Tasker Ideas for Note 3!

sddabrow

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Just got Tasker due that $50 gift card and am trying to learn more about it. Searching the web and finding tons of useful information and some just way over my head. Thought we could post here what Tasker profiles you use on your Note 3 and post how you did it to help out. I'll start!

My car has BT, so I set my phone up to Turn off BT once I get to my house and hit Wifi.
- State > Net > Wifi Connected > My Wifi
- Task > Net > Bluetooth > Off
- Also set the Exit task to Bluetooth > On

Next I set any Calendar appointment that has 'mute' in the description to mute my phone:
- State > App > Calendar Entry (*, *, mute, Any, Calendar)
- Task > Audio > Silent Mode on
- Also set the Exit task to Silent Mode Off

I set my Wifi to turn on when near a local cell tower and off for the Exit task.

Lastly, I have to jot my mileage down every time I get in the car (for work). I set a task to open my calendar when connected to BT, Mon - Fri, 6AM - 5PM. I am trying to find a way to have it automatically open a calendar event to save an additional click.. but this will do for now!

Let's hear your Tasker profiles!

seventeenseconds

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Wow, all good stuff in your post. I love Tasker, but haven't set up too many profiles yet. I love your idea on muting calendar appointments! Absolutely going to try that one.

I only have two main tasks.

1. A "bedtime" task that activates blocking and power saving modes and sets volume to 1 (uses 3rd party plugin for Samsung). A corresponding "wake-up" mode that comes out of it and sets a normal volume.
2. A geo fence for my office building that sets volume to vibrate mode, then back to normal mode when I leave.

Just those two alone were worth the price for me.

sddabrow

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Wow, all good stuff in your post. I love Tasker, but haven't set up too many profiles yet. I love your idea on muting calendar appointments! Absolutely going to try that one.

I only have two main tasks.

1. A "bedtime" task that activates blocking and power saving modes and sets volume to 1 (uses 3rd party plugin for Samsung). A corresponding "wake-up" mode that comes out of it and sets a normal volume.
2. A geo fence for my office building that sets volume to vibrate mode, then back to normal mode when I leave.

Just those two alone were worth the price for me.

Awesome! Did you get it to actually implement Samsung's Blocking Mode and Samsung's Saving Mode? Could you share how you did that?

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought Tasker for the sole reason of launching Pandora and putting the phone into the hands free car mode when it detects my car blue tooth.

The other 2 I use are to put the phone in silent mode while the camera is open to kill the annoying shutter sound, and I make it beep when I attach a power cable, like my s3 did.

Oh yeah, I launch a menu of music choices when I plug in headphones

sddabrow

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Just thought of a neat idea to say 'Hi Galaxy' and have Google voice search pop up using Tasker.

If I can figure out how to stop svoice from popping up and go straight to Google Now, that would be great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

finzisa

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Just thought of a neat idea to say 'Hi Galaxy' and have Google voice search pop up using Tasker.

If I can figure out how to stop svoice from popping up and go straight to Google Now, that would be great.

You can use autovoice (in conjunction with tasker) to make the phone do what you want by voice

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

xderiwx

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I bought Tasker for the sole reason of launching Pandora and putting the phone into the hands free car mode when it detects my car blue tooth.

The other 2 I use are to put the phone in silent mode while the camera is open to kill the annoying shutter sound, and I make it beep when I attach a power cable, like my s3 did.

Oh yeah, I launch a menu of music choices when I plug in headphones

Using Tasker to mute the shutter sounds great! Gonna have to try that.

How is Tasker on battery when it's used for multiple profiles?

Posted via Android Central App

sddabrow

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
You can use autovoice (in conjunction with tasker) to make the phone do what you want by voice

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I saw autovoice... Wasn't sure how it was on battery life when the screen is off compared to the built in svoice feature.

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I saw autovoice... Wasn't sure how it was on battery life when the screen is off compared to the built in svoice feature.

supposedly having autovoice on with the constant listening kills the battery. i havent used it myself to verify though.

Dirtdawg57

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I have made a ton of Tasker profiles. Coming from my Bionic I haven't tested them all on the note 3. I have one profile that sets a trap as an way around having a lock screen constantly. I have a file labeled credit card numbers. It is a fake but if you try to open it, the phone locks down, sets a password, snaps a picture of the thief's face and sends it to my Dropbox and email. It also takes a audio clip and sends that to Dropbox. It then turns on gps, starts my tracks for I think couple min segments. Each time my tracks turns off it syncs to Google drive so I can see exactly where they are going. After that with autoremote or text I can initiate any of those actions as well as retake pictures with the front or rear camera, have it tell me what the battery life is, have it freak out. I can also initiate the lock down if I noticed it is missing by having some one around me text it the code. To do all these I user Tasker, autoremote, email me pro, secure settings and foldersync.

Another useful one is a profile that sets the screen timeout to ten minutes while the browser or reading app.

I work first shift so during that time it turns on wifi and sets it to vibrate.

When it connects to my car blue tooth it does a media control grab which keeps the music from playing automatically which I hate. It then gives a pop up that asks me if I want the music player.

Last edited:

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Using Tasker to mute the shutter sounds great! Gonna have to try that.

How is Tasker on battery when it's used for multiple profiles?

Posted via Android Central App

i have it on my note and my old S3, i havent noticed any difference. but i dont use it for location stuff, like doing tasks based on my gps, im guessing that would eat up battery.

andy roddy

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I love Tasker, but be aware that some of the triggers can seriously drain your battery. The app launch and SMS triggers really hurt battery life in my experience.

Overall, I still use it a lot, but I keep an eye on unexpected battery drain too.

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I use an NFC tag on my car dock to switch on bluetooth, switch off Wi-Fi, switch on Mobile Data, and pair with my radio, and start iBolt Dock and Drive, which is great for large buttons to start music apps and Satnav etc when driving.

I also use the app Smart Volume to go into driving mode when bluetooth is connected to car radio, to increase the volume according to the speed of the vehicle.

When the ignition is switched off I use the Trigger app (it's free) to switch off Bluetooth and switch on Wi-Fi, set volume to vibrate etc.

I have an NFC tag by in my desk dock to set "Office Mode" - put phone on vibrate etc.

Dirtdawg57

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I have probably over 15 text and app lunch triggers and have never had Tasker show up on my battery report with more than 2% battery usage. Most of the time it doesn't even make the list. Maybe it is somewhat because I am a heavy user and it drowns it out before even when I have hardly used it I haven't seen over 2%. GPS triggers like geo fencing and autovoice will though.

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I have probably over 15 text and app lunch triggers and have never had Tasker show up on my battery report with more than 2% battery usage. Most of the time it doesn't even make the list. Maybe it is somewhat because I am a heavy user and it drowns it out before even when I have hardly used it I haven't seen over 2%. GPS triggers like geo fencing and autovoice will though.

GPS triggers wont drain the battery, poor WiFi and mobile data signal will.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I had no real discernable difference in battery life on my previous phone. Haven't pushed anything over yet.

Dirtdawg - awesome "credit card" profile. Sounds deep to set up too... You may have to share. :)

Dirtdawg57

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Dakeb,
I guess I haven't looked in to it much. I thought I heard geo fencing did but they might have fixed it. But if you are going to use the true GPS you would have to leave the GPS location services on right? I leave mine off because it seems to drain my battery way too fast. When I open maps Tasker turns GPS on though.

TheMacs, I will have to start working on that! ;-)

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Dakeb,
I guess I haven't looked in to it much. I thought I heard geo fencing did but they might have fixed it. But if you are going to use the true GPS you would have to leave the GPS location services on right? I leave mine off because it seems to drain my battery way too fast. When I open maps Tasker turns GPS on though.

TheMacs, I will have to start working on that! ;-)

I leave Location Services on and am happy with my battery life. i don't use Tasker though, that might be it.

Andy Mei

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Car:
Use NFC, NFC Task Launcher, Tasker. Tag once, enable BT, GPS, max screen brightness, sound, driving mode, car dock mode, turn on CarHome Ultra, turn on WIFI tether, send email with location. Tag once more time, disable all enabled services/apps, turn on WIFI, send email with park location.

Weekday morning:
When tasker leave my home cell tower coverage, refresh all news app and podcast, disable mobile data to conserve battery while I am in NYC subway.

Leave work:
NFC tag that will refresh all my news apps and podcasts, send email to family I am leaving work. Turn mobile data off.

Office:
Turn on vibrate mode when I am on office wifi, vibrate mode off when I exit office wifi.

Home:
Wake my office pc on when I enter home wifi coverage.

I really would love to install more home automation products like locks, windows blinds, lights... etc. Still waiting for these products to become more affordable.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Awesome stuff folks. Getting off topic (Tasker profiles) a bit, but this is my first NFC capable phone... Looking forward to playing with it. And kinda makes me realize just how powerful Tasker is.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital