Hi folks! I've just taken delivery of my super N9005 Note 3 this afternoon, I'm in the UK. I haven't set it up properly yet, but before I do I just wanted to check something out. It's running 4.3 of course but a firmware update has been downloaded as soon as connected it. Can someone please tell me what this update is, and have there been any issues with it?
    Basically I want to make sure it's safe, especially as my (redundant) S3 update last week completely ruined the phone.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-23-2013 05:53 PM
    Hi folks! I've just taken delivery of my super N9005 Note 3 this afternoon, I'm in the UK. I haven't set it up properly yet, but before I do I just wanted to check something out. It's running 4.3 of course but a firmware update has been downloaded as soon as connected it. Can someone please tell me what this update is, and have there been any issues with it?
    Basically I want to make sure it's safe, especially as my (redundant) S3 update last week completely ruined the phone.

Usually the updates that are made to phones within the first few weeks are for fixing bugs and issues it had so I'd say go ahead and install it
    roguetrader likes this.
    11-23-2013 06:06 PM

Updates can't ruin a phone - all you need to do is reset the phone if something goes sideways after an update, and reload. It's pretty seamless and automatic if you have it setup correctly to start with.
    11-23-2013 06:24 PM
    Updates can't ruin a phone - all you need to do is reset the phone if something goes sideways after an update, and reload. It's pretty seamless and automatic if you have it setup correctly to start with.
    They can ruin a phone. Why do you think Samsung stopped updating the AT&T and T-Mo S4s?
    11-23-2013 06:41 PM
    Actually, the latest update of 4.3 on the international S3 has ruined thousands of phones (for now), including mine. That's why Samsung has pulled the update and we must all wait for a fix. I know about updates, but under the circumstances I feel fully justified in asking if there are problems with the one I'm talking about, especially having just laid out 500+
    I don't want a poorly tested update to render my new phone barely usable.

JellyBeanGurl likes this.
    11-23-2013 06:48 PM
    Actually, the latest update of 4.3 on the international S3 has ruined thousands of phones (for now), including mine. That's why Samsung has pulled the update and we must all wait for a fix. I know about updates, but under the circumstances I feel fully justified in asking if there are problems with the one I'm talking about, especially having just laid out 500+
    I don't want a poorly tested update to render my new phone barely usable.

Complete and utter BS. That's like saying viruses can ruin a computer - which they can't. Smartphone software updates can't screw up the hardware beyond a reset and reboot. If that were the case, you'd all be getting new phones for free. Do any of you know actually anything about phones and computers?

If any of you actually read my post above, you'd see what I wrote...and that's a fact. None of you have the slightest clue -

I'll say it again - reset the phone using the reset option in settings, and your phone goes back to it's out-of-the-box state. End of story.
    11-23-2013 07:33 PM
    You're wrong, I have reset my S3 and all the faults are still there. Samsung has issued a press release apologising for the update and is working on a fix. It's in the forums & it's been on mainstream news here in the UK - BBC, SKY NEWS etc.
    Why are you being so vituperative and rude? I asked a perfectly legitimate question about bugs in an update; if you don't know the answer kindly say nothing. What is your problem?

11-23-2013 07:54 PM
    You're wrong, I have reset my S3 and all the faults are still there. Samsung has issued a press release apologising for the update and is working on a fix. It's in the forums & it's been on mainstream news here in the UK - BBC, SKY NEWS etc.
    Why are you being so vituperative and rude? I asked a perfectly legitimate question about bugs in an update; if you don't know the answer kindly say nothing. What is your problem?

He's trolling. A virus can't ruin a computer? Ha!
    11-23-2013 07:57 PM
    Your distinct lack of knowledge of computers is showing -- both you and the poster above you. Enjoy your virus-infested phones and computers - all of mine are running perfectly after all updates.
    11-24-2013 02:14 AM
    Guys, what FBA is saying is that an update can't ruin a phone at the hardware level. If your phone worked great before an update, it's the update that's messed up. Something in the code, or the actual download, wasn't right causing your phone not to work correctly. Once the software is replaced with the correct software it will work as intended. Unfortunately, it takes time for Sammy, HTC, Moto, Google, etc., to find the troublesome code, fix it, and re-release the update. So yes, there can be bugs in an update keeping your phone from getting to the boot loader making it a brick or get stuck in a boot loop, but it can't physically destroy the wifi, radio, ram, SoC, etc.

FBA, there are/were virus's and malware that can imbed themselves into the boot sector of hard drives and controllers of Ram that will make them useless to the user. They need replacing or the infestation continues even after a fresh install of windows. Yes, some can be fixed by writing zero's but not many people understand what's involved.
    11-24-2013 04:47 AM
    Er, you're just stating what I said - I never claimed the hardware was ruined, I said the phone was ruined by an update - and that vile individual is spouting forth his vitriole on commentators in a manner which really amounts to personal attacks. He should get a life, we're just talking about a mobile phone for goodness sake. I asked a simple question - does anyone know of any difficulties with an update to the Note 3?
    What do we end up with? A diatribe from some recalcitrant individual seeking to boost his ego with his claims of superior knowledge about all things Android & computing. So what? I neither wish, or need to be proficient in 'computing' - I'm a doctor ffs. He couldn't even answer the question.
    Forums are supposed to be friendly places, facilitating the exchange of knowledge and tips within a specific community or paradigm/sphere.
    I doubt very much that I shall frequent these forums if there is much more evidence of the invidious and pernicious behaviour I have witnessed here; I'll stick to the medical forums where politeness and conviviality is the order of the day, and members are only too happy to share their knowledge, assist where they can and all without the slightest hint of superiority, or as we witness here, straightforward malice aforethought.
    Sadly, it's a sign of the times - the Internet has provided a superb medium for bullies and others who need to hide behind the annoniminity of a keyboard. I am of the view that there is no substitute for plain good manners, and will refrain from engaging with those who do not display same.
    Thank you for your contribution though.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using AC Forums mobile app
    zmann likes this.
    11-24-2013 06:25 AM
    Here's something I think you may find interesting -

Definition of ruin in English

ruin

Pronunciation: /ˈruːɪn/
    Translate ruin | into French | into German | into Italian | into Spanishnoun

[mass noun]
    • the physical destruction or disintegration of something or the state of disintegrating or being destroyed:a large white house falling into gentle ruin
    • [count noun] the remains of a building, typically an old one that has suffered much damage or disintegration:the ruins of the castlethe church is a ruin now
    • the disastrous disintegration of someone’s life:the ruin and heartbreak wrought by alcohol, divorce, and violence
    • the complete loss of one’s money and other assets:the financial cost could mean ruin
    • something that causes the disintegration of a person’s life or the complete loss of their assets:they don’t know how to say no, and that’s been their ruin

Now, if this is indeed what has happened to your phone, I think you would have great reason to use the term, however, I seriously doubt that's the case here. I could be wrong, but would stake a sum of money on that not being the case. In any case, if the software updates have actually done this to your phone, and it falls into any of the the above definitions, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for the cost of shipping, since it obviously does you no good. I can in about 10 minutes, bring the phone back to its out-of-the-box state, saving it from "ruin". Just let me know where I can have the phone picked up from and I'll be glad to take it off your hands! You can send the address via PM.
    11-24-2013 09:10 AM
    You really can't shut up can you? We're not interested. Clearly you have never heard of context, or colloquialism. Let me explain; no doubt you sometimes say 'I'm starving' - when you're not, you're just hungry; children in Africa are 'starving'. Or perhaps you might say 'I'm dead today', when clearly you're not.
    Pedantry really is as bad as sarcasm. You're beginning to look extremely immature and silly to be honest.

UJ95x and zmann like this.
    11-24-2013 05:31 PM
    You really can't shut up can you? We're not interested. Clearly you have never heard of context, or colloquialism. Let me explain; no doubt you sometimes say 'I'm starving' - when you're not, you're just hungry; children in Africa are 'starving'. Or perhaps you might say 'I'm dead today', when clearly you're not.
    Pedantry really is as bad as sarcasm. You're beginning to look extremely immature and silly to be honest.

Some people take things too literally...

Posted via Android Central App
    11-24-2013 05:45 PM

Really, "we" are not really interested? Who is "we"? Look who's being rude now, using terms like "shut up"...

I think perhaps you need to spend less time expressing yourself using the terms and vocabulary that you use, and spend the time to learn more about your Note 3 and S3, so you don't end up with "ruined" phones. Apparently, you haven't quite mastered that philosophy yet.

My offer still stands. I'll pay shipping and pick up your "ruined" phone.

It must be tough having all those fancy paper weights around. I just want to help you out. No need to be so rude, seriously.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-24-2013 06:24 PM