Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Anyone else wish they bought the galaxy S4 instead?

JoeyyNY

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I am use to the sizes..

Started with the S2 then jumped to the S3, then Note 2, then S4 and now Note 3 :D Samsung fanboy here.:thumbup:

Sent by the Best phone to live NOTE 3

JoeyyNY

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Anyone else wish they bought the galaxy S4 instead?

The other way around here.. I first had a S4, back in May..However, after hearing the more knowledge users screaming for the 32gb S4, and since Verizon and ATT had the 32gb version,(I am with tmobile and not leaving), I returned the S4 and waited.. 1 month, 2 month, 3 month,4 months went by and no 32 gb from Tmobile. In Oct, the mighty Note 3 made it presence. I had not heard or read about the Note 3, because I had tunnel vision on the S4. IMO, the S4 was the chit. No need to look at anything else. Sheesh, I read the specs on the Note 3, and she started with 32gb.. I jumped right on the Note 3. The Note 3 is an S4 on steroids..My wife has an S4..Like I said, the S4 is good, no, it is great, and the Note 3 just happens to be greater.. Both great phones... but, the Note 3 raises the already high bar that the S4 made, even higher.. :D

Lmfao Sorry but when you said "The note 3 is a S4 on steroids" that had me rolling! So caught me off guard

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

True but at some point a line has to be drawn. By that logic in 2 years people will be carrying around a 8 plus inch smartphone.

The dimensions of the Note compared to that of the S series of the time are roughly linear. I don't see the sizes accelerating much more than their current form. It would be like comparing TV sizes in average households 30 years ago to the average TV size in households today. You can't project that based on the fact that today's average TV is 20% larger, that in 60 years, people are going to have theater sized screens in their homes. There is a point of equilibrium where size doesn't grow at the same rate.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site

So people with big hands have issues because they don't want a tiny phone?

You're not a giant, a 6.7 inch phone does not look or feel normal making Phone calls to anyone lol

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site

The dimensions of the Note compared to that of the S series of the time are roughly linear. I don't see the sizes accelerating much more than their current form. It would be like comparing TV sizes in average households 30 years ago to the average TV size in households today. You can't project that based on the fact that today's average TV is 20% larger, that in 60 years, people are going to have theater sized screens in their homes. There is a point of equilibrium where size doesn't grow at the same rate.

True, he was only making a point based on the other guys logic though not based on that. Phones are huge remember when smaller was better! Seems like ages ago

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

You're not a giant, a 6.7 inch phone does not look or feel normal making Phone calls to anyone lol

But you don't ever have to hold the phone up to your head to make and receive calls. Speakerphone and headsets ensure that you don't. The ability to make and receive phone calls is a secondary function of these MIDs.

OptimuS G Pro

Last edited:

drewood31601

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I also came from the One and loved the phone. Decided to try the Note 3 just to see if I liked it and and now the one seems too small and I couldn't imagine returning to a smaller phone. Give it a little time and it may "grow" on you....pun intended

Posted via Android Central App

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I agree. This is the biggest mistake they made with the S4.

Palm Treo line > BlackBerry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW the awesome & powerful Samsung Galaxy Note 3! ������

You know, it's funny, but I guess I'm not overly concerned about "only" 16gb at this point. I really agonized over this when I bought my S4. It was scary. After setting up the phone and reinstalling all my apps, plus things I didn't have space for on my prior phone, and then adjusting to new protocols (like Kindle insisting on putting everything on the phone instead of the card, consistent with Android's new policies about cards), I couldn't get under 5.5 gb free no matter what I did. (Media is on my card, of course.) As time has gone on, I've had space to waste so I waste it with some large apps I almost never use. Still... All things considered, I still have nearly 5gb free.

I'm sure that will continue to gradually erode, but I'm also sure at this point that by the time it is a glimmer of a problem I will be upgrading the phone anyway. It's not like I was planning to keep this for 5 years. At this point, I'd say 16gb is just fine, as long as I have a SD card, of course.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I'm not but there are people out there with massive hands and such. I doubt people like LeBron use puny iPhones as their phones...

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

Heh, fancy seeing you here, I am going to get my note 3 tomorrow, and keeping my 9900 though. My Z10 is going to be "handed down" to my sales people.

One of those cases where size DOES matter. While the N3 is tough to put in a pocket, or even anywhere in a car in the front area, it's a small price for me to pay, considering everything else it does for me. I wouldn't go to an S4. I wouldn't go up in size, but not going back down either. I came from a Z10. iPhones seem puny to me now as well.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Lmfao Sorry but when you said "The note 3 is a S4 on steroids" that had me rolling! So caught me off guard

Well, I am Samsung "fanboy" just like you!!
thumbup%5b1%5d.gif

I was looking at the vast array of Samung phones that you have.. Wow!! :D I am a fanboy from other items. I just got into the slick phones with the S4.. I had some HTC something.. But, noticed the Samsung S3..Wow..Was going for that, and everybody started talking about the S4.. Read a little, and sheesh, this is better than the already good S3. So, I waited. Finally the S4 came.I got it..Even though I am novice, I read what the others are talking about. They were talking about more internal memory. Sure, the 16 might be good, but if I am chunking out 6 large, and want what should be up to snuff. I wanted a 32gb S4. So, as the story goes, I returned the S4, got my 6 large refunded, put it away so the wife would spend it, and waited.. Yes, I went phoneless for about 4 months..Wasn't ready about what is out, just waiting.. Finally, one day, I read about the Note 3, that was all she wrote!! :D Got this baby, and she does everything I want, and more. Way over my head.. That is the way I like things, more than I can handle...Man, I can't tell you how slick this thing is.. :D But, you got one, you know!! :D.. Not only that, I am hooked.. I wanted the S4 because I figured that would take the place of a tablet and a phone. Well, the N3 is killer in that department. Plus, I have teamed it up with the Galaxy Gear.. Oh boy.. Don't get me going...:D

Yes, fanboy here too. BTW, I got that Jump with Tmobile. If Samsung dares to come out with something that tops this, such as, and Note 4, or S5, I will be on it like hot on rice!!
badteeth%5b1%5d.gif

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

Do you really use your phone for more than 5 hours in one day? I know I don't. I usually get 2 days and 5-6 hours of screen time so about 2-3 hours each day, and I think that's still a lot.

I don't think that I understand your comment. I wasn't calling the S4's battery life bad (it's actually quite good), but the Note 3's battery life is great. As for how much I use my phone, I'm sure that I don't use any one device anywhere close to five hours in one day. I use multiple portable devices and I sit in front of a desktop computer upwards of 10 hours a day. My usage patterns may differ from yours also because I use things like Mobile Hotspot and stream music that don't call for much screen-on time, but are definite battery drainers.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Do you really use your phone for more than 5 hours in one day? I know I don't. I usually get 2 days and 5-6 hours of screen time so about 2-3 hours each day, and I think that's still a lot.

Weekends? No... Phone can last all weekend on one charge.

Weekdays? Pfft... Won't even last me into the evening due to me rocking it :D.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Weekends? No... Phone can last all weekend on one charge.

Weekdays? Pfft... Won't even last me into the evening due to me rocking it :D.

Lol. For me it's the other way around. Have school during the week so I use it for maybe a max of 2 hours. Weekends I use it for 3-4.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Lol. For me it's the other way around. Have school during the week so I use it for maybe a max of 2 hours. Weekends I use it for 3-4.

Yeah tomorrow I'll go to work with a full battery and screenshot it later in the afternoon. It gets rocked.. I use lots of data.. Streaming movies.. And have 2-3 people tethered to me.. It gets owned during work :p.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

If you're making Phone calls with a 6.7" phone you have issues

Back in the 80z it was cool to have a brick. I guess some people like it old school haha.

Sent from my LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site

I tell everyone who asks me if i like the phone the same thing.

If you can handle the size, in hand and in your pocket this is the best phone you can buy. Period.

If its too big then this is not the category you should be considering phones in. Move over to an S4 or One.

I was worried the phone would be too big to handle, but after a week i was used to it. No regrets here.

Ja5o

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Went from a Note2 to S4....constantly swapping between the 2 as I found the S4 too small for all its grandness. Finally decided to sell my S4 and trade N2 up to the N3...best decision I ever made (apart from the one deciding to leave iOS behind)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Went from a Note2 to S4....constantly swapping between the 2 as I found the S4 too small for all its grandness. Finally decided to sell my S4 and trade N2 up to the N3...best decision I ever made (apart from the one deciding to leave iOS behind)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

The Note 3 is a nice phone. HOWEVER, its the phone that made me start keeping two phones (and two lines). For all its sliqness, sometimes I wanted something different...smaller...simpler.

OptimuS G Pro