starting to slow down

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Since 2 days ago my Galaxy Note 3 has really started to slow down. The browsers mostly. Like when loading when it hits 80% loaded it slows down. Simply hitting back can take up to 5 seconds for just going back to google search results. On a 20mb wifi connection. I clear my Cache Everyday. And Very rarely ill click on a app or folder on my home screen and hear the bloop but nothing happens. This all started happening when I used my T mobile hotspot for the first time 2 days ago. Hotspot is definitely off and I scanned my phone for viruses with norton. I don't want to reset my phone because I'll loose all my game saves. Any ideas guys

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Since 2 days ago my Galaxy Note 3 has really started to slow down. The browsers mostly. Like when loading when it hits 80% loaded it slows down. Simply hitting back can take up to 5 seconds for just going back to google search results. On a 20mb wifi connection. I clear my Cache Everyday. And Very rarely ill click on a app or folder on my home screen and hear the bloop but nothing happens. This all started happening when I used my T mobile hotspot for the first time 2 days ago. Hotspot is definitely off and I scanned my phone for viruses with norton. I don't want to reset my phone because I'll loose all my game saves. Any ideas guys

What do you have syncing? If you have everything set to sync when on wifi, everything is competing for bandwidth causing it to slow down. Also, just because you have hotspot turned off doesn't mean that the connection is off. Meaning it could be continuously polling for a hotspot connection knowing that your Tmo hotspot is turned off and looking for another. Check what you have syncing on WIFI only and disable what you don't need.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
What do you have syncing? If you have everything set to sync when on wifi, everything is competing for bandwidth causing it to slow down. Also, just because you have hotspot turned off doesn't mean that the connection is off. Meaning it could be continuously polling for a hotspot connection knowing that your Tmo hotspot is turned off and looking for another. Check what you have syncing on WIFI only and disable what you don't need.

That makes no sense. Syncing is all defult settings. I changed nothing. These phones are designed to sync lots of data even my s1 can sync Facebook, email, voxer, messanger, photos all while maintaining its original speed. I only get 3 or 4 emails a day mostly from amazon or hulu. Im starting to think its software bugs samsung is working on like that ramdom security warning that randomly started showing up or how smart stay barely works or the fact my t mobile cellular signal will be iffy while on 4g but when it switches to edge data it goes to full 5 bars. They already said they are in the testing phase for 4.4 and some people are reporting some random lag while some people report none. My benchmarks have down a tiny bit to. Not much but if its on energy savings mode its the same score as the s4.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
That makes no sense. Syncing is all defult settings. I changed nothing. These phones are designed to sync lots of data even my s1 can sync Facebook, email, voxer, messanger, photos all while maintaining its original speed. I only get 3 or 4 emails a day mostly from amazon or hulu. Im starting to think its software bugs samsung is working on like that ramdom security warning that randomly started showing up or how smart stay barely works or the fact my t mobile cellular signal will be iffy while on 4g but when it switches to edge data it goes to full 5 bars. They already said they are in the testing phase for 4.4 and some people are reporting some random lag while some people report none. My benchmarks have down a tiny bit to. Not much but if its on energy savings mode its the same score as the s4.

It could be a Wi-Fi issue. But if chrome and stock browser both do it that's too coincidental

Posted via Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

It does make sense. If something is trying to sync but getting hung up requesting an IP, it will most certainly slow things down.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Syncing does not take that much bandwidth. I could see you saying how the router can't handle it or something but I am streaming a 1080P stream to my computer and casting it to my TV over wifi (Chromecast)... And I am able to do everything just fine. So It shouldn't be his Internet bandwidth.

10 Mbit = 1MB/sec down. So on a 20 or higher you are getting ~2 MB a second down.... Syncs will take up maybe.. Maybe.. At most.. 100 KB /sec... If that? So that's 100 KB/sec out of 2048 KB /sec that's avaliable? Yeah it won't slow it down that much... Only if the router is crap or the signal is crap.

As I said I'm streaming a bunch at the moment and casting lots over wifi to my Chromecast.. Zero issue.

As to the OP's issue... What did you install recently? Usually a random slowdown is something changed on the phone recently such as a new app or setting.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1384193466657.jpg
    1384193466657.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 1384193473069.jpg
    1384193473069.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 78

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Syncing does not take that much bandwidth. I could see you saying how the router can't handle it or something but I am streaming a 1080P stream to my computer and casting it to my TV over wifi (Chromecast)... And I am able to do everything just fine. So It shouldn't be his Internet bandwidth.

10 Mbit = 1MB/sec down. So on a 20 or higher you are getting ~2 MB a second down.... Syncs will take up maybe.. Maybe.. At most.. 100 KB /sec... If that? So that's 100 KB/sec out of 2048 KB /sec that's avaliable? Yeah it won't slow it down that much... Only if the router is crap or the signal is crap.

As I said I'm streaming a bunch at the moment and casting lots over wifi to my Chromecast.. Zero issue.

As to the OP's issue... What did you install recently? Usually a random slowdown is something changed on the phone recently such as a new app or setting.

Fyi , 8 bits = 1 byte

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree to disagree. 20MB down, on any ISP, is burst speed and that burst speed only lasts for X.XX amount of time. Actual speed varies upon connection whether it's fiber optic, RG6, or some other similar cabling. You can have 20MB down but only pull in 2MB a sec with actual bandwidth of 700kb or less sustained. It all depends of the node the ISP is using.

But yes, I was talking about the connection of his router since he said wifi connection. There are many, MANY, variables that can hinder DL speeds....such as QOS. The channel he's on could be competing with other devices in the house or other wifi signals in the area. Maybe only one antennae is working. His modem could be borked. It could also be his phone. So many variables.

So start with unplugging the router and modem for 10 seconds. Plug modem in first and wait till it completely boots then plug router back in. Wait till all is good and try it out. If not, then try your phone at a wifi hotspot such as starbucks. One or the other will give you a good look at what might be wrong.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree to disagree. 20MB down, on any ISP, is burst speed and that burst speed only lasts for X.XX amount of time. Actual speed varies upon connection whether it's fiber optic, RG6, or some other similar cabling. You can have 20MB down but only pull in 2MB a sec with actual bandwidth of 700kb or less sustained. It all depends of the node the ISP is using.

But yes, I was talking about the connection of his router since he said wifi connection. There are many, MANY, variables that can hinder DL speeds....such as QOS. The channel he's on could be competing with other devices in the house or other wifi signals in the area. Maybe only one antennae is working. His modem could be borked. It could also be his phone. So many variables.

So start with unplugging the router and modem for 10 seconds. Plug modem in first and wait till it completely boots then plug router back in. Wait till all is good and try it out. If not, then try your phone at a wifi hotspot such as starbucks. One or the other will give you a good look at what might be wrong.

Gator you're reading it very very wrong. You're reading 20Mbit speed test as 20 MB..... Please note the capital B versus non capital b.

A 20 Mb/sec speed test (what speed test shows) is 2MB/sec down.. As you said above. So you're getting the speed from the speed test... It's not a burst of speed for speed tests. It's a difference from Mb (megaBIT) versus MB (megaBYTE).

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Gator you're reading it very very wrong. You're reading 20Mbit speed test as 20 MB..... Please note the capital B versus non capital b.

A 20 Mb/sec speed test (what speed test shows) is 2MB/sec down.. As you said above. So you're getting the speed from the speed test... It's not a burst of speed for speed tests. It's a difference from Mb (megaBIT) versus MB (megaBYTE).

I get what you're saying. Not reading it from any speet test. NONE. The numbers used are just for reference only. I'm stating actual real world bandwidth

For reference......: What are the actual Provisioned Speeds? Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ | DSLReports, ISP Information
https://www.google.com/search?q=rea...rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&safe=off

What I'm stating is that....if you purchase the 50Mbps high speed internet from Comcast, or any other provider for that matter, your throughput (bandwidth) is going to vary from place to place. The 50Mbps is the highest you can achieve....but NOT happening. You might get 50Mbps for 10 seconds (speed boost) but your actual speed might be 3Mbps. Add wireless to the mix, you might get 1Mbps to all devices in your house....depending.

These provisioned rates do not reflect PowerBoost

Acceptable download/upload speeds by opinion are 80% of your advertised rates.

Actual speeds may vary and are not guaranteed.

If you are running a home network, keep in mind that this bandwidth is shared amongst each computer. A computer accessing the home network at the same time as another computer, will not get the full bandwidth. It will be distributed between the computers.

I do get what you mean by Mbits and MBytes. It can get so confusing. But I was just using numbers as a reference...and that the number rated is nowhere near the actual throughput (bandwidth) :)

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I get what you're saying. Not reading it from any speet test. NONE. The numbers used are just for reference only. I'm stating actual real world bandwidth

For reference......: What are the actual Provisioned Speeds? Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ | DSLReports, ISP Information
https://www.google.com/search?q=rea...rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&safe=off

What I'm stating is that....if you purchase the 50Mbps high speed internet from Comcast, or any other provider for that matter, your throughput (bandwidth) is going to vary from place to place. The 50Mbps is the highest you can achieve....but NOT happening. You might get 50Mbps for 10 seconds (speed boost) but your actual speed might be 3Mbps. Add wireless to the mix, you might get 1Mbps to all devices in your house....depending.

These provisioned rates do not reflect PowerBoost

Acceptable download/upload speeds by opinion are 80% of your advertised rates.

Actual speeds may vary and are not guaranteed.

If you are running a home network, keep in mind that this bandwidth is shared amongst each computer. A computer accessing the home network at the same time as another computer, will not get the full bandwidth. It will be distributed between the computers.

Note:
b = bits
B = Bytes

Yes and I very well understand bits and bytes as explained previously. Yes also understand powerboost. As you said it has to do with the persons Internet since some differ... Because it's not always the ISP. It could be the website being slow to.

Either way MOST home internet connections are way more bandwidth than needed especially for normal tasks on a phone.. And syncs. Syncs aren't that horrible on bandwidth was my point.. Unless you live in a house that has 4 Netflix sessions going 24/7 or torrents... Etc. Etc. Like I said I was just saying... Most people have more than enough bandwidth for their tasks.

As for me I pay for the 25 Mbit package with comcast. Most of the time I get more than that (for the entire download.. Not the "power boost" of 15 seconds). As you said it really depends on your house and area. My speed tests are near my 25 Mbit but if I download From Steam (online game store) or Origin (EA's game store) I always pull way higher. Example below.

Downloaded BF 4...never dropped below 4 MB.. Yet I don't pay for that fast.

Attachments

• 1384210668840.jpg
    1384210668840.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 32

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Also no Gator you won't drop from 50 Mbit to 3 Mbit after speed boost... That's 300 KB/sec........... If your comcast does that you seriously need your wiring checked lol.

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Even if you get a Gigabit from your provider, your router can slown it all down. A quick way to check things is to connect a PC directly to your modem and bypass your router and then do a speed test and then connect your computer back up through the router and then do the same speed test.

Also it depends on what you are syncing. Having Facebook and twitter sync is one thing, but if you have it set to sync your photos and videos to Google+ that can suck down a lot of your routers bandwidth.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Also it depends on what you are syncing. Having Facebook and twitter sync is one thing, but if you have it set to sync your photos and videos to Google+ that can suck down a lot of your routers bandwidth.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

This is true. I don't use google + and forgot it can sync all that if set that way... That would definitely slow you down. Good thinking ccpop.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar