Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

I do like bright colored wallpapers but my default wallpaper is black.
    1. Icons stand out better.
    2. I read that Amoled screens only use battery to display non-black pixels.

I do get amazing battery life but wonder if the black wallpaper makes much difference.
    Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    11-17-2013 08:08 AM
    Black pixels aren't lit, but battery is still being used to light the colored pixels and to run the phones processes. I would think that a black wallpaper would not have that much effect of battery life. How often are you on your home screen? Is you home screen blank with nothing on it? Do you have as many apps as possible set to use a black background?

I guess what I'm getting at is.... Use whatever wallpaper you want because the battery savings will be minimal when you actually look at 1)how little time is spent on the home screen. 2)the fact they the screen isn't entirely black anyway after icons, status bar, and widgets. 3) if my screen is on there is usually an app open and I'm at the mercy of whatever color their background is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    MissouriFarmer likes this.
    11-17-2013 08:35 AM
    I think I read somewhere that if you use a black background, you WILL save battery power. Looks like the OP is experiencing that too.
    11-17-2013 09:34 AM
    Yes, it does, black consumes no battery on amoled. It is significant saving.

@T-Mobile GN3
    11-17-2013 09:36 AM
    Black is the new blue....
    11-17-2013 10:23 AM
    Yep mine is set to black. Found it on AC.

http://m.androidcentral.com/pure-black-wallpaper

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Black wallpaper-1384706782922.jpg  
    11-17-2013 10:46 AM
    Black pixels aren't lit, but battery is still being used to light the colored pixels and to run the phones processes. I would think that a black wallpaper would not have that much effect of battery life. How often are you on your home screen? Is you home screen blank with nothing on it? Do you have as many apps as possible set to use a black background?

I guess what I'm getting at is.... Use whatever wallpaper you want because the battery savings will be minimal when you actually look at 1)how little time is spent on the home screen. 2)the fact they the screen isn't entirely black anyway after icons, status bar, and widgets. 3) if my screen is on there is usually an app open and I'm at the mercy of whatever color their background is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I realized that the savings would not be dramatic. You are right about only being on base screen when not using an application.
    Still, savings accumulate from various strategies employed. They add up to the great battery life (IMHO) from the GN3.
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    11-17-2013 11:55 AM
    Thanks for the tip
    11-17-2013 12:35 PM
    Best way to get black wallpaper is to cover the camera lens and shoot a pic!
    11-17-2013 06:29 PM