w/o charging. Sighs...

11-11-2013 07:00 PM
    Thanks for all the replies, everybody.

After a day without the device administrator option, seems like things are back to normal, somehow.

Obviously I haven't used it heavily at this stage, with just 2:27 hours of screen on time, but still 67% is what I was used to with this kind of use.

It does feel like Google services is still very active and demanding, but I can live with it as long as I get my usual awesome battery life!

11-12-2013 02:35 AM
    It was a bad file holding it up...phone indexing even thou I never got a warning. This isn't even a full charge cycle when I figered out the problem. Sighs again...

11-12-2013 05:53 AM
    It was a bad file holding it up...phone indexing even thou I never got a warning. This isn't even a full charge cycle when I figered out the problem. Sighs again...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/12/zyha2udu.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/12/4a6a5e3u.jpg

Glad to see it wasn't the battery itself. .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    11-12-2013 07:13 AM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/12/zyha2udu.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/12/4a6a5e3u.jpg

Palm Treo line > Blackberry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW: the awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    How did you determine that it was a bad file? I'm having the same issue.
    11-12-2013 09:43 AM
    Because of all the trouble shooting I did above. Then I did one last ditch effort and spent an hour searching threads. In the beginning, now too, people were having problems with indexing and micro sd cards. I decided to pull my sd card out and run the phone with out it. Boom, it improved instantly. What made me pull the memory card finally was this thread in xda. Even though mine wasn't as bad as the person phone mentioned, it was happening for me too. There is a all running when you go into the battery, called media services. If it's above 8% some file is holding it up. Give it a try. What will you lose? It's only pulling your sd card. Not deleting apps or files. I'll get the link and post it from xda.

isaiah32 likes this.
    11-12-2013 11:22 AM
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2485492

11-12-2013 11:24 AM
    Just an update. Finally had a chance to go through my sd card. Removed all the png files I had move to my card. Example: screenshots or edited photos. My card has been working flawless with my phone now. Took another step and loaded my png files on my phone directly. Works good as well. Moral of the story for me, keep png files on the phone. Don't know why?

11-13-2013 08:25 PM
    After a few charges since I tried removing the device administrator, I can confirm it worked for me, back to normal battery life.

Thanks rivencap for the hint on how to spot if the SD card is linked to excessive battery demand.

rivencap likes this.
    11-14-2013 03:25 PM
    Wakelock Detector I'm the Play Store was very helpful telling me *why* my phone was losing 20% overnight. (NLP Collector wakelock)

After that, the thing that fixed it was clearing the cache of a couple of processes. Just switching off location reporting in settings didn't do anything for me.
    11-14-2013 07:54 PM
    After a few charges since I tried removing the device administrator, I can confirm it worked for me, back to normal battery life.

Thanks rivencap for the hint on how to spot if the SD card is linked to excessive battery demand.

Can you clarfiy what you mean by 'Removing the Device Administrator"?

Mine is acting up and is roughly 40% of my battery drain. Google Play Services has been 'awake' for hours and I drained a good 20% overnight. Trying to narrow down the solution as I have location reporting history unchecked.

Edit: Found it, just kidding. Mine was unchecked. After reading more online, I found that if you go to Location Services > Use Wireless Networks and uncheck that it seems to stop the Google Play Service draining. So far it has, but it has only been a few minutes but it doesn't show up on my battery page at all now!
    11-15-2013 12:42 PM
    Can you clarfiy what you mean by 'Removing the Device Administrator"?

Mine is acting up and is roughly 40% of my battery drain. Google Play Services has been 'awake' for hours and I drained a good 20% overnight. Trying to narrow down the solution as I have location reporting history unchecked.

Edit: Found it, just kidding. Mine was unchecked. After reading more online, I found that if you go to Location Services > Use Wireless Networks and uncheck that it seems to stop the Google Play Service draining. So far it has, but it has only been a few minutes but it doesn't show up on my battery page at all now!
    As for location services, I use all of them and have no problem... I don't see the point in using a smartphone without them, to be honest. I recommend rebooting your device and then reactivating them, I don't think location services are the problem.

11-15-2013 01:26 PM
42 12