Anyone using Hangouts for SMS instead of standard SMS app?

jazzsalt

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if any of you fine folks are using the recently updated Google Hangouts as your only SMS app?

I am thinking of doing just that but keen to hear people's experiences thus far (pros, cons etc.).

Cheers :)

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I haven't heard much on this either and would also like to hear about people's experiences in using Hangouts for SMS.

Airsloth

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
There's no cons only pros. It basically does the same as default SMS app only that its integrated with G+

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

cabiggs152

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I like and enjoy it. I like having one messaging app for everyone and it works pretty well, sends pictures fast, group messaging works well, its a good solid app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I like the SMS integration in Hangouts, but I use Sliding Messaging as my default SMS app mainly cause all the features it has.

Hopefully Google clean it up in a unified way where the SMS contact and Google Hangouts contact is tied into one thread..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd use it if it integrated Google Voice better, but since the sender isn't associated directly with their phone number when I receive a message via Google Voice I decided to wait.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I've been using it for a few days without any issues. I like that you still get different notification sounds when you receive SMS vs IM

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

hawkeye680

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
There's no cons only pros. It basically does the same as default SMS app only that its integrated with G+

If you can tell me how to send texts to my contact groups, I will agree with you. I can't figure that out. I need to be able to sent out texts to my groups.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I beg to differ.. No quick reply pop-ups from lock screen or in other apps :(.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

I have only seen this reported for Sprint users, but when I type 160 characters it just stops. I can't enter any more characters and it doesn't continue on to create a split message. Back to stock SMS for me until this is fixed.

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Hangouts since the it came out with SMS integration.... very pleased with it and have no issues so far....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Does SMS pop-up allow it to do that from lock screen as well?

SMS pop up will light up the screen but you have to unlock it to see it......I think. Been using Chomp SMS.

Sent from my Infamous Note 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
SMS pop up will light up the screen but you have to unlock it to see it......I think. Been using Chomp SMS.

Sent from my Infamous Note 2

It works.. But then I noticed hangouts won't allow me to setup a different notification tone for different contacts.

Sigh.. Shut off hangouts for SMS.. Back to ChompSMS. I do like ChompSMS but I do like the look of hangouts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma