Something is eating up A LOT OF DATA on my Note III. How do I find out?

NJRonbo

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Something is eating up my monthly data allotment.

Is there a way to find out what apps are using the most data? I can't believe I got a warning from AT&T so early in the month that I am my nearing my data threshold.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

GravityMan

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes....go to your "Usage" menu in settings...can see what the culprit is....chewing thru Ur data

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

NJRonbo

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
You know what I think it *MAY* be...and perhaps you guys can confirm this...

I have a tethering plan of 4GB per month. I tether while at work, for a few minutes each day.

Generally, I don't go over 2.5GB in a single month. That's consistent.

Suddenly, now just halfway through the month, I have already eaten 3GB of data.

I am not quite sure if the area I was in had a 4G LTE signal or not. However, AT&T has been turning on LTE throughout the State of NJ for the past year.

If my work area was suddenly upgraded to 4G LTE, I am *guessing* the same amount of data that I use has been amplified by the faster speed.

Does that sound about right?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes....go to your "Usage" menu in settings...can see what the culprit is....chewing thru Ur data

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

Yeah go to your data usage menu to see what apps are using data

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

zzoinks

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If my work area was suddenly upgraded to 4G LTE, I am *guessing* the same amount of data that I use has been amplified by the faster speed.

Does that sound about right?
That would not affect the amount of data usage, only the speed. Think of it like this :
Picture two glasses of water; one has a small straw, one has a huge straw the diameter of a garden hose.

You can drink the water faster through a bigger straw, but in the end you're drinking the same amount of water.

Water =data.
Small straw = 3G or EDGE
Big straw = LTE

As others have said, check the data usage on the phone to find the culprit.

Hope this helps,
-Brett.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

NJRonbo

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Brett,

That is a perfect explanation.

Oh, I did check the data usage. It is the tethering taking up the most data. Just wondering why it's through the roof this month compared to others. Same usage. Perhaps less.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Please post a screen shot of the data usage in the settings

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I have/had similar issues, but am no where near 10 gigs in 2 weeks. I'm mainly streaming Sirius at work, so not going blind. :)

I use My Data Manager to monitor usage, and block A LOT of apps access with App ops (Xposed Module).

I'd really rather not have to pay that much attention to it. I'm on Vz and am seriously debating buying an unlimited plan via ebay.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
It's happened to me since I switched to a 4G router. I think I'm burning through a lot more content instead of waiting for stuff to load on 3G. That's my theory anyway. I'm on my phone 6-9 hours most days so my habits haven't changed. Just the data speed. I'm on Sprint, btw.

Ironically, I rarely see 4G at home on my unlimited phone plan, but the 4G router 30 gig cap, of course, blazing fast 4G, rarely 3G. Go figure.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

js56

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy III. This month the data went off the charts. I only use the camera infrequently and send images, and also text messages. Nothing else. I took the phone to the Verizon store and they are replacing the entire phone. The phone has has a mind of it's own switching to different modes and call settings. It seems pretty unstable and I'm wondering if there is a true "fix" or if I should ask for a more recent version of the phone.

Greg Wilkins

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I have sprint and WiFi at home, so I don't ever have to worry, and for all the sprint haters out there, I've had no real issues with being left without a signal or slow speed

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have sprint and WiFi at home, so I don't ever have to worry, and for all the sprint haters out there, I've had no real issues with being left without a signal or slow speed

Posted via Android Central App

That's good for your area but for majority of areas it's pretty slow.

Doesn't matter though... Carriers are area dependent for sure... T-Mobile is amazing for me but I know there are many areas where it isn't.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Brett,

That is a perfect explanation.

Oh, I did check the data usage. It is the tethering taking up the most data. Just wondering why it's through the roof this month compared to others. Same usage. Perhaps less.
Your computer may have downloaded a windows update