Continual Intermittent Issue GPS Issues

aegould

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
What's going on with the GN3 frequently dropping the GPS satellite connection? Been happening from day 1, and it doesn't matter what navigation app is being used. The only way right now to fix the issue is to toggle the GPS option off and then on again each time to re-establish the connection. Anyone know if there'll be a better (and less annoying) official fix for this, or are we just doomed with really bad hardware???

sddabrow

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
What's going on with the GN3 frequently dropping the GPS satellite connection? Been happening from day 1, and it doesn't matter what navigation app is being used. The only way right now to fix the issue is to toggle the GPS option off and then on again each time to re-establish the connection. Anyone know if there'll be a better (and less annoying) official fix for this, or are we just doomed with really bad hardware???

Mine goes in and out too.. on AT&T. Not sure what is going on.

aegould

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Mine is on AT&T as well…. Very odd….some days there's no issue….other days it'll drop 4 or 5 times within just a few minutes…..

sddabrow

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Still having GPS issues on my note 3. Keeps dropping out when taking hour road trips or so. Have to refresh the GPS signal and re route on Google maps.

Any ideas as to a fix?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
This just started happening to me last week. I was really screwed driving in a rental in an unfamiliar city. I reset my phone last weekend which was no fun. We will see if the problem duplicates. AT&T here as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I have problem with the GPS a lot while playing Ingress. Many of the same problems you folks are reporting. I am hoping the next major update addresses this. I also am using AT&T branded phone on AT&T

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed only a few, brief and infrequent interruptions, but have attributed it to heavy tree cover on my route. The other potential disruption source could be issues with the GPS inbound signals to the phone/GPS unit.

GPS Status has been a good tool for me to check signal. It also has Tools in the Pro version that can reset or recalibrate the GPS. This or similar tools may be worth a look if the signal issues persist in a consistently reproducible manner.

Last edited:

jnnyr

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It has nothing to do with the carrier. I have a Verizon model with no SIM card and only use the phone on my wifi network. To truly test the GPS radio functionality only engage the GPS as a standalone with no assist from wifi networks. When I do this the Note 3 it's near useless in acquiring a Sat. I've done the test side by side with my SG4 and the SG4 picks up the Sat almost instantaneously.
This was a rampant issue with the SG3 and had to do with the actual body attachment. The fix was to open up the back panel and repeatedly tighten the small screws and sure enough the GPS worked right away. It got so ridiculous after a while. Not sure what is the root cause of the Note's issues but suffice it to say if you do a simple google search on Note 3 + GPS problems and you'll get hundreds of hits.

It's the phone, not you.

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It has nothing to do with the carrier. I have a Verizon model with no SIM card and only use the phone on my wifi network. To truly test the GPS radio functionality only engage the GPS as a standalone with no assist from wifi networks. When I do this the Note 3 it's near useless in acquiring a Sat. I've done the test side by side with my SG4 and the SG4 picks up the Sat almost instantaneously.
This was a rampant issue with the SG3 and had to do with the actual body attachment. The fix was to open up the back panel and repeatedly tighten the small screws and sure enough the GPS worked right away. It got so ridiculous after a while. Not sure what is the root cause of the Note's issues but suffice it to say if you do a simple google search on Note 3 + GPS problems and you'll get hundreds of hits.

It's the phone, not you.

See the post from your previous thread reply.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I had the issue once, months ago, but now, I leave the GPS enabled all the time and I have never seen the issue since. On Android, even with GPS enabled, the GPS does not work and has zero impact on battery, until an application actually calls for it.