I don't know what to do.....

redimpala01

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I was dead set in getting the GN3 but after reading mixed reviews and hearing from friends that have it, I might wait a little bit.

Their main complaints are reception (which is very very important to us) we live in a fringe reception area and WIFI signal strength.

I know my expectations are high (and I know all phones are not the same) but due to where we live (and the poor reception already) we need something that works in case of emergencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gbsa

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Don't give up on it completely wait till some updates roll out. That might fix the reception issue.

sent from my fabulous galaxy note 2

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
You should skip the phone, if that is most important to you. I have no reception issues with my Note 3 in my area.

rz22g

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I would hold off. My location scenario sounds similar to yours and the signal is significantly weaker than on our iphones. The note drops connection while the iPhones have no issue. Wifi performance is also significantly and drastically weaker vs our iPhones and other wireless devices. We are restricted to using the Note 3 within about 50 feet or less from router while the other devices work outside the house 100 feet away. I made the mistake of not returning out two Notes in hopes this problem would be addressed in the first update and it was not. With the exception of reception and wifi it's awesome but these are 2 major flaws

Posted via Android Central App

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I was a little disappointed in the reception of the Note 3 as compared to my Rezound. The Rezound would pull in reception when I'd go out on road trips where no other device would pull in a good signal (this is a wide variety of devices/carriers ranging from iPhones to Samsungs from AT&T to Sprint). You might consider reading up on the HTC One (depending on your carrier) since I'm guessing HTC knows what its doing in regards to reception.

omega1300

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I've personally had no reception issues.

The note has been as good or better than the iPhone I had before it, however I live in a major metropolitan area so that may make a difference.

Gadgetdude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
It really seems to vary on where you are located. While I live in an area with very dense coverage, I was also concerned because my house is at the bottom of hill and there is a serious slope between us and the main tower. As a result coverage at the house has always been a problem to the point where I have an antenna in the attic with an amplifier to help. I have Verizon and moved from a 4S to the GN3 and for me reception is outstanding but mainly because of the move from 3G to 4G/LTE - I get 2-4 bars consistently in the house with the amp turned off, even in the basement (which is crazy). Data speed tests are10Mbps+ on the main floor which is great considering any data connection on 3G was almost nonexistent. I do a fair amount of travel and have not yet encountered any signal issues but again, likely due to being in good coverage areas with Verizon.

Your concerns seem valid - there are quite a few reports in fringe areas where folks have problems and I would have to say carrier also has to have a lot to do with that.

My approach was to have a plan B and C researched and already lined up so if I had problems I could quickly pull the trigger with the carrier and swap for something else. The GN3 was Plan A, the S4 Plan B, and as a last resort was a Droid Maxx (I am a bit limited because my phone choices are managed by my company plan). Luckily for me the GN3 worked out great!

I'd say if you are ready for a new phone go for it with backup options ready - Good luck!

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the quick responses!! I will wait a little bit I guess to see if things improve with a new update.

Not everyone is having reception issues with the phone, and I don’t think there will be any updates for the reception. So if I were you wouldn’t hold my breath waiting on one, and would just pickup a different phone or stick to what you have.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Get it. You have 14 days to decide but im sure you'll know in a few hours if it works out the way you want. This way you can try out a different phone or two to see which gives better reception and go from there.

blanier98

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I live in a pretty dense area and my reception is perfect. Also my WIFI works well over 50 feet from the router. LOVE this phone

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Like Gator said... get it and go everywhere you commonly go and test reception. The only way you'll truly know if reception is acceptable to you. Hope it works out for you.

mrwallyy

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Get it. You have 14 days to decide but im sure you'll know in a few hours if it works out the way you want. This way you can try out a different phone or two to see which gives better reception and go from there.

This.

Only make sure you won't be charged a restocking fee if you do end up returning it.

redimpala01

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

I will be getting my GN3 in 2 weeks!! I will try it out and see!! 👍😄

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I will be getting my GN3 in 2 weeks!! I will try it out and see!! 👍😄

Yes glad to hear your gonna try it out. I was a little hesitant before I took the leap from my iPhone to the Note 3. It was the best decision I made phone wise to date. I love this phone. This Sunday will be the end of my 14 day return period but there's no way I'm returning this bad boy. To many great features. Awesome battery . Let us know how you like it.

By the way nice avatar.

Rockin my Note 3

redimpala01

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes glad to hear your gonna try it out. I was a little hesitant before I took the leap from my iPhone to the Note 3. It was the best decision I made phone wise to date. I love this phone. This Sunday will be the end of my 14 day return period but there's no way I'm returning this bad boy. To many great features. Awesome battery . Let us know how you like it.

By the way nice avatar.

Rockin my Note 3

Go Tigers!!

Scherzer wins 2013 CY Young!
Cabrera wins 2013 MVP!!

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I will be getting my GN3 in 2 weeks!! I will try it out and see!! ����

If all your friends are having reception issues with there Note 3s in your area, then why would bother getting this phone? From your first post you made it sound like it was a deal breaker.

redimpala01

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
They are not local. They are a good 30 miles away. We live in the middle of nowhere. Our local VZW Store is 35 miles away and 6 miles from our house is the closest 4g LTE service area. I doubt we will ever have 4g here at our house but we are also looking into the Network Extender. That should help ;)