12-03-2013 12:19 PM
37 12
tools
    Let me start off by saying two things:

• I'm a gadget freak. Geeked out to the 100th power. Early adopter for the last decade+.
    • Apple guy to the core.. well, previously. iPhones, Apple TVs, Macbook Pros, iPads, you name it..

Made the jump earlier this year from an iPhone 5 to a Galaxy S4. Took me about a month to get comfortable with Android. Once I did, there was no looking back. iOS 7 couldn't hold a candle to what Android is now doing. The tipping point for me was when I heard news that the 5S was sticking with a 4" screen. No thanks.

The S4 was fine. Though I was on my 2nd unit due to software and/or hardware bugs (taking upside-down photos and other wacky problems), I was pleased with the S4. Though battery life continued to be a nightmare and other minor things bugged me about the S4 (squishy home button for example).

But things changed once I held a friend's Note 3 just a few weeks ago. I had previously looked at the Note 3 as overkill. Too big for an everyday phone. But once I held it (and I'm a pretty small dude), I realized that it was perfect. I could perform one-handed functions with ease. And I can't even remember the last time I physically held a phone to my ear to make a call. It's always speakerphone or in-car bluetooth. My main uses for a smartphone are email, texting, web browsing, camera/viewing photos. That screen!! The speed!! That camera. 4K UHD video?!?! Quad core Snapdragon 800 with 3GB of RAM?!?! I had to have it.

I'm now on the 3rd day with my new Note 3 (AT&T) and I continue to be amazed. It's also little things like adding a new contact by taking a photo of a business card, BUILT INTO THE OS! The S Pen functionality... the solid build quality... the battery life is mind-blowing... true multitasking.. and most importantly - the absolute joy I get from simply holding the phone and exploring.

Couldn't be happier with the Note 3 and can easily say it's the greatest piece of technology I've ever owned. Bravo Samsung (and to be fair, bravo Android).

Cheers.
    11-12-2013 06:58 PM
    I couldn't agree more! Was a BB user since 1999 and last week made the switch to the Note 3 / Android. Couldn't be happier with everything now. Battery life is mental for such a huge / powerful phone! Android is a way better OS than BB10!
    vzw8830 and BKlip like this.
    11-12-2013 08:36 PM
    I couldn't agree more! Was a BB user since 1999 and last week made the switch to the Note 3 / Android. Couldn't be happier with everything now. Battery life is mental for such a huge / powerful phone! Android is a way better OS than BB10!
    BB user since 99??? Wow I give u props for sticking with them since... lol... congrats on ur new N3 and enjoy it... it truly is an amazing phone...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
    11-12-2013 09:40 PM
    Hi BKlip,
    I am also a Apple fan girl. 😃 I had almost all the iPhones up until the 5s. Took a leap of faith came over to the Note 3. I needed something new. The iPhone bored me to tears. It's now 1 month and I'm addicted to this phone. My husband told me that I'm so addicted I should just just sleep with it. 😃😃
    I'm sticking to my Macbook Pro though. Won't go back to a PC. However, Samsung did a wonderful job with this phone. I'm very happy! It's a tablet and phone in one. Love love it.
    (My iPhone 5 couldn't even last me half a day. The battery on those phone stink.)
    Sent From Samsung Note 3
    Coddy85, BKlip, tippmann15 and 1 others like this.
    11-12-2013 11:14 PM
    Hi BKlip,
    I am also a Apple fan girl. I had almost all the iPhones up until the 5s. Took a leap of faith came over to the Note 3. I needed something new. The iPhone bored me to tears. It's now 1 month and I'm addicted to this phone. My husband told me that I'm so addicted I should just just sleep with it.
    I'm sticking to my Macbook Pro though. Won't go back to a PC. However, Samsung did a wonderful job with this phone. I'm very happy! It's a tablet and phone in one. Love love it.
    (My iPhone 5 couldn't even last me half a day. The battery on those phone stink.)
    Sent From Samsung Note 3
    ^^ Amen. And I could never go back to Windows (well, to be fair, I haven't used Windows since XP.. so ya never know). But I love my iPad, Macbook Pro and Apple TV. But as far as phone goes, Apple is way behind. Not knocking them just to knock them, I believe that's a fair criticism; especially since owning the Note 3. It's now more obvious than ever.
    11-13-2013 08:27 AM
    Die hard iPhone user since the 3G. I have everything apple just like you. Made the jump to Android with the Note 3.....NEVER LOOKING BACK. love my new phone!
    tippmann15 likes this.
    11-13-2013 09:19 AM
    Your right BB10 sucks and that is why I switched back to my Blackberry 9900. Think I will be keeping the 9900 and use the Note 3 for playing around things. Sorry nobody can do email like the Blackberry 9900 and that is sad. Love my Note 3 and it is great for many things. Just wish I could figure out how to get notifications working better. Set phone to silent and it still makes noise for stupid things like to tell me it updated and app. Sitting in a meeting or class I don't want that so until I figure it out the note 3 gets turned off and the Blackberry gets used during those times.
    vzw8830 likes this.
    11-13-2013 09:22 AM
    ^^ Amen. And I could never go back to Windows (well, to be fair, I haven't used Windows since XP.. so ya never know). But I love my iPad, Macbook Pro and Apple TV. But as far as phone goes, Apple is way behind. Not knocking them just to knock them, I believe that's a fair criticism; especially since owning the Note 3. It's now more obvious than ever.
    Took a class over the weekend and never even took my ipad out. Did sit there and wish I had the 10.1 galaxy to use. Did take a few notes on the note 3 but for this class the note 3 just wasn't big enough. Would go get the 10.1 but not until it has a cellular version out
    11-13-2013 09:27 AM
    My sentiments EXACTLY!! Could not have stated better! Only difference was I came straight over from an iPhone 5 and did not stop over at the s4 first.

Family - Apple to the core, At&t…. and I am Loving my new N3!! Now have to figure out how to get my wifey onboard - she has the new 5s and does not want to change??
    11-13-2013 09:29 AM
    I continue to be amazed by my Note 3 as well. It's just... insane. After seeing this video review in particular:

I'm convinced this thing is the future of mobile computing. The sheer power (even though, admittedly, it's not even necessary) is just nuts.

Rob
    11-13-2013 12:20 PM
    I woke up at 3 am, picked up my GN3 to check the time and temperature. My first thought was: 'This is a great phone!'
    And surely, it is.
    After just two years my Droid Razr is totally obsolete. I can't imagine that the GN3 will be obsolete in two years. But then, what do I know?

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    11-13-2013 12:38 PM
    This thread is the truth. Left BB after a long time! This device is insane! I can do everything on this device, its not a phone it's a computer! As someone else mentioned the battery life is f'n insane! 2 days a charge!
    MissouriFarmer likes this.
    11-13-2013 12:46 PM
    This is THE single greatest gadget / phone / piece of technology - I have ever owned-note-3-battery.jpg
    Love the battery life..

I previously had an iPhone 5. I am a pretty heavy user, had to constantly charge the phone. I never plug my phone in anymore, I have two spare batteries and a battery charger.

Simply turn off the phone and swap out the batteries and I'm good to go!

Btw, how do I take a picture of a business card and create a new contact? That sounds awesome! Normally I would watch youtube videos on its features, but I haven't.
    11-13-2013 12:53 PM
    I continue to be amazed by my Note 3 as well. It's just... insane. After seeing this video review in particular:

I'm convinced this thing is the future of mobile computing. The sheer power (even though, admittedly, it's not even necessary) is just nuts.

Rob
    Yes, coldfustion. IMO the best reviewer on YouTube!

As for OP, cost aside this is the Super Phone of 2013.
    11-13-2013 01:04 PM
    Congrats on your new Note 3

super note 3 user
    Dolomite likes this.
    11-13-2013 06:30 PM
    This is my 5th Android device, and while it's an improvement over any of my past devices, I'm not ready to crown it king of all the electronic stuff. It does a lot of things well, but there are a few things that have me scratching my head. The edges of the phone are hard to use sometimes.

I can be in an app that requires me to use the whole surface area of the phone (ok I'm not going to like it's Candy Crush....) and the edges aren't as responsive. Today I was on the phone but had to multi-task on the phone and the proximity sensor kept bugging out on me because while I was using the phone's other features, I was still on the phone which was annoying (I'm sure there's a setting that can fix that, but you'd think it would be intuitive--Oh the browser is being engaged, don't shut the screen off).

There are some other quirks that are a little annoying, but it is my favorite device thus far.
    11-13-2013 09:51 PM
    Btw, how do I take a picture of a business card and create a new contact? That sounds awesome! Normally I would watch youtube videos on its features, but I haven't.
    Choose Contacts --> click the "+" symbol to add new contact --> at the top of the screen is an icon with a business card and a camera.
    Click it and you're set!
    11-13-2013 09:59 PM
    I too am an Apple fanboy that converted. The moto x actually converted me and then I saw the Note 3 winking at me from across the AT&T store.
    After temptation took over, I bought the Note 3 and took it back 4 days later and went back to the moto x.
    Then after 3 days on the moto X the Note 3 started calling to me again... I got another Note 3 and now, the moto x will be sold tomorrow if the guy shows up.
    It was the hardest choice ever but the screen is OMG beautiful, battery life wonderful, camera is great. I will miss my moto x for sure, but I am very happy with the note 3.
    The size is a bit big but I can use it one handed for most things. The deciding factor, even tho the moto x has better user experience, over-all, but I text, facebook, and surf the web 98% of the time and for those activities the note 3 screen won me over. Awesome phone.
    JellyBeanGurl and BKlip like this.
    11-13-2013 11:31 PM
    Your right BB10 sucks and that is why I switched back to my Blackberry 9900. Think I will be keeping the 9900 and use the Note 3 for playing around things. Sorry nobody can do email like the Blackberry 9900 and that is sad. Love my Note 3 and it is great for many things. Just wish I could figure out how to get notifications working better. Set phone to silent and it still makes noise for stupid things like to tell me it updated and app. Sitting in a meeting or class I don't want that so until I figure it out the note 3 gets turned off and the Blackberry gets used during those times.
    i don't think bb10 sucks, it is still young and will only get better if blackberry is still around.
    SirRod and vzw8830 like this.
    11-14-2013 01:34 AM
    Another quirk I just found out recently, if you shoot 4K video and pull it into a computer, a few popular video players have difficulty playing the content. While I am considering getting a 4K TV in maybe a year, kind of weird to have a phone that can shoot in 4K but can't play in the native 4K (although I guess it's still cool to be able to shoot in 4K).
    11-14-2013 06:12 AM
    So much I want to love about this phone but can't.

I'm on my third one. I continue to suffer constant, sudden reboots. It seems to be a software conflict with something I've downloaded, but with so many apps pre-installed and untouchable, I can't pin it down.

I shouldn't have to work this hard to enjoy my phone. Really upsets me and there's zero help out there because everyone just says "return it." After doing so three times....clearly a software issue.
    11-14-2013 06:34 AM
    Yes, flashing a new ROM resets everything on your device. I've never used My Backup Pro, but I highly doubt it would
    Are you seeing the reboots after installing from a backup or from installing any apps/data? Out of the box it shouldn't reboot unless it's pulling OTA updates. 1 bad unit is possible, 2 is a big coincidence, 3 and you have to wonder if you're introducing something to the phone that it doesn't like. I can't imagine 3 bad phones performing poorly out of the box.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2
    JellyBeanGurl likes this.
    11-14-2013 07:51 AM
    I agree that this is one one the greatest phones ever made. I'm kinda torn between this and the Xperia Z1 and am bouncing between both devices! Here's why I love both (posted this on the Z1 forum)...

Xperia Z1 - I think this phone is really under-rated. Very premium build and beautiful phone. Wish it got more attention out here in the US.
    • Excellent build quality - it makes the HTC One and iPhone 5s look cheap
    • Takes really good photos. I don't know what the critics are complaining about. They suck at taking photos
    • Screen is kind of dark out of the box, just increase the brightness and it looks fantastic
    • You may not like the video performance and will look pretty bad- go to Settings -> Display -> Turn Off X-Reality and life will be good again
    • Screen looks washed out at a different angle. It's not a big a deal as some people make it. Rare situations you are going to use the phone crooked!
    • Fast performance thanks to the Snapdragon 800 - no lag
    • As close to stock Android as it gets - Sony doesn't butcher the OS like Samsung does
    • Magnetic charging is really cool. Think MagSafe
    • Water resistant! If your phone gets dirty, just wash it in the sink!

Galaxy Note 3 - "Infinite" storage, replaceable battery and fast USB charging. this phone is a monster and a great travel companion or a great tool for the road warrior.
    • Gorgeous screen, really bright and easy to read on
    • It's not heavy and is lighter than the Z1
    • The weight is distributed very well so it feels light
    • S-Pen is very well executed
    • Excellent performance thanks to Snapdragon 800 AND 3GB RAM
    • Apps2SD works really well. Feels like you have infinite storage and never have to worry about space on top of the 32GB Internal Memory!
    • Camera could be better. Not as good as the S4 but it still takes good photos
    • TouchWiz isn't THAT bad but can be a dealbreaker. Just install Nova Launcher
    • Thin design - have no problem fitting this in my pocket. I wear men's pant size 33W, 30L
    • Combined with the iPad Air, i can get anything done ANYWHERE. Who cares about the Retina iPad Mini?
    • Rapid USB 3.0 charging, backwards compatible with micro USB
    • Replaceable battery is always a plus
    11-14-2013 09:18 AM
    So much I want to love about this phone but can't.

I'm on my third one. I continue to suffer constant, sudden reboots. It seems to be a software conflict with something I've downloaded, but with so many apps pre-installed and untouchable, I can't pin it down.

I shouldn't have to work this hard to enjoy my phone. Really upsets me and there's zero help out there because everyone just says "return it." After doing so three times....clearly a software issue.
    Fdr the phone And only add one app daily, your phone starts rebooting you'll know what app it was. I know it sucks but it's to be expected when 2 companies are independently creating software that should work together.

Note 3 <Caesars>
    11-14-2013 10:00 AM
    I agree that this is one one the greatest phones ever made. I'm kinda torn between this and the Xperia Z1 and am bouncing between both devices! Here's why I love both (posted this on the Z1 forum)...

Xperia Z1 - I think this phone is really under-rated. Very premium build and beautiful phone. Wish it got more attention out here in the US.
    • Excellent build quality - it makes the HTC One and iPhone 5s look cheap
    • Takes really good photos. I don't know what the critics are complaining about. They suck at taking photos
    • Screen is kind of dark out of the box, just increase the brightness and it looks fantastic
    • You may not like the video performance and will look pretty bad- go to Settings -> Display -> Turn Off X-Reality and life will be good again
    • Screen looks washed out at a different angle. It's not a big a deal as some people make it. Rare situations you are going to use the phone crooked!
    • Fast performance thanks to the Snapdragon 800 - no lag
    • As close to stock Android as it gets - Sony doesn't butcher the OS like Samsung does
    • Magnetic charging is really cool. Think MagSafe
    • Water resistant! If your phone gets dirty, just wash it in the sink!

Galaxy Note 3 - "Infinite" storage, replaceable battery and fast USB charging. this phone is a monster and a great travel companion or a great tool for the road warrior.
    • Gorgeous screen, really bright and easy to read on
    • It's not heavy and is lighter than the Z1
    • The weight is distributed very well so it feels light
    • S-Pen is very well executed
    • Excellent performance thanks to Snapdragon 800 AND 3GB RAM
    • Apps2SD works really well. Feels like you have infinite storage and never have to worry about space on top of the 32GB Internal Memory!
    • Camera could be better. Not as good as the S4 but it still takes good photos
    • TouchWiz isn't THAT bad but can be a dealbreaker. Just install Nova Launcher
    • Thin design - have no problem fitting this in my pocket. I wear men's pant size 33W, 30L
    • Combined with the iPad Air, i can get anything done ANYWHERE. Who cares about the Retina iPad Mini?
    • Rapid USB 3.0 charging, backwards compatible with micro USB
    • Replaceable battery is always a plus
    Which is the official apps2sd application? Seems like there are several.
    11-14-2013 12:39 PM
37 12